Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 10:57 pm

I had a wild idea, and I'm not sure how it would go down.

What if, the night (or few nights) before Christmas, or even on Christmas, each poster (that wanted to) sent a positive/supportive PM to a member, or members, that they haven't really interacted with before?

It would kind of be like a Kris Kringle, only there is no organization for it. I assume it would be a welcome surprise for most to discover a PM in their box, unexpectedly, especially from a person they aren't so familiar with.

The success would be dependent on many people doing it, otherwise only a select few would likely receive messages.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:50 pm

:D that sounds like a nice idea to me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:47 am

I like the idea.

First thought that came to mind was to message one/more people on here that I've clashed with in the past with some sort of genuinely positive Christmas PM. Perhaps I'll force myself to do that over the holidays - and say something real that I actually mean, not just some overly positive happy sappy stuff for the sake of it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:47 am

can it also be a public posting?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 5:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
can it also be a public posting?

The only rule is there are no rules, except the forum rules. 8)

I just thought it would be nice for individuals to receive a sincere PM from another poster - not a stranger, but a fellow member of the community. IMO it would improve the general atmosphere of the site, if there are more people that are known with one another, through a personal (somewhat) exchange rather than public discussion.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 5:49 am

Sounds like a good idea.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 5:51 am

I'm all for it :thumleft:

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 8:58 am

I also like this idea. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 9:35 am

Certainly.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

I'd be up for participating in this.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TerryD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2014, 10:07 am

It may be difficult for me because I cannot express my feelings and thoughts well, but it seems like a nice thing to try.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:23 am

It’s a nice idea.

But as you hopefully understand, I for one find it hard enough to express support in a specific situation. I’m not sure how to word a generally supportive PM to someone I’m not close to without anything in particular leading up to it.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who wonders what such a PM might say… If you have pointers, Norny…
Would it just say merry Christmas or something like that? Would it say something about a particular problem they’ve mentioned on WP?

I really like the idea, I just want more details.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:10 pm

I'm a bit worried that some people might end up feeling sad and depressed when they don't receive any Christmas PM's while others receive multiple PM's. As the OP mentioned, only a select few might receive many and others none. So for this to succeed, each person that participates probably needs to send PM's to many unfamiliar members to cover all active members.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:34 pm

jk1 wrote:
I'm a bit worried that some people might end up feeling sad and depressed when they don't receive any Christmas PM's while others receive multiple PM's. As the OP mentioned, only a select few might receive many and others none. So for this to succeed, each person that participates probably needs to send PM's to many unfamiliar members to cover all active members.

is there a way to see an alphabetized list of all members here?

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

jk1 wrote:

I just thought of this as well. I remember Valentine's Day in my 2nd grade class when we did something similar and I got like 2 valentines in my box and some other people got like 30. It was basically a popularity contest, and that doesn't really serve the intended purpose at all !

How about we just use one common thread where we can post our holiday cheer & wishes, and everyone can come enjoy them all ?

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 5:24 pm

^ auntblabby, you can filter in the Registered users; memberlist.php?g=17&mode=group&sk=a&sd=a

I like the idea, but am also wondering how it would play out.