What kind of supports/accomidations would make life easier?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ScaryAspie92
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2014, 5:33 pm

What kind of supports/accomidations would make your life easier as an Autistic person? Make a list it can be from employers, family, friends, agencies like The Autistic Socieity for example. I'll start

1. Support worker to help me with cleaning and shopping and social stuff (I have this luckily)
2. People understand that I have a disability and that having a disability makes me diffrent and mean I have trouble with some things but that mean I'm bad, stupid or lazy
3. Don't Judge me for having a meltdown or shut down

Okay your turn (this can include people with other disabilities beside ASD as well)

Autism Spectrum Disorder/Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD-PI, Mild Cerebral Palsy, Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, unspecified sleep issues and Learning problems (in Math and Slow Processing Speed)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 5:44 pm

Work-related things:
dark/quiet/temp-controlled office by myself (have this)
flexible work schedule (have this)
few meetings (nature of the lab, so have this)
few written/spoken reports (nature of the work, so have this)
no social obligations (nature of the lab, so have this)

I adapt to:
interactions with research participants and students
experiments requiring high executive functioning
collaborations with other researchers
communications to keep things running (not too much, since lab and office managers handle these)
providing my own structure to get things done
schedule changes with students and experiments
professor requests, sometimes urgent, often short-notice
large amounts of things to do

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2014, 6:01 pm

1. Talk to me.
2. See 1.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 6:17 pm

I need some people to enunciate more clearly when they speak to me, speak more slowly or take more pauses so I can have a chance to speak.

Understand if I am unable to speak or don't have anything to say, I am not doing it on purpose to be rude.

Important conversations need to happen in a quiet environment with minimal distractions and background noise.

Would like to be able to start work a bit later in the day.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

Disability payments
Someone to cook and clean
Transportation
Regular gentle massage, and the fingers on my back thing
People to be quiet when I am overstimulated
Less judgement and more understanding in general
weighted blanket
dawn simulator

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 7:57 pm

Someone to tell me what to say when I have to make business calls so I don't stand there stuttering, puke, and hang up. In a perfect world, I wish someone could just DO THIS FOR ME, but that won't happen and probably won't work anyway.

I'd like it to not mean that I'm either stupid or lying if I have to take time to digest what I've heard and formulate an answer.

To be allowed to assign housekeeping chores to certain days of the week and post a visual schedule and checklist in an unobtrusive place instead of being expected to "look around and know what needs to be done."

I wish that someone could remind me to sit down and pay bills, without getting nasty or angry about the fact that they have to remind a 36-year-old woman with plenty of money to sit down and pay bills.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 9:47 pm

Cybernetic implants to fix all of my weaknesses!

I would also like a ton of cash, a personal doctor and thus freedom of access to all medications that can help me.

As for what is actually obtainable, my life would be a lot easier if my parents were not so defiant toward the struggles of real mental illness/disorder. Both presume that everything is one's fault, and that 'hard work' is almost always the answer, when it comes to mental capability. Though there are times when they give in to what I have to say and listen. I don't have horrible parents. ;P

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 10:39 pm

I wish I could conduct interviews in text, with no open ended or social questions, and with as much time as I need to respond.
I wish I could wear comfortable clothing at interviews/work.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 12:06 am

One of the biggest thing I can think of is someone to help me pay bills, cook and clean. I can do most other things on my own, and I can't really hold down a job, even with help. I'd also need someone to make/take phone calls for me. This is something I can't do myself because I get easily frustrated and overwhelmed by what they ask me. D: