Are you clumsy? A klutz? A little uncoordinated?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2014, 12:38 am

Yep, I regularly walk into table legs and such, and still get discombobulated on the stairs in my own house despite having gone up and down them a million times. I was hopeless in team sports, they just moved too fast for me. I stay in shape by jogging or cycling – alone, can't stand to be in a crowd – and by lifting weights, which I can do slowly and carefully.

Like others my fine motor skills are okay though, and I have a fiddly hobby.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2014, 2:53 am

Yes, I am. Embarrassingly so... my Dad isn't on the spectrum but would now be diagnosed as borderline dyspraxic we suspect, my sister (also not on the spectrum) was diagnosed at 4 as being dyslexic and was told that she was on the borderline of dyspraxia too so it's definitely in my family. My sister had quite intensive help and you would never ever know now that she would be anywhere near the borderline so she's a great advertisement for the benefits of early intervention.
I'm not good at most sports, especially anything involved in being in a team. I am however fiercely determined and competitive so that helped. I can swim fast and I can ski well because I skied since I was 6. I am also extremely lucky that I had a highly sporty mum (my mum is significantly dyslexic but very very good at sports) so she did lots of things with us as children such as lots of catching balls in the garden, bike rides, ball games of various types, lots of swimming, skiing, horse riding etc. We were a very active family and I know that without that I would struggle a lot, lot more than I do now. I am just very very clumsy and have to concentrate hard with tasks such as going down stairs and things requiring hand eye coordination. I do not have a clue where my body begins or ends.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 4:46 am

Large clumsy. Extra Large uncoordinated. Small klutz.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 7:42 am

Yes I’m fairly clumsy and uncoordinated, hopeless at catching/throwing/kicking in ball sports, never made it onto the formal sports teams, last picked for informal games, door handles are my nemesis, I misjudge narrow spaces, knock items over when reaching for them, stub my toes, close doors on my hands, at the gym I don’t use equipment like cross trainers because I find it mentally exhausting to focus on leg & arm coordination as part of aerobic exercise. But, aside from being a klutz, I’m a strong swimmer and a generally fit person.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 11:34 am

It depends. There are times when I almost fall over or stumble on my feet. I also tend to walk into the corner of the wall, even when I know it's right there. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still bugs me. I also can't catch a ball worth s**t either. I've gotten better at throwing though, but it's not like I'm the best at it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm

I've always been alittle clumsy but I also have a couple physical disabilities that contribute. A tremor disorder that acts up when doing things with fine motor-skills & a rare low vision disorder that causes me to be very nearsighted & some colorblindness & light sensitivity. I also have a brain processing issue with things I do see visually: I can be looking right at something I am very capable of visually seeing but not realize it's there.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2014, 3:55 pm

I don't trip over things, and in fact I could be athletic, if only I had depth perception and if my hand-eye coordination weren't so bad and if I didn't have tunnel vision.

Plum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2014, 7:03 pm

Probably Bella from Twilight levels of clumsy. I've hit my head so many times that it's not even funny. My legs are always covered in bruises. I drop stuff all the time. But I have a good hand eye coordination because as a child I practiced and practiced and practiced and practiced and practiced. So, I can catch a ball and throw a ball but I am not so good at double parking a car. I also rather too frequently walk into the door frame when I'm trying to get through, it's like my mind thinks my body is in a completely different coordinates to where it actually is.

Know your rights: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/communication-success/201406/how-spot-and-stop-manipulators

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2014, 7:20 pm

Yes, I'm pretty clumsy. There is a report in my filing cabinet written by a school psychologist when I was in first grade on how underdeveloped my motor skills were. I'm constantly hitting into things, knocking things over, tripping, etc. I am also totally incapable of using scissors.

My clumsiness is made considerably worse by the fact that I blind in one eye and have very poor depth perception.

XandirKai
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2014, 9:26 pm

Oh I know I am. I was fairly good at sports. My main one being golf. But everyday things I am terrible with. I wear steel toe boots everywhere because I hit me feet on everything. I am also very prone to head injuries, and just standard bump my head on things. Sometimes work is hell for me, due to bumping into so many things. And when I hit my head, I go straight into a rage fit. Lol.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 10:23 pm

XandirKai wrote:
Oh I know I am. I was fairly good at sports. My main one being golf. But everyday things I am terrible with. I wear steel toe boots everywhere because I hit me feet on everything. I am also very prone to head injuries, and just standard bump my head on things. Sometimes work is hell for me, due to bumping into so many things. And when I hit my head, I go straight into a rage fit. Lol.

This reminds me, sometimes when I grab something in the refrigerator, on one of the lower shelves, I often hit my head under the freezer part ... and I get mad at myself, and of course I do it again a few days later ... and again ... grrrrr. Sometimes I also hit my nose on the cupboard doors (and my nose is medium/normal size, not big lol), while closing or opening the doors.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2014, 3:04 am

Hilariously, not long after posting on this thread, I promptly walked into my parents' sofa.

ICollectWatches

08 Dec 2014, 8:48 am

Shadi2 wrote:
sometimes when I grab something in the refrigerator, on one of the lower shelves, I often hit my head under the freezer part

Ahuh. Bend over to pick up cat bowl, hit head on counter top. I learned to bend over in the kitchen not facing the counter.

I also learned to never ever, under any circumstances, leave one of the upper cabinet doors open, even for a moment, because I'm bound to bang my head into the corner of it. It's a wonder none of these incidences resulted in a hospital visit before I learned this lesson.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:59 am

I would say I'm pretty uncoordinated. I don't like doing things that require more coordination than average.

I do okay in everyday life, though. I can drive (though I drive carefully at intersections). I don't break things too often. I slip--but I don't break bones--I just get right up, and "walk it off."

Superficially, I don't "look" as clumsy as I did when I was younger. I just walk like a spunky 53-year-old.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2014, 1:44 pm

I occasionally hit myself in the face at night because I can't tell where my hands are without being able to see them. I also walk into tables and chairs a lot. And doors... I really don't like doors. I broke two toes last week by opening a door too fast.

However, if I can see where my feet or hands are, I have no problems with coordination.

lwolf
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2014, 3:27 pm

Yep. It's very entertaining being around me. Just today i stood up full height in a short bay window to hang up xmas decorations. Smacked straight into the concrete at the top lol

Grew up in and out of a and e due to injuries. A grade A clutz :)