Does anyone make everything about them

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

bookworm37
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2014, 4:09 pm

Find this one hard to explain but as I lie in bed every night going over in my head the days conversations that I've had or even ones I've just over heard my colleagues have I start feeling paranoid that they were all about me and I even start to make it all fit and believe it and start to get really anxious obviously this is not the case but it just seems to be like a habit I've got into, I've looked online and it fits more with having paranoid schizophrenia but just wanted to see if people on here have any experience with this happening to them

Stormtrooper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2014, 5:10 pm

Happens to me too sometimes. If something goes wrong in a conversation (the other party makes a "weird" facial expression, smile/smirk, or says something out of place), the conversation gets stuck in my head and I get a lot of anxiety/panic for the following few minutes, thinking I somehow screwed up.
Sometimes I will replay it in my head right away to reassure myself.
Other times it creeps up to me when in bed and keeps replaying over and over.

As for your original question, no, this doesn't happen with everything, but it's probably because I've made peace with the fact that people do and will talk about me. There's no point in obsessing about it.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

I do that too, especially when something sizable happens.

Most people do this to some degree, it's just us aspies do this over social stuff.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 10:18 pm

I've done this for as long as I can remember. I've even been told by my manager at work that it is not all about me all the time. I've been called self centered and selfish. When I'm at home I review conversations and think there all about me in some way. Then I remind myself that people don't think like I do and don't analyze the conversation I had with them as intensely as I do. When someone is mad or happy I think it has something to do with me.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

RUserious
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2014, 8:08 am

As my psychiatrist friend asks,"Is this solipsistic? Or is it just me?"