Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

I was very obsessed with certain TV programmes by the time I was 7 years old. I think "Riverboat" was the first. I couldn't fathom the plots very well - it was the idea of the boat itself that fascinated me. I could hardly bear to miss an episode of that, or "Supercar" (note the common theme of a show based on a vehicle). I was quite fascinated with dinosaurs for a long time. When I was 10 years old I was obsessed with Doctor Who and the Daleks, and I couldn't get enough of The Beatles. Then I was obsessed with forming a band and making records. As time went by, all the TV stuff ceased to interest me so much, and all my efforts went into music (or more accurately, music technology). I developed crushes on girls when I went through puberty.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Dec 2014, 10:59 am

I was also big on dinosaurs and Jurassic Park, I wasn't even 2 when it came out and was the first movie I saw at the theater. Apparently I was the one that asked to see it. This interest in dinosaurs spread to reptiles in general, I loved crocodiles and Steve Irwin.

I also really liked Pokemon and the card game(altho I just collected them mostly rather than actually played), I spent hours play the game on GameBoy too.

I liked pro-wrestling too which intensified after I was like 10, my older cousin was big into it most my life and I had a friend who liked it too. We use to have our own wrestling matches on this king size mattress and this tall dresser next to it, I like to think we had some five star matches lol but we had to stop around the time I was 11 or 12 since we were showing up to school looking like our parent's beat us. I'll still watch it even now.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 12:33 pm

Peanuts cartoon strip. I was obsessed with that group of kids during childhood. I identified very strongly with Charlie Brown and made Lucy the villain. Forget the sentimental merchandise; the cartoon strip itself was ruthless and unsentimental about children. The Peanuts gang weren't huggy-wuggy in the slightest bit; there was social hierarchy, competitiveness, bullying, bossing about, etc. There were very rarely any happy endings; Charlie Brown continued to be sad and lonely most of the time; Lucy continued to boss everyone about 6 ways to Sunday; and so on.

It was harsh reality - and I understood that even at the tender age of 9 or 10. But being a kid, I also enjoyed the comical aspect of Peanuts as well. In fact I loved comics and was a regular reader of British comics such as The Beano, Buster, etc.

Another interest was nature in general and dogs in particular. I was getting a different nature book out of the library every week at one point. Think I just found the photos soothing.

And, finally, fiction. Was a prolific reader as a child. If only I could get lost inside an imaginary world nowadays... That said, I never imagined fantastical things. I enjoyed reading about them, but my daydreams were largely prosaic, IIRC.

Angel_the_alien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Dec 2014, 12:52 am

As a kid I was obsessed with orphans (which somehow began when I watched the musical Oliver) which I know sounds almost mean. But I was intrigued by orphans and orphanages. I used to put dirt on my face (or marker or chalk) because I thought it made me look like the orphans in Oliver.

I also loved the "olden days"... particularly the 1800's and early 1900's... which was spurred on by both the Oliver movie and the Little House On The Prairie books.

Any book or movie about orphans IN the olden days was my idea of the BEST THING EVER!

As I've gotten older I've had more short-term obsessions of certain foods, TV shows, hobbies, etc. Animals, especially dogs, are a long-term obsession of mine. Genealogy is a more recent obsession.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 1:04 am

I started being obsessed with topics around age 10, all science topics all the time, and it still is.
The only other obsessions I have had are pre-age-10 block-building and animal/transportation-drawing activities and as an adult, ice skating that caused me to get up at 6 am when it was 5 degrees outside to walk to a skating rink for morning skating hour.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 4:25 am

Although I had preoccupations with things before that, I would say that my first obsession was with the little sister of a playmate. I was 6 and I wished she was my sister. It lasted the year I was 6.

My second obsession started when I was still 9, but for the most part when I was 10, and 3rd when I was 11, with my 4th obsession starting when I was 11 going on 12, starting with interest soon turned into an obsession, which lasted way into my teens.

Throughout my teen years I had obsessions with TMNT.

I had interests as a child, like reading, writing, children's shows and games that had nothing to do with obsessions or special interests.
I always liked animals, dinosaurs and cars, trains and other means of transport, but I think they were more like interests than special interests.
I always cared about animals and have always felt very strongly about animal rights and welfare, and conservation of endangered species, but I don't think that constitute a special interest, it's a value, a cause I believe in.

When I was 6-8 I was very into seals, I guess they were my special interest at the time. I think my special interest in dogs started at around 8.

My turtle special interest started when I was about 14, but I have always liked turtles, always thought they were cute.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 6:15 am

Stickers, DVD, cards, cartoon pictures, other people

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Dec 2014, 10:58 pm

Legos, TV, & later video-games took place of Legos

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm

When my childhood obsessions began to boil over, it was nothing more than crushes I had on girls who didn't really give a care about me.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

Ants.

They even took me to the emergency room once when I was standing in the middle of an ant bed looking at the ants and didn't move until I was covered in them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 8:37 pm

Arts and crafts (coloring, accessories crafting, drawing), some video games and parlor games, aluminum foils, vexillology(which I didn't knew what it was called that time), magnifying glasses, houses (which ended up ugly, as people mistaken me for a kleptomaniac), soap bubbles (which gave me so much entertainment and so much trouble).

I guess that's my list.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

KAOS
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2014, 6:38 am

Wow, so many fascinating topics!

@Edna: How did you get into trouble because of soap bubbles?

@Eric: Did you ever have ants in a terrarium at home? Some people do that, I've heard. Must be very interesting to watch them.

sdu
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

As a young child, I was obsessed with keys, remote controls, fans, and drains. Around the age of 5, I started getting into banknotes (still one of my interests), fire sprinklers, and, a few years later, heavy machinery.

I've also had a lifelong interest in cars; I used to go through phases of obsession with certain vehicle parts (tyres or headlights, for instance) when I was younger.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 4:20 am

KAOS wrote:
@Edna: How did you get into trouble because of soap bubbles?

I was only 6. Aside from giving my mom a headache by being messy around the house, it's also confiscated at school. I was obsessed with it before I entered elementary. So obsessed with it, I end up ignoring the rules, and repeatedly disobeying it by still playing and experimenting it in wrong times, sometimes in wrong locations. I end up almost getting myself banned from handling any form soap to me. :mrgreen: It got better control of it overtime.

That's the brief story.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 4:24 am

KAOS wrote:
@Eric: Did you ever have ants in a terrarium at home? Some people do that, I've heard. Must be very interesting to watch them.

I've considered that before. I've seen ant farms on a number of occasions where there are just a few ants between two panes of glass about one ant apart.

A terrarium about five feet square would have interested me, but I never would have been permitted to do that.

Antigone2J
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2018, 9:01 am

My first obsession occured when I was about seven, right after I learned to read.
I loved ancient myths and legends, for example the Greek and Roman mythology, the Old Testament, the Song of the Nibelungs,... And I also enjoyed looking at the Renaissance paintings where those myths were depicted.
Even though I am majoring in a completely different field now, I still get very excited when talking about the legends. :)