Are there different factors that cause HFA and LFA?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2014, 12:07 pm

Just curious about what research exists between the likely differences in what causes someone to be high or low functioning on the autistic spectrum?

I also wonder about whether the causes of being on the spectrum could be the same (genetic), but each individuals position on the spectrum could be influenced by other factors? If that was the case, would it be desirable to find ways to allow all autistics to be high-functioning, or by wondering about that am I being as bad as someone who is nt-centric?

Also, if position on the spectrum is influenced by other factors, are they likely to be in-utero or post-utero? Would it be possible for someone on the high end of the spectrum to slide into the low end, or even just lower down on the spectrum due to a change in environmental or nutritional factors? I've already heard of children on the lower end of the spectrum "blooming" into the higher end of the spectrum as they got older (link).

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm

Intellectual ability is probably the most important factor differentiating LFA vs. HFA.
Studies have shown many times that IQ is most correlated with functioning like social behaviors and language use.
Commonly, in clinic and research, IQ differentiates LFA vs. HFA through a number cutoff like 70 or 80.
For children, this number is generally used.
For adults, most HFA in research studies have higher IQs, like 100+.
The bloomers who had severe autistic traits in early childhood but then their traits moderated and they became high-functioning by teenage years did not have intellectual disability, that was their common trait.