Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 1:40 am

I got an appointment and I am going for an assessment tomorrow morning! I am so scared. I am not sure if I should mention to the doctor or not that I had a childhood diagnosis, that my sister confirmed to me she was aware off, before my mother went postal and destroyed my medical records. (That is a looong story, my mom is nuts). I am going over stuff I want to talk about over and over, read about seven different articles on advice as what to say and I am still nervous as hell. What if I forget something? What if I am late?

I am a high-strung person and cannot even seem to go to bed. I need to be up by seven and its past midnight! :? I guess I just had to let that out of my chest. Any last minute advice? I mean what should I wear, what should I avoid doing? :?:

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 2:23 am

Wear whatever suits you, something you like. You're not there to impress them. I'm sure they've had plenty of nervous people they've given tests to so you won't be the first nor the last. I wouldn't worry about avoiding doing anything. They are professionals, I doubt there is much that they haven't seen already. I think you'll do fine.

Last bit of advice... Just be yourself! :D

Edit: Good luck!! !! :P

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 12:36 pm

Thank you for the advice. Turns out they do not handle ASD at all here but I got a referral, which is the good news. The bad news is they charge $2175. They do not do payment plans and they only take military insurance. They did give me a name for another place that MAY BE MORE AFFORDABLE. apparently almost no one else in the parish deals with autism spectrum. I am going to have to save money when I have any to save. But its a step I guess.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:15 pm

I've been through that: I had my hopes up and thought I would be seeing someone with experience diagnosing autism, then found out they wouldn't assess me when I got there and that I'd have to find yet another place. It was not easy to deal with have my expectations dashed.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:34 pm

I really hope all the best for you. Good for you for being proactive and only going to an autism knowledgeable place. I had my first done at my University and it could have gone a lot better. The second psychologist I saw had family with autism and had done many many assessments.