Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Xanthic~Rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 12:23 pm

I haven't seen much research on this, but my wife was telling me about an article that was trying to link autism with preeclampsia. We had a conversation about this, and it got me wondering. My wife had severe preeclampsia, so my son had to be born 10 weeks early via emergency c-section. He weighed 2 lb. 11 oz. at birth. He was born so early that his esophagus hadn't connected to his stomach yet, and he had to be fed intravenously for the first 2 months of his life until he gained enough weight to safely be operated on. But first he was separated from his mother and relocated 2 hours away cuz the hospital he was born at had lost their anesthesiologist. We were all relocated for two months, and this right after moving. He was hooked up with wires and tubes for his first 2 months of existence. A couple times he stopped breathing and turned blue...it was one of the scariest things we'd ever witnessed! He was finally released from the NICU about 73 day later. It was the most trying time of life for everyone involved. As far as traumatic births go, it was pretty bad. If the doctor hadn't checked her blood pressure when she did, neither of them would've probably survived.

I guess genetics gotta be there first, but I hear about this article and it makes me wonder if traumatic birth experiences might not be a contributing factor too. Almost as if the autism has something to do with your nervous system fighting back against harsh and (often) unforeseen circumstances. Has anybody else here heard anything like this, or have any anecdotal evidence to support it?

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 1:00 pm

Well, I was born two weeks late and my head was so large that when it went through the canal/ I was born, I had a seizure. I was on phenobarbitol for the first year and a half of my life and the doctors thought I would be completely unresponsive/ severely ret*d.. I am the only child in my family (of 7 kids) that had that happen to them and I am the only one on the spectrum.... So hey, maybe.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 1:36 pm

I was a breach birth. Which means I came out butt first. Sounds painful! Sorry Mom! 8O But I may have had cord around my neck for a bit. My son had problem too. Different problem but same cord around neck issue, and he emerged blue, maybe not breathing. I was there. We both have light/moderate case autism.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2014, 2:55 pm

My mother told me that I had gotten caught in the birth canal for a very long time. The doctor was finally able to pry me out with forceps. Because of that I now have a visible scar right above each eye...which, btw, he just missed hitting which would have blinded/partially blinded me. 8O

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Dec 2014, 4:41 pm

My Aspie brother was born two months too early, depraved of oxygen, with the cord twisted around his neck. I was an easy birth, but also an Aspie.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 6:34 pm

As far as I´ve heard and read, a traumatic birth is believed to be a contributing factor.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Dec 2014, 9:31 pm

The doctors said I was going to be born a couple months later than I was but I was full size so they were probably wrong like they were when the said I was going to be a girl. My mom was in labor with me for 3 days.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:14 pm

My birth is not traumatic, but autism is very heavy handed in my family.

Mum's brother is an Aspie. His son is too.

As for my father, I received most of my comorbidities from his family.

Genetics are big too, not just a difficult birth stage.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:50 pm

I needed a C-section

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:55 pm

I was born premature and there were several complications. I was in the hospital over a month after I was born.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:59 pm

According to my mom, my birth was normal. The only real thing to note was that I was 10 pounds when I was born, which I'm told is heavy for an infant.

ksf777
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2014, 3:12 am

The only book I have read referring to traumatic births was "Realms Of The Human Unconscious" by Stanislav Grof.I don't remember him mentioning any connection with autism.Some people may be turned off by his work regarding LSD psychotherapy but his credentials are solid nonetheless.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2014, 3:34 am

EzraS wrote:
I was born premature and there were several complications. I was in the hospital over a month after I was born.

Same, except I was in the hospital for a longer time. I have birth-related complications as a result of being born so early. I suspect my ASD/AS is a result of my premature birth; the synapses of the brain are still making connections and being pruned in the last trimester. I was born 15 weeks early and my brain was forced to function long before it was ready.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 6:28 am

This sort of thing always makes me feel miserable because I had a normal/healthy birth with no complications at all, and yet I'm still inflicted with ASD. The boy next door to me is 100% NT, but did have a lot of complications at birth, plus both of his parents were in their 40s when he was born! But he still gets to be NT.
But me, I was born 4 days past my due date, it was a quick and easy birth, my head was average size for a baby girl, both my parents are NTs and were both in their 20s, and my mum said that my NT brother nearly died from lack of oxygen when she was giving birth to him, but that didn't happen with me at all.

Well anyway I'm starting to feel I don't have AS anyway, as I found I have more ADHD symptoms than anything else.

Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 6:37 am

My birth was normal and I'm a poster child for autism :|

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 7:28 am

886 wrote:
My birth was normal and I'm a poster child for autism :|

Same here.

All these efforts to link Autism with single events are troubling. For every one of the different type of births mentioned in this thread as correlating to Autism, there must be 50 or more of the same types of births for which Autism is not a correlative result.

Can we get a little scientific here, please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.