vacationing with parents--any advice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pleasekillme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2014, 9:17 pm

I'm going to an all-inclusive resort thingy in Mexico next week for two weeks and I'm wondering if anybody has any advice on how my parents and I can go about not murdering each other on our trip. I know the sorts of things I need to feel OK (solitude, etc.), but these are often at odds with the weird family values my dad gets every now and then. Does anybody know how we can vacation "As A Family" without them getting angry at me for getting angry at them?

Obviously this brief thread can only invite the most general advice, but I'm happy to give more details to narrow it down.

I've traveled with them before, but this is my first time doing so as an adult.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm

Well I figure I would need for any general vacation with my Dad's family, a family that sounds like yours.
-Many many hours worth of private solitary entertainment (books, MP3 player etc.)
-Independence, the right to go off alone and do my own thing, having my own rental car etc.(this may complicate a Mexico trip as it isn't always advisable I hear).
-Plan ahead for everything, food, itinerary's, anything you will do, consume, view etc. and know what is expected of you and what their going to do while their, example unexpected trips to the outlet malls is asking for meltdowns.
-Research the destination and contribute to the planning, don't leave it all to them and expect them to read your mind, I have made this mistake so many times, they will assume all is good.
-Be honest now! don't wait until the airplane lands to make your opinions and ideas known. that's too late.

From there I would know if its even worth going and what to look forward too or not. personally I would never go to a Mexican resort because I want to live and don't want to be stuck at a resort for weeks sitting around, home is far more comfortable for doing that. Good luck and have fun!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 1:12 am

It's kind of a broad question. I haven't vacationed with my parents since I was 16. They showed surprising lenience on that trip, which is highly out of character for them. I ate meals with them, and we went into town together, but other times, I did my own thing. Usually, it was playing organized sports games and relay races during the day, and playing pool with men twice my age in the bar at night. (There weren't many other teens at the hotel.)

Quick question for you: What part of Mexico are you going to for your vacation? Is it Yucatan, adjoining the Caribbean Sea? (safe) Or somewhere along the Pacific coast? (not so safe)

Your profile says you're 25, so it's highly unlikely that you'll be joined at the hip with your parents. Chances are, you'll be off doing your own thing, whether by yourself or hanging out with people your age you met. Agree on things like how many meals will be eaten together, what excursions you'll be taking, how often to check in with each other while apart, etc. If you're in the Yucatan part, you can probably go into town by yourself during the day only; just remember to exercise common sense. In other parts, stick to the hotel and tourist areas. Agree on how much at the hotel you'll spend together, and how much time apart. Be ready to give in, especially if they're paying for you. And finally, insist on not having a curfew. You shouldn't have to; you're 25. There's nothing dangerous about dancing in your hotel's bar/club, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Some words of advice:
* Find out what guest activities your hotel offers. Do they offer cheesy games by the pool and vaudeville-style shows in the theater? Do they do something more cerebral? Or is it more like "here's your room, here's the ocean, have at it"?
* DO NOT RENT A CAR. Mexican laws dictate that you cannot leave the country until the other driver's damages are paid in full. Since you won't know local laws and/or might not speak good Spanish, the other driver can easily manipulate the situation in their favor. Hire a private driver instead; usually, it's more common for people who come on a cruise to do it, but nothing says you can't. It's about $100 per day per carload of passengers; if you're alone, it's all on you. Those drivers speak English, but generally won't mind helping you practice your Spanish.
* Learn conversational Spanish if you don't already know it. Even if you don't leave the hotel or stick only to touristy areas, you'll get better service if you speak to the workers in Spanish. Plus, many of them will tell you some pretty interesting stories, rather than sticking to business. Don't worry about broken grammar or substituted words; usually, they'll respect you for trying.
* The "Shave and a Haircut, Two Bits" tune is highly offensive in Mexico; it's like cursing someone out. DO NOT whistle it or drum it with your fingers.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 9:39 am

This summer I had a trip wih my father, his wife (not my mom) and my nephews to Florida. I'm 27 now - and that was pretty awesome. I've planned list of places to visit for it to be interesting more or less for all of us. Of course sometimes we had to compromise, and also trip with little children is always a bit wierd but anyway we had no problems.
So my main advice for you is to plan the activities what and when to do, and propose it to others - not many people like planning while on vacation so it almost certainly will be accepted.
Sometimes there can be separate activities, sometimes together - if everyone has no maor contras against and so on.
Afterall in Florida they very glad and said me I can be tourist guide and planner. So that works.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 9:43 am

1. Drink the water.

2. When "Montezuma's Revenge" sets in, ask only to be left alone in your misery.

3. Grab the TV remote, and log as many pron flicks as you can while they are away from the hotel.

4. Deny everything.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.