Has this site suddenly become more nasty?

Page 10 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Nick22
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

Eloa wrote:
Nick22 wrote:
Oh yes, I can see the brown colour now I am looking more carefully. She is very pretty. Have a very happy 2015, Eloa.

Happy New Year, Nick22.
In the country I live in (European country) it is 01.01.2015, 1:27am

Happy New Year, Eloa. It's 01.01.2015, 1:17 am in UK now!!

Nick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

Kuribo64 wrote:
In my experience, WP has always gone through phases. Sometimes, it's a wonderful place to be, but there are times when what I'd like to think are a vocal minority generate a very hostile atmosphere. Unfortunately, it's just something you'll have to accept if you're going to post on a forum as large and busy as this.

This.
Things go in cycles here. There is always a minority of folks with chips on their shoulders spoiling for a fight. There were enough a couple of years ago to actually infect the whole atmosphere. Right now the atmosphere is comparatively laid back and friendly IMO.

But new folks with chips on their shoulders are beginning to appear to renew the cycle.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 10:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Where do you live in Alaska?

Alaska's one of my "special interests"

Wasilla area.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 11:11 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I eggsplained about egg and berry words on wp before, it is because I like eggs and berries, so I add them to words. I also like noodles, but it is harder to add noodle than egg and berry. Egg is just because I like the food and my mother thinks I will die of cholesterol disease if I eat more than one egg at a time more often than twice a week. My phrase verry merry berry comes from the very berry smoothie at costco, which I like a lot, but I need to spell consistently. In general, I enjoy using slightly different terms, like I call my parents iMother and iFather, while grammar and spelling are grappar and smelling. iFather also makes up words or twists words while applying new meanings esp. related to bathroom humor, so iMother has to update me on New Vocabulary whenever I don't go home for awhile.
You would enjoy Jamaican patois. They have so many words that are tweaked and flipped and added to... it's really poetic. For example scraping is kray-ping, scratching is kratch-ing. a bang-a-rang is a disturbance. There's a funny expression they use when surprised... blouz-n-skirt... yup it's blouse and skirt... and kiss me neck back... is another exclamation.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2015, 6:20 am

Nick22 wrote:
I say this as someone who has been a member for just 18 months or so, so I am conscious there will be those who have been around for much longer. It's just that I have got a lot out of the helpful advice and simply reading posts over the last 15 months. But roughly around the time the site changed its "look", I've noticed it seems to have become dominated by some pretty self opinionated and, in a couple of cases, rather unpleasant posters.

I really miss the feeling of support and respect I used to get when I visited the site, say a few months ago. Now I just get a wearisome sense of boredom and annoyance with a few jumped up individuals and their equally out of proportion 'avatars'. Something has happened, and I can't put my finger on it, but I just wonder whether anyone else feels the same way?

Yes it has. I've experienced it personally from two people, one who misinterpreted something I said, and another who mocked me for looking something up on google and applying it to myself, people who I am ready to name.

Awilder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 3:56 pm

I've been part of wp for 7yrs off & on though still, in keeping with the content of the post yes there has been times I've come across persons here that have posted things which were not very sincere and tended to be caustic.However, part of that might have been my own interpretation though, this does not mean there are not unpleasant people within wp realms as in the rest of the world.. You simply have to make the best logical judgement of your awareness of what's read and the intent..

We are like the wind,
Wrapped, luminous wind,
We make a road for the spirits to pass over.
For the Spirits to pass over.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 11:25 pm

I do think a lot of what people think of as 'nastiness' really is bluntness and more direct challenges from people with different experience than most are used to.

For example, I'm one of the two or three most knowledgeable members on this board concerning firearms, I actually have a degree in gunsmithing and decades of informal study of everything to do with them, including laws, impact, and politics (aspie, after all), and I regularly find myself getting into it with people because they say things that I know are wrong, and am not shy about telling them that. Since this is an international forum, I encounter a lot of people who not only have no experience with guns, but have no knowledge of how they work, what they can and cannot do, how they're made, etc, yet still have strong opinions based on false information and are condescending and dismissive of me (oh, you must be one of those red neck Americans...), or in one memorable case, found my knowledge so suspicious that they said they'd inform the police if I was in their neighborhood (a Brit, in case you're wondering). I will fully admit, I'm less than nice to people like that, though I'm scrupulous to follow the letter of the rules regarding personal attacks and insults, I simply make it very clear that they're not qualified to hold the opinion that they're asserting, that they don't know what they're talking about, and that they should learn if they want to have an intelligent conversation on the topic. I should add that if someone seems genuinely interested or has said something that is incorrect but it appears to be an honest mistake, I'm happy to discuss the issue with them, as it is an interest that I enjoy talking and teaching about, it's the people who enter the conversation aggressively that I take to task. You can see good examples of both approaches in this thread, some of my finest work on the subject.

I use guns as an example because it's the subject I'm most closely identified with here (though honestly, I don't bring it up and am more passionate about freedom of speech these days), but I see it all the time on a huge variety of topics, where someone comes in and makes an inflammatory or insulting comment about some subject or another, people react to the comment as most people would when insulted, and then the insulter sulks off complaining of the "nasty" environment or complaining of being "silenced". I'll actually step in and ask people to tone it down if someone innocently steps on a landmine and is getting a disproportionate response (I'm looking at you, L&D feminists...), but when someone starts or enters a thread with unearned condescension right from the start, I say they had it coming. (I should also add that if the comment actually crosses the line and breaks the rules outright, I just report it, I don't bother with trying to "handle things myself" anymore)

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I forgot to answer about the sentence: I didn't feel anything when I read the sentence.
I wondered what a plastic egg thingy is, and what was leaking out of it.
I guess the egg was?

I think I understand.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:24 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I do think a lot of what people think of as 'nastiness' really is bluntness and more direct challenges from people with different experience than most are used to.

For example, I'm one of the two or three most knowledgeable members on this board concerning firearms, I actually have a degree in gunsmithing and decades of informal study of everything to do with them, including laws, impact, and politics (aspie, after all), and I regularly find myself getting into it with people because they say things that I know are wrong, and am not shy about telling them that. Since this is an international forum, I encounter a lot of people who not only have no experience with guns, but have no knowledge of how they work, what they can and cannot do, how they're made, etc, yet still have strong opinions based on false information and are condescending and dismissive of me (oh, you must be one of those red neck Americans...), or in one memorable case, found my knowledge so suspicious that they said they'd inform the police if I was in their neighborhood (a Brit, in case you're wondering). I will fully admit, I'm less than nice to people like that, though I'm scrupulous to follow the letter of the rules regarding personal attacks and insults, I simply make it very clear that they're not qualified to hold the opinion that they're asserting, that they don't know what they're talking about, and that they should learn if they want to have an intelligent conversation on the topic. I should add that if someone seems genuinely interested or has said something that is incorrect but it appears to be an honest mistake, I'm happy to discuss the issue with them, as it is an interest that I enjoy talking and teaching about, it's the people who enter the conversation aggressively that I take to task. You can see good examples of both approaches in this thread, some of my finest work on the subject.

I use guns as an example because it's the subject I'm most closely identified with here (though honestly, I don't bring it up and am more passionate about freedom of speech these days), but I see it all the time on a huge variety of topics, where someone comes in and makes an inflammatory or insulting comment about some subject or another, people react to the comment as most people would when insulted, and then the insulter sulks off complaining of the "nasty" environment or complaining of being "silenced". I'll actually step in and ask people to tone it down if someone innocently steps on a landmine and is getting a disproportionate response (I'm looking at you, L&D feminists...), but when someone starts or enters a thread with unearned condescension right from the start, I say they had it coming. (I should also add that if the comment actually crosses the line and breaks the rules outright, I just report it, I don't bother with trying to "handle things myself" anymore)

It is well known that bullets from assault rifles create a sonic vortex that will spiral it past badguys and always hit innocent children and women. Sometimes 2 or 3 poor souls before stopping.
For a standard .223 round it can travel up to 720 miles before killing a happy puppy. (if no "innocent" women or children can be located)

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2015, 2:38 am

olympiadis wrote:
The psychopath forum may be less huggy and supportive.
I mean it might seem huggy and supportive at first, but you know they don't really mean it.

There's a psychopath forum? IF you're joking, what forum are you referring to?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:43 am

Only if I've been posting more. :P

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2015, 3:17 am

Long read, but very interesting (11 pages now). I recently was banned for life (including my IP address) for SPAM. I contacted Alex, since there are no other contacts listed. Thankfully, I remembered the actual spam message on the forum I was banned for. It was like hacker stuff. Incoherent soccer trivia that had lots of strange characters in it. I never received a response from anyone, though a couple of days later I was allowed to log in again as if nothing had ever happened. It made me really paranoid that some moderator or hacker was trying to kick me off the sight for something I said.

I have opinions, but I've never attacked anyone else for theirs. If this were purely a support site, as others have said, I would probably be on hear much less. Also, isn't a symptom a Asperger's (for lack of better words) pissing people off because of missed social cues. Why should people be reported because they have strong opinions? Only once, about six months ago did I view a thread in L and D where personal attacks were made on a lady for her post. They even attacked her for having a Spock avatar. It appears that the only true support forum on the site is the Haven. How can someone be offended by stuff posted on here if they have a facebook account as well? Facebook and Youtube are full of trolls. An acquaintance from high school who unfortunately popped up with a bunch of others who were never friends of mine were constantly saying mean things that would stick in my head and ruin my day. One even made fun of people with physical deformities. I logged off facebook for good, but I don't believe I can actually delete my account. It appears they own me for signing up.

From all of the complaints I've read in this thread about people being offended by people who are opinionated, I can't help but wonder how many people I've offended or will offend with this post.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 3:25 am

1401b wrote:
It is well known that bullets from assault rifles create a sonic vortex that will spiral it past badguys and always hit innocent children and women. Sometimes 2 or 3 poor souls before stopping.
For a standard .223 round it can travel up to 720 miles before killing a happy puppy. (if no "innocent" women or children can be located)

Hush, there are people here who will actually believe that... :lol:

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2015, 5:05 am

olympiadis wrote:
I mean it might seem huggy and supportive at first, but you know they don't really mean it.

Still looking for the "psychopath" forum. If you mean the Bipolar, tourettes, ect. forum, then you are all being extremely condescending to these people by referring to them as psychopaths. And how do you know if they really mean it or not? Maybe alex should step in here and give you a repremanding as was stated he did in another thread. But I'm not going to report you people. However, if you're the ones getting your feelings hurt, you should reflect on your own comments.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 3:37 pm

noodler wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

Still looking for the "psychopath" forum. If you mean the Bipolar, tourettes, ect. forum, then you are all being extremely condescending to these people by referring to them as psychopaths. And how do you know if they really mean it or not? Maybe alex should step in here and give you a repremanding as was stated he did in another thread. But I'm not going to report you people. However, if you're the ones getting your feelings hurt, you should reflect on your own comments.

Pretty sure this is a joke.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2015, 4:57 pm

Ganondox wrote:
noodler wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

Pretty sure this is a joke.

I didn't think joking was allowed on here.