Just got back from mental institution.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 1:21 pm

Well, I called up my doctor on Friday asking for Risperdal, they sent me on a goose chase that ended in a fight with a social worker and I had been in the loony bin ever since. Just got home about 1 hour ago. I hope to god it never happens again...what a horrible experience. My eyes are all messed up and I can't even think straight. Therapist appointment in two hours now...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

I've been in the 'loony bin' twice, I tend to get severely suicidal at times so you know....But yeah first time was pretty crappy looking back at the whole experience but didn't get abused by staff or anything, just cramped small enclosed ward...no supervised walks outside, terrible food that set off my digestive discomfort issues, adjusted meds...then I had to stop one they prescribed me there within a week of getting out since it was causing some weird things.

The second time was better, and at a different place...but yeah wouldn't really want to do it again, but cannot guarantee I'll never be contemplating suicide and how to do it ever again. So yeah have been in one but, I am thinking maybe the reason I ended up there was a bit different than yours since mine didn't involve arguing with any social worker or anyone.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:37 am

Yeah, it was really tough. I don't ever want to go through that again.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2014, 4:52 pm

I've been in twice too. Exactly ten years apart. Weird. It was just a hospitol psyche ward, though. Haven't been in a state institution. My friend has been several times, though. He says it's holy hell. They filled his bottle with tap water once a day and that was all he got, except at meal time. The last time I was in, I didn't have my glasses, and was deprived of medication for a while. I got really paranoid. I was afraid of many of the people in there and constantly thought I could hear them saying bad things about me (or threatening me). While I was getting my blood pressure taken, there was this huge guy sitting across the room from me. I couldn't see well enough to see if he was talking or not, but I heard direct threats for me to stop looking at him. When I got up and walked towards him, he was still ranting, but his lips were not moving. It was all in my head.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

Six times myself, plus a handful of overnight stays at psych ERs. First one at 17, last one in July. I've never had any truly horrific experiences, but I've never really had any truly pleasant ones, either. Usually it's just a week of simmering down and med stabilization, then a week of sheer boredom until I'm released. The most I can really say about them is, good or bad, they still let me out feeling better than I did when I went in, so at least they're doing what they're intended to do.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

noodler wrote:
I've been in twice too. Exactly ten years apart. Weird. It was just a hospitol psyche ward, though. Haven't been in a state institution. My friend has been several times, though. He says it's holy hell. They filled his bottle with tap water once a day and that was all he got, except at meal time. The last time I was in, I didn't have my glasses, and was deprived of medication for a while. I got really paranoid. I was afraid of many of the people in there and constantly thought I could hear them saying bad things about me (or threatening me). While I was getting my blood pressure taken, there was this huge guy sitting across the room from me. I couldn't see well enough to see if he was talking or not, but I heard direct threats for me to stop looking at him. When I got up and walked towards him, he was still ranting, but his lips were not moving. It was all in my head.

wow that's creepy.
p.s.
and how big was the water bottle?

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

I'm not sure how big it was, but he said it was inhumane. I met a fellow the last time I was in the psych ward who had AS and had been to the state hospitol. He said it was total chaos. The part he was in, everyone was crammed in one big day room. He said his friend was in there with him and he jumped off a table and body slammed the tile floor. Apparently got hurt pretty bad. just total chaos.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 11:30 pm

noodler wrote:

Wow that is screwed up, considering being in a psych ward and/or mental institution consists of being hospitalized you'd think they'd ensure basic needs are met not limit patients to one water bottle a day, sounds unhealthy. Though cannot say it surprises me abuses like that have gone on and probably still do in some facilities. It always does concern me that I could recieve bad treatment in such a place should I feel suicidal enough to go to an ER again.

Sounds like a rather unpleasant experience you had as well.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 11:44 pm

I've been in one a few times - alcohol and depression, only the one I go to is a private one. More like staying in a motel - without the grog.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2014, 12:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
noodler wrote:

Wow that is screwed up, considering being in a psych ward and/or mental institution consists of being hospitalized you'd think they'd ensure basic needs are met not limit patients to one water bottle a day, sounds unhealthy. Though cannot say it surprises me abuses like that have gone on and probably still do in some facilities. It always does concern me that I could recieve bad treatment in such a place should I feel suicidal enough to go to an ER again.

Sounds like a rather unpleasant experience you had as well.

I don't think the psyche wards in regular hospitols are that bad. I was just in really bad mental shape when I was in there. The state hospitols are what you want to stay out of. Most of the people in the psyche ward were just coming off drugs. To be honest, they were the ones I felt so uncomfortable around. The people I talked to and felt the most at ease with were the people who had non drug related mental problems. The people coming off drugs seemed more hostile. Which makes sense, I guess, because coming off heroine is supposed to be the nightmare of nightmares. I hope you don't try to commit suicide again. There's always hope. You can PM me if you want. I haven't gotten any yet, and I'd reply.

Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 6:37 am

Always keep that in mind, mental institutions are a joke. You're treated as inferior and defective and they believe the only hope for you is medication. Do everything you can to stay out of one, fighting social workers is generally a bad idea..

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 6:56 am

886 wrote:
Always keep that in mind, mental institutions are a joke. You're treated as inferior and defective and they believe the only hope for you is medication. Do everything you can to stay out of one, fighting social workers is generally a bad idea..

Depends. I've been in ones which were very accommodating with care and therapy, and I've been in ones which were essentially like crappy adult day cares. Sure, there are some sucky ones, none of them are overall pleasant and it's best to stay out of them altogether, but from my own personal experiences I'd be lying if I said they all didn't help me in some regard. Beats killing myself.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

noodler wrote:

I don't think the psyche wards in regular hospitols are that bad. I was just in really bad mental shape when I was in there. The state hospitols are what you want to stay out of. Most of the people in the psyche ward were just coming off drugs. To be honest, they were the ones I felt so uncomfortable around. The people I talked to and felt the most at ease with were the people who had non drug related mental problems. The people coming off drugs seemed more hostile. Which makes sense, I guess, because coming off heroine is supposed to be the nightmare of nightmares. I hope you don't try to commit suicide again. There's always hope. You can PM me if you want. I haven't gotten any yet, and I'd reply.

Well last couple times I was feeling suicidal I ended up in the psych ward before any attempting. First time just told my mom to take me to the ER, then the last time I told my therapist how she was feeling and so ended up going to the ER...I try to take nessiary action before I am ready to actually attempt, but I worry I could slip up and not realize how bad my mental state really has gotten till its too late.

strillingeee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

i was in hospital for 7 months because of my anorexia all together probably 10 months in wards..
wow many fun

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 6:26 pm

So sorry that happened to you, Girlwithaspergers...I'm glad you're out of there now.

I've never actually been to one of those places, but I came dangerously close to it about a month ago when I emailed a former therapist who'd moved away about how I'd been feeling depressed and suicidal for months, and she called my folks at the buttcrack of dawn to tell them about it, and recommended to them that they commit me to someplace (I didn't think she'd care THAT much, given how she'd moved away and all). Fortunately, my dad came to talk to me and I told him I didn't feel that way anymore, so I didn't have to go.

By the way, I love your current avatar...one of the best animated movies ever. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 12:49 am

I was in it once, I wanted to kill myself, I almost overdose on pills.