Hummingbird

07 Jul 2020, 11:51 am

so I have high functioning autism?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 12:05 pm

Mild as in...
Less severity and easier to compensate with, or having more than enough compensation abilities to keep up with more severity?

But sure, Autism without intellectual disability is the textbook's definition of High Functioning Autism.
The main difference of HFA from Aspergers is that AS doesn't not have speech delay when HFA does.

And, well... Books says Aspergers is an outdated term, practically replaced with Level 1 Autism.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 12:09 pm

Weren't you getting assessed recently? Did they not clarify what functioning level you were, or what support level you were, and just told you it's "mild"? Did they say what got you a "mild" autism diagnosis?

Joao2005
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jul 2020, 12:21 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Weren't you getting assessed recently? Did they not clarify what functioning level you were, or what support level you were, and just told you it's "mild"? Did they say what got you a "mild" autism diagnosis?
é leve mais não asperger por o meu qi é 75 limitrofe?is it mild but not asperger because my qi is 75 borderline?

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2020, 1:57 pm

According to autism.org.uk:

"A clinician might describe someone as having an Asperger syndrome profile if there has been no clinically significant delay in language or cognitive development but they still have social communication difficulties. They may also have specific delays in motor development as well as motor 'clumsiness'.

So, if you have had a language delay (i.e. started speaking late) or a cognitive disability (below average IQ), then you probably don't have Asperger's.

I was formerly on the more 'severe'/'low-functioning' end of the autistic spectrum with significant language delay but have been relatively high-functioning now for the past 12-13 years. However, though my language skills have since caught up, I still have a mild intellectual disability so you couldn't really call my autism 'Asperger's'.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2020, 7:02 pm

AS will not be given as a diagnosis currently. Before, AS meant there was no language delay, HFA meant there was. Now there is no language delay requirement for an ASD diagnosis.

Levels 1-3 are all there is now to the diagnosis. 1 is clearly on the more AS/HFA side, and 3 more classic autism. The overlap is 2 which is somewhat of a more gray area.

ASD level of severity is not technically a matter of IQ. There may be correlations, but there is no specific requirement for IQ with regards to diagnosis of the levels.

You can be level 1 with a relatively low IQ (below average), but I think if it's sufficiently low to qualify for an intellectual disability, this means you're at least level 2.

Dreamtastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2020, 8:59 pm

Well, I think that autistic traits are probably more along the lines of being on a spectrum rather than a clear "this person has autism, that person does not" sort of situation. Under the current rules, you couldn't get diagnosed with Asperger's. It is possible that some professionals give "mild autism" diagnoses to folks they would have formerly given Asperger's diagnoses to. Some people still think of Asperger's as "mild autism."

I also think that my autism is probably mild compared to many folks on the spectrum. I am probably closer to being neurotypical than a lot of autistic folks. If I ever did get a formal diagnosis, I'd be willing to guess that I would get a level 1 diagnosis. Then again, a lot of it is learned behavior and coping mechanisms over the course of a lifetime, so it's hard to say for sure.

Still, even folks with "mild autism" can struggle a great deal, especially with social relationships and making friends. We need help just like folks who have more severe levels of autism!

Phoenix20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2020, 1:13 am

HFA = speech delay. Aspergers = no speech delay.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 9:30 pm

HFA=is not and never was a real diagnosis. Asperger's is autism without a clinically significant speech delay. Asperger's is not ASD Level 1. Anyone who has a well-established DSM-IV Asperger's diagnosis is to be given an ASD diagnosis. The "severity level" of a person formerly diagnosed with Asperger's could be any of the levels, theoretically.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 9:34 pm

There are certainly “Aspergians” who could be “Level 2.”

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 9:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Exactly.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 10:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

That’s probably what I’d be diagnosed as if I were to be reassessed using DSM 5, unless they harp on having a speech delay, which I don’t. Original diagnosis under DSM 4 (and almost 20 years ago - things have changed a lot and in a lot of ways for me since then) is Asperger’s syndrome, probably because I had no speech delay (and trying to transition to adulthood (and doing an excellent job of failing at it) has brought more of my symptoms to light).

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 9:37 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That’s probably what I’d be diagnosed as if I were to be reassessed using DSM 5, unless they harp on having a speech delay, which I don’t. Original diagnosis under DSM 4 (and almost 20 years ago - things have changed a lot and in a lot of ways for me since then) is Asperger’s syndrome, probably because I had no speech delay (and trying to transition to adulthood (and doing an excellent job of failing at it) has brought more of my symptoms to light).

Speech delays are now a separate specifier so your level would not be determined by a speech delay.