Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lockna
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

I am incapable of eating dinner with others, due to the sounds of silverware scratching on the plate, on other silverware, etc. The shrill sound it makes is worse than nails on a chalkboard to me. I literally cringe at the sound, and it causes extreme anger. I can't stand eating with others because of this, and everyone always says I'm overreacting and will not try to tone down the sound. Is anyone else like this? A sound that causes severe pain and anger?

zoidbreezy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2015, 11:09 pm

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 1:41 am

zoidbreezy wrote:

Yes, it sounds very much like misophonia. People with misophonia react to very specific sounds, and each person can be different in what sound or sounds "trigger" them. A fork scraping on a plate would be quite a plausible trigger for some people with misophonia.

In addition to the Wikipedia article, there are quite a few videos on YouTube about misophonia - even a two-part documentary made in Irish Gaelic (there are English subtitles)! Just searching for "misophonia" will bring up a longish list of videos.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 4:12 am

I think its one of those things it would be better never to mention to anyone (Irl. Its ok to talk about it here or with counselors, etc) & come up with hidden way to deal with it.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 10:40 pm

I hate it too. I often use plastic for myself because it is quiet, maybe others can too.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 7:12 pm

Yeah, I can't stand that scraping fork thing, either----and, I don't do it, when "I" eat. I don't think I've ever eaten with anyone who has done it, excessively, though----if they did, I would ask them to please stop; because, alot of times, people don't realize they're doing it.

Jimothy1669
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2015, 7:36 pm

Not fork sounds so much, but the sounds of people eating and drinking have much the same effect on me (and my mum and sister, strangely enough). Fortunately I have a hearing impairment, or it would be much more of a problem than it already is! As it is, I avoid being around people who are eating and drinking unless I can cover up the noise with the TV or radio. I had an ex who was very rude to me when I asked him not to eat unless there was background noise, so I'm generally too ashamed to admit to this problem nowadays: it's really helpful to hear others have similar issues.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

I don't mind but when it's apropos I really prefer chopsticks. I've been turning Japanese for quite some time...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:34 pm

I am misophonic as well. I cannot stand chewing noises, or lots of other things.