Has anyone else been told they are too blunt?

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Oct 2015, 1:12 pm

Yes. I'm very direct, straightforward & don't know my tone of voice or expression on my face.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Oct 2015, 1:20 pm

I'm blunt with the people I know very well, and yes, they tell me that I am being insensitive or rude sometimes.

In the presence of people who are strangers, I am hyper-aware of their words and intonation and tend to be mute until I gather more of a sense of who they really are and if it is okay to be myself around them. For instance, today I was on the phone with someone but I was hardly answering back because I did not want to say the wrong thing to them. Turns out, they thought my silence was super awkward and made an excuse to get off the phone with me as soon as possible. I KNEW that that was what they were doing and they no longer wanted to talk to me, but I only realized that after the fact. And yes, that realization hurts.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 1:40 pm

Oh, yes! I have been told many times that i am too blunt. I also get the sarcastic "tell us how you really feel!" often when i say something that i did not mean rudely, just being honest. i don't always think i am rude so much as direct. I have had people tell me at times that they admired my tactfulness. But i cannot always tell when my honesty is good and when someone is offended; and that is where it has gotten me into trouble. I just do the best i can and shake my head at the people who can rudely tell me how terribly blunt I am. It seems that NTs can be rude to aspies and feel justified in doing so. But our inadvertent rudeness, which was not meant at all maliciously, is a "character flaw" that can be worthy of their contempt. As if I were a child and a stupid one at that. I am a grown woman and i am not dumb. Socially challenged at times but intelligent. It does not make sense to me. But how to solve the problem i am not sure. I just do the best i can and try to avoid too many social blunders. I have found that if someone is truly my friend they look past this and appreciate the honesty behind what comes across as bluntness at first.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 3:22 pm

...just goes to show the staggering amount of deception that is built into the hive mind.
It nauseates me.

Templeton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2015, 3:24 pm

When I was in my mid twenties my boss, at the time, did me a massive favour. He was a really nice man and was well respected.

One day, in an uncharacteristic moment, he told me that I was 'blunt and rude'. I don't take criticism easily and spent some time digesting this. I was really p××××d off initially.

I'm so glad that he was blunt and rude with me. it was a revelation. It inspired me to be much more careful.

I'm far from perfect even now. I'm often silent because I can't think of anything good to say. I get accused of being overly diplomatic because I use my intellectual skills to try, too hard, to work out what others want to hear. Sometimes my humor shocks people.

I'm still learning.

ZenWistalia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2015, 2:21 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
This guy told me yesterday that "even a brick has more compassion than you." You know, it does get tiring to apologize all the times for the things I've said. Really, being rude is the last thing I want to do. My "politeness filter" just disintegrates sometimes, leaving me to express nothing but the blunt truth. I wish I could sugarcoat all my words and be phony (or so it seems anyway) like normal people but I just don't have that skill.

Wow, that was a horrible thing to have to hear.
I feel the same way. Sometimes I do warn people if I'm possibly about to be blunt/judgmental.

elkclan wrote:
Living with bluntness is grating - it shreds the self-esteem of others.

It often shreds my own self-esteem as well.
I do occasionally realize that I just said something rude/blunt, but other times I don't.
It sucks when you really mean to be nice and caring, but come across as blunt and rude.
On occasions I've told people specifically that I really don't mean to be rude or a jerk. Because, I really don't want to be!
And it's so frustrating when I do!

Amity wrote:
Sometimes I don't realise that my words had a negative impact, and remain in blissful ignorance until the person cuts me out of their social circle.

That's all too familiar to me ... :cry:

goldfish21 wrote:
I remember this one incident when I was in business school when I shared my opinion on a topic and a girl in my class responded rhetorically with "tell us how you really feel" and my response was a puzzled "why would I say anything else?" :lol:

LOL!! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

nerdygirl wrote:
However, I still say many things that are borderline inappropriate. Usually, these come across as funny because people just can't believe I would say such a thing!

Sounds like me.
I have a really odd, often eccentric, sense of humor.
Often it involves being blunt as well.

An example:
Someone messages me "Are you there?"
And I respond, jokingly, "Nope"
Now, I don't do that enough to really annoy people.
I try to be funny by saying that I'm not there, even though it's obvious I am, because I responded!! !
(I have had MUCH "worse" humor before, but I can't remember at the moment :lol: )

Often my humor is also called "cheesy" or "dry" :P

-Ben

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 2:24 pm

One time when my mum's friend was driving me home from Karate class, she asked me if there was a time when someone would leave the dojo [training centre]. I replied that we just did, but then I realized that she meant leaving to train elsewhere. :oops:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 2:42 pm

elkclan wrote:
Living with bluntness is grating - it shreds the self-esteem of others. Just because something can be said, doesn't mean it should be.

Apparently it really pisses off narcissists, egomaniacs, and others who primarily serve their own identity.

ZenWistalia

04 Oct 2015, 2:46 pm

olympiadis wrote:
elkclan wrote:
Living with bluntness is grating - it shreds the self-esteem of others. Just because something can be said, doesn't mean it should be.

Apparently it really pisses off narcissists, egomaniacs, and others who primarily serve their own identity.

Yeah ... and they are often blunt/rude as well!

LOL, first thing that came to mind when I read your reply is "Donald Trump" :lol:

-Ben

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 4:33 pm

No.

I have been rude, but it's usually intentional, like if I don't like the person or are feeling cross or angry about something. But often I am too polite. That's just my nature.

I can't be blunt. I hate being blunt. Usually I'm thinking things in my head that I will never say. A few examples of some conversations I have had where I used a white lie instead of saying what I really thought:-

Person 1: It's my birthday next week. I'm going to be 63
Person 2: Oh my God, you don't look 63!
What I'm thinking: Yes she bloody does! In fact I thought she was much older than that!
But I didn't and wouldn't say that. I just enthusiastically agreed with person 2. I mean, person 2 might have been thinking the same thing as me too. But I didn't like person 1 that much, so I think my thoughts were more harsh and I wanted to say it out loud. But I wouldn't.

Person 1: I dyed my hair yesterday!
Person 2: I like your hair! It looks really nice
What I'm thinking: I don't like it very much. It's too bright and red and doesn't suit her at all
What I actually say: Yes, it really suits you!

Person 1 (an overweight person): Oh, did you have any cake left over from your birthday yesterday?
What I'm thinking: You don't need any cake anyway, you need to lose some weight!
What I actually say: No, sorry, it all got eaten up.

Person 1: Did you like your Christmas present from me?
What I'm thinking: It looks like a cheap, secondhand item what an old person might buy, it's not really my thing at all
What I actually say: Yes, it's nice, thank you very much.
To be more convincing, I'd add something like ''I like the little patterns around the top of it''.

Person 1 (a good friend): I'm sure those people next door to me have been in my front garden again, I know it, I just know it!
What I'm thinking: You've been saying this same thing for the last 2 years, I think you are being too paranoid
What I actually say: Those neighbours of yours sound so horrid! But don't worry, they're the weird ones, not you
The good friend feels better that I'm on her side and supporting her.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2015, 5:38 pm

My mom tells me I'm rude and selfish.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 6:55 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
I was very blunt when I was younger. It always puzzled me how other people didn't speak their minds forthrightly. Why flirt with a girl when you could just tell her outright that you liked her; why the subtlety and unspoken rules of social interaction? It never made sense to me. I mistakenly used to think that most human problems could be fixed if people would just say what went unspoken. It took me a long time to understand that people seldom appreciate blunt honesty.

Occasionally, my mouth still goes where angels fear to tread, but I've learned to temper my speech a bit over the years.

I agree with your views when you were younger.

I am often blunt and people do, on occasion, yell at me.

However I think it is good to be honest, people usually appreciate that. For instance, if someone asked me if they look bad I'll answer honestly. For the betterment of the inquirer.

I also feel that people are so used to expected social reactions and conventions that they think anything outside of that is rude or unacceptable.

For instance, when someone had told me their grandfather had passed away during the summer and I responded with a neutral "okay" and they called me a dick. They later apologized and said that they didn't expect much of me considering my condition.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 7:10 pm

Rudin wrote:
For instance, when someone had told me their grandfather had passed away during the summer and I responded with a neutral "okay" and they called me a dick. They later apologized and said that they didn't expect much of me considering my condition.

And that's when you reply by calling them a dick.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 7:13 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Rudin wrote:

No, my response was "oh".

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:27 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Rudin wrote:

I don't know why it's worth starting a fight over. Probably they were expecting sympathy. People don't bring up stuff like that if they don't want sympathy. I can see depending on tone how a neutral "okay" might not sound exactly neutral. It might sound a little like "whatever" or "I don't care" which is more obviously offensive.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 4:31 pm

marshall wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Rudin wrote:

I don't know why it's worth starting a fight over. Probably they were expecting sympathy. People don't bring up stuff like that if they don't want sympathy. I can see depending on tone how a neutral "okay" might not sound exactly neutral. It might sound a little like "whatever" or "I don't care" which is more obviously offensive.

My experience has been that when you allow an insult to slide you will only continue to get insulted. I prefer not to deal with insults so I'll stop them right in their tracks.