Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SashaHunter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jan 2015, 3:37 pm

Do any other autistics hate ASMR? I'm autistic, and those sorts of sounds give me the heebie jeebies! My brother used to torture me by tricking me into putting on headphones (with the pretext of showing me a cool song or something) then playing an ASMR video while holding my arms so I couldn't take them off or by sneaking up behind me and whispering. It makes me freak out and arch my back and bang my head against things and make animal sounds of distress and I get goosebumps all over. It happens literally within 10 seconds of hearing ASMR. Does anyone else have a strong reaction to those kinds of sounds?

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2015, 3:57 pm

Do you mean that you hate the condition of ASMR or that you hate the sounds that usually trigger people's ASMR and the videos people make to trigger it? As for me, I have something very similar that is triggered by sounds, some good and some really bad, but whispering and the like does absolutely nothing for me. If I watch an ASMR video it's just mildly annoying unless there is something else that triggers me, like they have an accent or they use words that are triggering.

That's a real jerky thing for your brother to do. Is he a kid? I hope so, as it is a bit more understandable for a kid to try to pick on his sister than it would be for an adult. Still, it's a very jerky thing to do. I'm sure he's just trying to tease you, but he doesn't understand that it isn't just mildly annoying to you, it's very upsetting. Maybe you should try to explain to your brother how it feels in a way that he could understand. Maybe tell him something like, "When you play those ASMR videos for me, it feels like it would feel to you if someone kicked you in the groin." Sorry to be graphic, and I know that's probably not exactly what it feels like to you, but that would get the point across that it is seriously unpleasant, not just mildly annoying.

SashaHunter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm

I hate the sensation of ASMR which is triggered by those videos. It's like getting tickled directly on my spine nerves and it's WAY too intense.

My brother started doing that when he was 18 or so, now he's 20. He doesn't do it so much, but that's mostly because he's moved away.

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2015, 4:38 pm

Which videos or sounds ? I get this when I hear liberals talk

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:46 pm

What's ASMR?

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:52 pm

I've felt this way before.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 9:57 pm

I get ASMR and it feels SO GOOD. Sorry it's unpleasant for you.

But maybe I don't get it because mine happens randomly; when I watch the ASMR videos (usually the crinkly package ones) it doesn't feel as good and is more like a mild seizure.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2015, 9:59 pm

Depends... I love pretty much every ASMR video on youtube... however I believe that nails on a chalkboard is the same principle and I freaking hate that. Same with scratching pillows, paper, cardboard. Even thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2015, 10:07 pm

I'd say it's not ASMR that you're getting then, as people say ASMR is pleasureable. I would describe it as a form of audio/tactile synesthesia which I also have. Some sounds that I hear feel extremely good, and then others make my guts feel like they're crawling around inside me.

If it makes you feel better, you're not alone in being teased by siblings. I went to the school for the blind, and they gave us these tape players where you could change the speed or make them play backwards, and the kids at school as well as my sisters would take great pleasure in making the blasted things talk backwards or flipping switches so that when I played a tape it would talk backwards, thus freaking me out and causing me to get spankings for having melt downs. Siblings can be jerks sometimes.

I would recommend knocking your brother upside the head next time he does it to you, but violence isn't the best way to solve things.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2015, 10:15 pm

I don't think I totally understand this concept, but when I tried to look it up I found a video of a woman talking softly like many therapists do... when people talk all softly like that all I hear is the lip smacking and saliva being pushed around in their mouth as they talk. Ew. Needless to say, listening to people talking softly actually makes me MORE tense, not relaxed like most people seem to respond...

I did look at the wikipedia entry for ASMR, though, and I think what causes that actual response, which is supposed to be pleasurable, for me is hearing a train from far away while lying in bed at night. Also, this song. And this one. Although, that second one may be partly because of the association made by the song title.

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2015, 10:24 pm

I really like the first one a lot.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm

Does everyone experience this? I've read about what it is and what it feels like, and I can't say I remember ever feeling like this.

- Sherlock Holmes

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

I don't think it's very common actually.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2015, 11:54 pm

Not a fan of the ASMR videos, they do little for me. Other random things do it though.

I HATE feeling like my central nervous system is taking high voltage jolts just because of minor sensory input.

By minor I mean, I have "green" hard drives that park the read/write head and stop the spindle when idle. When I need a file on one of those drives I have to wait a few seconds for it to wake up.

It makes this sound...... cannot describe it. But I prepare myself for it everytime I use those drives.

Lots of small things like that, totally random stuff. Makes me look like a weirdo trying to fight a yawn Or like I have a case of the Pee shivers, which is kind of the same sensation....

THIS kind of thing, the cheapass HPS lighting at NoFrills and the Bleep Bleep of the registers... ASMR trigger.

Not a fan. Not a fan at all. Its the sensations I hate. The sounds are annoying, the sensations are unacceptable.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 12:20 am

Like Krafty- I had never even heard of ASMR until I read this thread. Just now read about it on Wiki.

None of the ASMR videos on U-Tube seemed to load on my computer. Half of U-Tube videos work for me, and about half just do that circling dot thing and never finish loading. And the ASMR videos are all in the later category.

I do get what might be called a "negative" ASMR effect from hearing styrofoam chests rubbing against each other, or from chalk on a chalkboard.