Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm

Sometimes I talk to myself, but I'm not actually talking directly to myself. What I mean is, I'm often quoting something I like (usually a video, movie or show), especially something I've seen recently. This is actually what I do more often than I just talk to myself, though I do both.

For example, last night I watched a couple clips from a South Park episode, and for some reason the dads were wearing Bane masks, and they beat up a UPS guy because apparently he was getting with their wives while they were gone. One of the lines that made me laugh was (in a Bane voice), "A man's wife is his life, Mr UPS Man." Today while at work I've been repeating that line to myself, I've said it too many times to count (It's especially funny because I'm actually wearing a mask :lol: )

I'm pretty sure NTs would find this weird though, so I was wondering if anyone here does this.

- Sherlock Holmes

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

I've met a lot of NTs who like to repeat funny lines from movies or even everyday life over and over again... but not to themselves, so I think that's what's different here.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 3:23 pm

mrspotatohead wrote:
I've met a lot of NTs who like to repeat funny lines from movies or even everyday life over and over again... but not to themselves, so I think that's what's different here.

Yes, plus sometimes I quote the whole thing in its entirety (not for movies though, that would be a lot). And people usually get annoyed at me or are just uninterested if I am actually doing this to them.

- Sherlock Holmes

asherx
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jan 2015, 3:52 pm

I quote movies and TV to myself all the time. I also sing to myself as well as hum and vocalize music too.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2015, 4:08 pm

I think that's echolalia.

I sometimes do that when I'm in the bathroom or getting ready for bed. If I hear something on a video that sounds good spoken (regardless of what is actually said) I will get that clip repeating in my mind, and when I'm by myself I express what I heard. Yet, I can control this when I'm at school or in public places. It's just when I'm alone I like to do it. I don't know why.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

I think this is pretty common with autism. I often notice a friend of mine (who has autism) saying lines and sound effects from a movie under his breath.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 5:55 pm

54together wrote:
If I hear something on a video that sounds good spoken (regardless of what is actually said) I will get that clip repeating in my mind, and when I'm by myself I express what I heard. Yet, I can control this when I'm at school or in public places. It's just when I'm alone I like to do it. I don't know why.

Been there done that, except it frequently repeats in public and I end up laughing or smiling or making some sort of funny noise trying to stifle smiling or laughing. And for me it's often something my husband said or something the kids said. Sometimes it's not words, but sounds that repeat in my head. I will continue to repeat it in my head too on purpose.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jan 2015, 8:12 pm

I used to do that a lot but I focused on quitting it so I don't talk to myself around others.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

Yes. I have this. I call it internal Echochalia, but basically it's a constant river flow of images memories things people have said things I've seen, I don't really have an Internal dialogue that involves myself as a person, I don't have a sense of self which is why I forget to shower or brush my teeth but I'm constantly thinking about other people, things ive seen, images, memories, movies, TV shows, clips. It's like a computer - when I think verbally, it's either me describing the image in words OR lyrics and dialogue of characters talking in my head as I eavsedrop. People say I have a brilliant and creative mind when I feel like a stupid idiot

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 8:29 pm

I do stuff like this, but mostly in my head not out loud. I will think of things over and over that I find funny and will wear a silly grin on my face. Then I get asked all the time, "What is that funny smile for?" and I just don't feel like answering.

I also like to talk about something over and over again, like my mind just hasn't finished "chewing it" yet. That annoys people.

Farnam
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2015, 8:43 pm

This happens me sometimes with signs I read, I will be walking down the street and see a Starbucks, next to a Boots, next to a mothercare, next to a sainburrys, and something about the way the letters all use the same fonts or colour schemes or something will catch my eye, and I will feel compelled to read them out loud. Except I don't allow myself too, as it is generally accepted as weird to walk down the street chanting 'Starbucks, boots, mothercare, sainburrys' over and over. In the end, I make myself so frustrated at this chant stuck in my head I have often been known to never vocalise the chant, but shout 'shut up [real name]' very loudly after a prolonged period of silence. Looks a bit weird if you are standing in line in the supermarket to suddenly yell at yourself to shut up, so I try not to. Or if I write down a shopping list I never need to actually bring the paper to the shop because the list gets stuck in my head as a chant I can't turn off. It's always a list I visually see. Doesn't happen otherwise.

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2015, 8:58 pm

I will say words I like in my head to cheer myself up, or I'll say them out loud if I'm alone. It really picks me up when I'm having a bad day. For some reason I really like to say the word ball *blushes*. It feels good dang it *baaaaaaaaaalllllll*. I like to walk around my nouse going, "Ballyballyballyballyballyball." I cannot believe I just told you guys that.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 4:04 am

L_Holmes wrote:
Sometimes I talk to myself, but I'm not actually talking directly to myself. What I mean is, I'm often quoting something I like (usually a video, movie or show), especially something I've seen recently. This is actually what I do more often than I just talk to myself, though I do both.

For example, last night I watched a couple clips from a South Park episode, and for some reason the dads were wearing Bane masks, and they beat up a UPS guy because apparently he was getting with their wives while they were gone. One of the lines that made me laugh was (in a Bane voice), "A man's wife is his life, Mr UPS Man." Today while at work I've been repeating that line to myself, I've said it too many times to count (It's especially funny because I'm actually wearing a mask :lol: )

I'm pretty sure NTs would find this weird though, so I was wondering if anyone here does this.

I do this sort of thing all the time. I might be doing some chore--washing dishes, for example--and I'll be quoting lines or reciting entire sketches from videos or TV, often in character. Sometimes, someone else will walk into the room when do that and comment on it. :oops:

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 10:28 am

I often do that with quotes I like, find funny or just have in my head from TV shows and movies, but I usually do it just in my head and don´t speak out loud. But like nerdygirl mentioned it can happen that I have a silly grin on my face while I do that and then people ask what was so funny.
It also happens with words sometimes, I just repeat a word I recently heard again and again in my head.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

I talk to myself sometimes, usually when I'm nervous or giddy or in a stressful situation. Occasionally when I'm reading, I will read a line or part of a sentence out loud.