Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ElephantMan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2015, 4:59 pm

It has been noted that persons with Asperger's can have low muscle tone, but I haven't seen much expert opinion on the issue of Asperger's and chronic muscle tension outside of comments in blogs/forums (although it is noted as a symptom of Anxiety disorders which persons with AS are prone to). I've asked I couple of persons with Asperger's I know through Facebook if they had this issue and both acknowledged they have a problem with it.

In my late teens I developed bad muscle tension in my neck, shoulders and mid-lower back. Since then I frequently do neck rolls and stretch my neck from side to side, and also hunch my shoulders up & down and back & forth. I also try and crack my back on my own or with assistance. When I go to bed, I sometimes spend 10 minutes contorting my neck, shoulders and back to release tension in an effort to get comfortable to sleep.

Anyone have issues with chronic muscle tension?

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2015, 6:07 pm

Hmm, kind of, I think? I have a knot at the back of my neck. For the longest time we thought it was an enlarged lymph node, but an endocrinologist said it's a tense muscle. I don't think it's related to autism though. It came up around the time I got mono (which is why we thought it was a lymph node). I've been going to a chiropractor all my life, so it's more likely some people are just prone to muscle tension. Arthritis runs in my family and it's assumed I'm in the early stages of it, so maybe it has something to with that for me.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

I tend to have muscle tension. Sometimes, it is due to stress and is relieved when the stressor goes away.

I am also prone to muscle cramps and seizing. I'm pretty sure this is due to low magnesium. (I have not been diagnosed with that yet). I do take a magnesium supplement from time to time, which helps.

Regular exercise also helps because it keeps the muscles moving.

Be careful with the magnesium supplement. I hear that it is not always good to take, depending on one's particular makeup and if one has any other medical conditions.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 12:13 am

ElephantMan wrote:
It has been noted that persons with Asperger's can have low muscle tone, but I haven't seen much expert opinion on the issue of Asperger's and chronic muscle tension outside of comments in blogs/forums (although it is noted as a symptom of Anxiety disorders which persons with AS are prone to). I've asked I couple of persons with Asperger's I know through Facebook if they had this issue and both acknowledged they have a problem with it.

In my late teens I developed bad muscle tension in my neck, shoulders and mid-lower back. Since then I frequently do neck rolls and stretch my neck from side to side, and also hunch my shoulders up & down and back & forth. I also try and crack my back on my own or with assistance. When I go to bed, I sometimes spend 10 minutes contorting my neck, shoulders and back to release tension in an effort to get comfortable to sleep.

Anyone have issues with chronic muscle tension?

Yes, just like that.
I also catch myself clenching and grinding my teeth sometimes.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 1:12 am

Yep in my neck and shoulders all the time. My dad can usually tell when I'm tensed up like that and massages it out for me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 2:57 am

Soak in a hot bath of epsom salts - it helps.

I don't tend to get just random muscle tension. I do get tense, though, but only because of doing pushups (I do about 2500/month) or from other exercise or doing physical work at work.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
I am also prone to muscle cramps and seizing. I'm pretty sure this is due to low magnesium. (I have not been diagnosed with that yet). I do take a magnesium supplement from time to time, which helps.

It could also be caused by too little / too much potassium. If you never eat bananas, eat one-a-day, for about 3 days, and see if that helps; conversely, if you eat a banana everyday, everyday, everyday, QUIT eating them, for about a week, and see if that helps. I've had it happen to me, BOTH ways.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

It could also be caused by too little / too much potassium. If you never eat bananas, eat one-a-day, for about 3 days, and see if that helps; conversely, if you eat a banana everyday, everyday, everyday, QUIT eating them, for about a week, and see if that helps. I've had it happen to me, BOTH ways.

Yes, I eat bananas too, but couldn't remember if potassium helps with the muscle spasms. I eat the bananas to help with heart palpitations. But, really, that could be another form of muscle spasm, right?

I do not like bananas very much and would not *choose* them if I didn't have to. BUT, I have forced myself to eat them and now they are not so bad. I am still extremely picky about how many brown spots I can tolerate (zero), so I end up making a lot of banana bread.

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

I tend to tense up (my entire body,) over the space of about a minute, realise I'm doing it and try to relax. Rinse and repeat. My shoulders are always really tight, though I've never gone and got a massage or anything.

I did acupuncture for a while and described that progressive muscle tension to the therapist and he said he'd never heard of anything like it :\

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 9:55 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
I am still extremely picky about how many brown spots I can tolerate (zero), so I end up making a lot of banana bread.

Oooo, me, TOO----and, in THAT case, the more spots, the better. I make a mean Chocolate Chip / Banana Bread (Quick Bread)----if that sounds appealing, I can give you the recipe, if you'd like.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
I am still extremely picky about how many brown spots I can tolerate (zero), so I end up making a lot of banana bread.

Oooo, me, TOO----and, in THAT case, the more spots, the better. I make a mean Chocolate Chip / Banana Bread (Quick Bread)----if that sounds appealing, I can give you the recipe, if you'd like.

Sure.

I just took 2 loaves of sourdough banana bread out of the oven. :D

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2015, 12:10 am

nerdygirl wrote:
Yes, I eat bananas too, but couldn't remember if potassium helps with the muscle spasms. I eat the bananas to help with heart palpitations. But, really, that could be another form of muscle spasm, right?

I do not like bananas very much and would not *choose* them if I didn't have to. BUT, I have forced myself to eat them and now they are not so bad. I am still extremely picky about how many brown spots I can tolerate (zero), so I end up making a lot of banana bread.

I'm the same way.

Have you tried any types of creams or gels for it? My chiropractor used to give my mother biofreeze; it works pretty well for muscle tension. It's pretty cheap too - you should be able to get it for about $8 or less. Another I would suggest is Voltaren Gel. It's mainly used for arthritis so it's prescription only. It works wonders though!

I recently looked into magnesium because it seems to have a connection to vitamin D (which I was severely deficit in), and some said to try a bath with epson salt if you're low on magnesium. Apparently, epson salt is supposed to help with pain and muscle spams too so that's another option I suppose?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:16 am

I have more muscle knots/spasms when in the hot summer months when I sweat a lot during the day. I try to eat a banana a day plus I have no troubles getting enough salt in my diet :oops:

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2015, 3:01 am

I have had muscle tension for many years in my life. It used to be mainly from heavy stress of life difficulties. Now I also have added muscle tension caused by a big injury that affects my nervous system.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:10 am

I just bought a memory foam pillow. It's helping a bit, though I hope it gets somewhat squishier with time.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:09 am

cberg wrote:
I just bought a memory foam pillow. It's helping a bit, though I hope it gets somewhat squishier with time.

Memory foam is a lot softer if the room is warm. I have a memory foam mattress and pillow. When the room is cold (ie. in winter), they are hard as rock (until body heat warms it up.) But when the room is reasonably warm, they are much more comfortable. Even when cold, they do get more comfortable as the bed warms up and that doesn't take too long.