Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 4:22 pm

Wouldn't one agree that it's only ideal kind of place for aspies? I just can't believe it just seems like there's none that is effectively for a single person. Somehow, in the UK at least, if it's detached it must be a mansion for a whole organization to live in. Why can't lowly huts exist?! I'm alone but I don't want random strangers to blight my life! I seriously need to solve this, or someone will end up dead...

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm

One bedroom bungalows. They exist.

aradesh
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2015, 4:35 pm

I wish I lived in a detached house. I currently live in a terrace. One chap is generally very quiet, however the other side is a little annoying. It also makes me feel self-conscious about making noises myself, as I am thinking that maybe I'll be heard by my neighbours. The walls however are very thick, they are houses built around 1900 for the coal miners.

A hut you say... that does sound nice. I have a fantasy about living in the woods as a woodsman, being self-sufficient. Could build my own hut out of logs and stuff.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 12:23 am

It is not all cracked up like you think.

Unless you leave on a good chunk land (acre), you deal with idiot neighbors. My parents have a detached home, and in the summer the neighbors would do all sorts of loud things. Stereo blaring with all the windoor open. Car repairs. Landscaping. Forget about complaining, no one gives a s**t.

People actual do try to keep the noise down in aparents or other joined buildings. A meat head apartment dweller is hell. A meat head home owner is a few levels down in the inferno.

I've lived in apartment ts the last 20 years. I've have more parents actually try to keep their kids from screaming bloody murder here, than by my parents. My parents have a family whose kids will standing in the back yard and full bore scream, for hours. WTF? The children don't have special needs, they just like scream. The family owns the house, so it's a big f**k you to all the neighbors with shattered nerves.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 12:48 am

Wow, I would like to walk up to their house at 3am with an Air Horn.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 7:32 am

Our neighbors all have dogs. They bark (the dogs, not the neighbors), and usually only because they hear another dog barking.

Yes, the air-horn idea is effective.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 10:00 am

A few years ago I went from my parents suburban home to a 200 unit apartment building near downtown in a rougher part of town. Guess which one was quieter by a long shot? My parents next door neighbor used to mow his lawn every Saturday morning during the summer....at 6:45am and also put in wind chimes just to annoy them to boot.

Granted it's not all sunshine at my soon to be former apartment. The jerks next door recently started parking a giant 18 wheeler cab right outside my bedroom window and start the damn things up at 3-6am for 20 minutes. The walls vibrate when they do that. At least it's winter and the windows are shut (and I am moving): I can't tell you how irritating that is as an Aspie!

smudge wrote:

Not where I live (Canada). The houses are obscenely big... and even more obscenely expensive! The only ones that come close to that size are in trailer parks.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 12:43 pm

I do dream of living in one bedroom bungalows. I plan to get one someday. It's a very common thing here from where I live. Ranging from made out of expensive materials to made out straws and coconut leaves. Poor families here, no matter how big, cram themselves in such spaces...

I would like a more isolated location for it.

Right now, I'm living in an apartment for over 11 years now with my mom and sister. :( Even the neighbors here aren't bad, but the renting costs wants to drive my mom out...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 1:58 pm

God in his wisdom, decreed in the Mosaic Law that all houses had to be build detached, to have no adjoining walls.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:53 am

It is pretty nice, I must admit.

I've never lived in attached housing, but I think I could manage it just fine - especially with earplugs in at night to sleep. I have slept overnight in others' apartments here and there when I was too tired or drunk to drive and didn't have any issues with it. Still, if I lived in attached housing I'd appreciate very quiet neighbours.. it would suck if they were partiers, or had screaming kids or barking dogs.

I had my parents house to myself for the month of October while they were away. It was pretty nice & peaceful.

I'm currently house sitting someone else' house for a month-ish while they're away. Again, it's nice and peaceful - and in a much quieter lower traffic area than my parents, so even better. 8)

I had planned on doing a fair bit of reading, but so far it's been more like internet and tv lol. I still have time to get some reading done, though.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 4:30 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
smudge wrote:

Not where I live (Canada). The houses are obscenely big... and even more obscenely expensive! The only ones that come close to that size are in trailer parks.

That's not entirely true… especially not for all of Canada.

Small towns still have plenty of small homes.

Also, here in the Vancouver area there are quite a few Coach Houses and Laneway Homes that are typically one bedroom apartments above a detached car garage & small houses built in backyards, respectively. Then there's the "small home" movement that's gaining a following all over the place - although still very rare here, people are designing and building tiny homes that they can afford.. sometimes built out of shipping containers, other times just micro versions of detached homes w/ incredibly well engineered space utilization.

Still very few compared to other types of housing, but there are small homes here. Really old ones, trailer parks, coach houses, laneway homes, small/tiny homes.. etc. They exist, there just aren't that many yet.

It's mostly condos being built in the city & townhouses in the suburbs now, though.. densification is a big deal because property values are astronomically high here. A basic old house in the city is over a million dollars.. a nice one costs plenty more. So more and more people are cramming into small condos since they can't afford a detached house w/o a really really long commute.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2015, 12:06 am

goldfish21 wrote:
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
smudge wrote:

That's not entirely true… especially not for all of Canada.

Small towns still have plenty of small homes.

Also, here in the Vancouver area there are quite a few Coach Houses and Laneway Homes that are typically one bedroom apartments above a detached car garage & small houses built in backyards, respectively. Then there's the "small home" movement that's gaining a following all over the place - although still very rare here, people are designing and building tiny homes that they can afford.. sometimes built out of shipping containers, other times just micro versions of detached homes w/ incredibly well engineered space utilization.

Still very few compared to other types of housing, but there are small homes here. Really old ones, trailer parks, coach houses, laneway homes, small/tiny homes.. etc. They exist, there just aren't that many yet.

The issue tiny house people are running into is finding a place to park their tiny house on wheels. In most places they are illegal to live in because they are too small, insurance is an issue.

Some towns are being progressive about it and working with the people, mostly in BC of course. The NIMBYism is a huge problem.

I am a fan of the tiny house movement, in whatever form it takes. So many awesome ideas, such efficient use of space. I see myself living in one eventually, just need a place to park it.....

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 10:53 am

Mootoo wrote:
Somehow, in the UK at least, if it's detached it must be a mansion for a whole organization to live in. Why can't lowly huts exist?!

Building land is very expensive in the UK, so no developer is going to build one small house on an acre if he can squash a couple of hundred tenants onto the same site by building a tower block. Even the nice Victorian family houses are being divided up into tiny flats. Too many people, not enough land.

The difference in rural parts of the USA is very striking. There are loads of detached homes, often much cheaper than ours, They seem made mostly of wood and plastic, but it works.

I completely agree that detached is the way to go, and it's a great shame that such homes are only for the elite in the UK.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 12:25 pm

Barking dogs, neighbors mowing three times a week, a hobby I suppose, and when one's done the other will start.
And a neighbor, who's out of work, has most days something loud to do in front of my house while swearing loudly! Like a slapstick, coming with his tractor, getting off of it, looking at his electric fence, 'oh putain de merde', it's closed, returning to his house to stop the electricity while leaving the tractor turning on my entrence, getting back opening the fence, going in, putting three pieces of something on his tractor and then the same way out, and that every morning. Just starting his day.
The son of the other neighbors has returned, he does rallying.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Feb 2015, 3:51 am

I wish I lived in a detached house instead of a townhouse apartment. The neighbors on one side yell a lot, move heavy things around & i hear knocking on their door alot. & the neighbors on the other side have little kids that cry loudly, run around alot, have the TV on loudly, & I hear banging.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition