Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Feb 2015, 5:45 am

So many thanks for your thoughtful replies. I stopped getting notifications for the thread so just came back and saw all the replies. I want to take time and go through them carefully but, I just want to say a big thank you for this input. It is already helping me on the path to being the best mom I can be. :heart:

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 6:52 am

I wish they didn't always side with my brothers against me.

I wish they didn't always call me stupid and make fun of me.

I wish they had paid attention to my personal hygiene and grooming and dressed me appropriately when I was too young to know better for myself.

I wish they would have been emotionally supportive of me when I was abused at school or play.

I wish they would have taken my fears and terrors seriously instead of something just to smirk about

When one of my loving pet would die - I wish they didn't blame it on me for no reason and tell everybody that I had killed another one of my animals.

I wished they could have grasped that parents have some serious responsibilities to even their most troubled child.

I wish they had made a lot more money and were just like the parents of Oskar, In the Movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - played by Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock

- Albert Einstein

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 12:46 pm

I wasn't diagnosed until I was 29, so no one knew I was autistic when I was a kid. A few of my elementary school teachers knew there was something "different" about me. One of them suggested to my mom that I may have ADD (this was in the early '90s), but my mom didn't believe her. She just brushed it off as "He just learns differently. His teachers don't understand him." What's really frustrating is that even though I had a lot of trouble in school, no one tried to figure out a solution.

I was in a special class in third grade, but when I recently asked my mom why I was in that class, she said she didn't remember.

Looking back on it, I'm kind of pissed that my mom (and teachers) could see that I was struggling in school, but didn't really do anything to help. As a result, I feel like a lot of the potential I had was not recognized, and my school years were wasted. I'm not trying to say I'm blameless when I got into middle and highschool, but I feel that if I had been diagnosed as a kid, I would have had the support that I obviously needed to help me succeed academically and socially.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 2:16 pm

I wish my parents wouldnt have pretended I'm like everyone else. I flapped my fingers and paced and didnt make friends, and a whole lot of other things, and yet still they pretended I'm like everyone else.

I wish they wouldnt get angry at me for not being able to make friends. I wish they wouldnt have ordered me to 'to visit a friend - now!' while opening the door. I wish my mother wouldnt have screamed at me when I was seven or eight, "Run after your friends," when she saw two other little girls I barely knew walking ahead of me, deep in conversation and obviously not wanting to be disturbed.

I wish they wouldnt have criticised me when as a small child, I listen to a children song about a little girl who cried because her friend wouldnt show up, and I asked my parents why she was upset, and they said because she isnt like you, having no friends and not caring about anything.

I wish my mother wouldnt be so against me wanting to learn self defense. it was ok for my brother, but not for a girl.

I wish they'd have gotten me a pet. (Beware of cats brought in stores. they have genetic diseases often and die young, and aspies cant stand losing a pet. get a feral, not from a shelter because they might have feline aids or leukimia, contagious among felines. discuss those concern with a vet you trust).

I wish they'd have respected my reluctance to be touched sometimes.

All said, my parents were good parents, and so are you. just the fact that you posted this shows that you care. we all make mistakes. shouldnt be too hard on yourself.

please do show admiration for all your little aspie's special abilities. tell him about albert einstien and bill gates and temple grandin to build his self esteem. encourage his special interest and get him things that have to do with it, whatever it is. show interest in it.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

I don't remember being close to my parents as a child but I remember I was so close to sibilings, cousins, my special intrests and school life so I never thought about my parents very much

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:03 pm

I understand regret about the past, though I no longer wish things had been different. They were what they were, nothing can change it, finally I accepted that - and there's freedom in that. It did take a long time. Decades. Though now I am a much happier person - it is what it was, I survived, I am grateful for those who helped me survive terrible things. It made me stronger, not weaker. I look back at the horrors and sometimes think, there must have been an angel sitting on my shoulder, or I wouldn't be here now. And that's not hyperbole..

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 12:24 am

ellemenope wrote:
What do you wish your parents had done differently when parenting you as a young child? Is there something you think would have made a world of difference in your relationship with your parents?

I wish my mother had tried to boost my self-esteem instead of constantly undermining it with vitreolic criticism, melodrama, and guilt-tripping. Dad could have laid off the guilt-tripping too. I might have grown up without all this guilt and poor confidence that still pervades my life.
Quote:
What is something specific you wished they had understood better?

That I was doing my best to win their approval, and that I had autism. They didn't know.

Quote:
What made you the most happy in your childhood?

Dad's affection and approval, I think.
Quote:
What is something that made you feel and know your parents loved and valued you as a person?

Dad was so obviously glad to see me, he spoke kindly to me and smiled at me, and if I wanted something, he'd try to get it for me if he thought it was reasonable.

Quote:
What do you think is the most helpful way for a parent to deal with their AS child's "challenging" behaviour that they don't understand?

Tolerance, honesty, positive reinforcement, reassurance, gentle but firm pressure to improve where it seems necessary, advocating for them, allowing them reasonable freedom, supporting them in their social endeavours, teaching them independence, showing respect.

These are tough questions for me, very searching ones. Nobody asked me them before, and being undiagnosed at the time, it's hard to piece together whether I was showing much challenging autistic behaviour or not. Autism wasn't the only problem. Mum's personality was very unusual, to say the least, so my answers might be of limited relevence to your situation.

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Feb 2015, 12:51 am

corroonb wrote:
I think it's important to encourage special interests. They can be a huge source of pleasure and self-esteem. They can also lead to a satisfying job later in life.

I also think that comparing a child with ASD to other children can be enormously destructive to self-esteem.

Accepting them for who they are rather than trying to make them normal through training them like a dog. I've encountered Aspies like this and it really doesn't work. NTs will always think there's something different about us and acting "normal" can be more off-putting than being yourself.

Thank you for your reply.
I definitely don't speak of comparisons between my son and other kids TO my son, but I think all parents do compare their kids to others, it just comes with the territory of being a parent. And with a kid that's so different it's impossible not to think about it. One difference I always notice is that other kids seem so easy for their parents and the kids themselves seem to have such an easier time in general and seeing that stings, when things can be so difficult for us (but what seems to be true isn't always). But to me a lot of the time, the comparisons are favourable. My son is incredibly smart and so gentle and interesting compared to other kids.
I try to remind myself to be accepting of my son the way he is, that his quirks I find really irritating sometimes come part and parcel with the unique ways that he is so wonderful. I think maybe that some parents of Aspies try hard to make their kid act normal because they think that will make it easier for the kid. As I think about it now, I can see how awful that would be for a kid- first to be told they are not ok the way they are and second to perhaps fail at acting another way and be miserable while trying.

Thank you.
(I'm still going through posts and thinking deeply, also taking notes to keep in my journal.)

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 2:04 am

They should have never allowed me to use a public school bus, or go to a public school.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 2:33 am

One thing I remember was a lot of arguing, especially loud arguing. It's painful to deal with as a child.

I think arguing loudly and forcefully in front of children, whether they have AS or not, is damaging. This doesn't mean you can just shut the door and argue. The child will pick up on problems in the marriage, they have great intuition.

If the marriage is solid, I don't think you have much to fear. All you have to do is be loving.

Another thing was that one of my parents would try to fix some of my behaviors. This was a misguided attempt to get me to blend in better but the way it was done was damaging to my self-esteem more than anything else, because they were behaviors I had no control over (like tics, twitches, the way I walked). My parents were ignorant of asperger's so they aren't to blame. It's damaging nonetheless. Behavior modification therapy is bordering on abusive in my opinion even if the intent is benevolent.

Failure to understand just how incredibly hard fitting in at school was. Assuming that I would always admit to any problems that I was having when in fact I was too proud to do so.

These are just a few. Honestly, you are just one influence on them. It is good if you can get them involved I think with a wide diverse range of people. It's always good to get a wide diverse set of perspectives for a child. If the child becomes too isolated they have no way of reality-testing their own thoughts. This was another big problem for as I couldn't make friends (hardly at all) Major problem. You can't actually force them to have friends but you can encourage it.

Edit: The other most tremendously huge one:e not taking my depression seriously. I told them I was depressed and one of my parents just shrugged it off because they simply could not get it in their brain that it was possible for another person to be depressed. In return I minimized my own pain and suffered more. This parent most likely has aspergers themselves. So it's important to look at yourself as well as the child. No one's really to blame, it's just it's important to be educated and do research and evaluate yourself. Actually, this is probably a lot to ask. All I'm saying is it might have helped me if my parents were a little more in tune with things.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:59 am

ellemenope wrote:
What do you wish your parents had done differently when parenting you as a young child? Is there something you think would have made a world of difference in your relationship with your parents? What is something specific you wished they had understood better? What made you the most happy in your childhood? What is something that made you feel and know your parents loved and valued you as a person? What do you think is the most helpful way for a parent to deal with their AS child's "challenging" behaviour that they don't understand?

I want so very much to be a good mother to my son with AS. I want him to feel safe and happy and loved. I want us and our home to be the safe harbour because I know the world will be hard for him. But sometimes I feel like I'm failing at this in many respects. I know some of this is normal parenting guilt but it seems like my failures with my son affect him more deeply than they would an NT child. Like when I lose my temper (happens too often) or when I don't deal well with his behaviour that I know is because of AS. He has a memory like a steel trap and his scars run deep.

It's helpful to read the experiences of adults who grew up with AS but I find there is so much pain caused by parents who didn't understand. (I was just reading the thread about emotional abuse :cry: ) I hope if some of you can think about and answer the above questions, it will really help me in going in the right direction. I know I understand my son better than if I didn't know he has AS (and I have a lot in common with him), but I'm far from perfect when it comes to dealing with the challenges. It's almost every day that I regret something that happened with my boy and feel so terrible for him to have to deal with ME.

[I was going to post this in the parenting forum, but I thought it would make more sense to post here because I don't want to hear from parents of AS kids, I want to hear from adults with AS who can recount their childhood experiences]

Thanks.

Disciplined me more, that's not to say that I was a troublemaker but giving me more responsibilities, not spoil me as much

lyzpg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2015, 9:42 am

Hello there. Please bear in mind that not every aspie responds to the same things, so keep a clear idea of who your boy is when you're reading all these comments.

What do you wish your parents had done differently when parenting you as a young child?
I wish they wouldn't have resorted to physical punishments instead of reason. I was terrified of my mother and now I realize she perceived my need for logic as acting up.

Is there something you think would have made a world of difference in your relationship with your parents?
The intervention of a behavioral professional that could mediate between us.

What is something specific you wished they had understood better?
I was not like other kids, but that didn't mean I should be isolated from them.

What made you the most happy in your childhood?
Playing board games with my father or grandmother.

What is something that made you feel and know your parents loved and valued you as a person?
My dad smiled a lot at me, and I could tell he loved having me around. I never felt loved by my mother.

What do you think is the most helpful way for a parent to deal with their AS child's "challenging" behaviour that they don't understand?
I have a couple of things here for you:
-Overall, remember you are dealing with a child... a very intelligent child, but a child nonetheless. His reasoning skills are very high, and if you communicate what you want he might be more implied to comply. You don't need to shout.
-Don't try to engage in a complex conversation (feelings, motivations, wants, proper way to comunicate) while your son is in an overstimulated/meltdown state. That's like trying to recap a can of soda that has been shaken too much, you're going to get wet.
-Keep a cool head. Don't take things personally. Try not to let emotions overrule you, and remember to have some "you time" to wind down every now and then. I understand we can be frustrating (and sometimes, we even get frustrated with ourselves), but you're already doing great parenting by asking for help :) . You can do this.

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2015, 11:24 am

From my personal experience, life would have been a lot easier if they had diagnosed me when I was a kid. I am also blind and went to a school for the blind, where the philosophy was that blind people need to be ultra-normal and do things better than sighted people. A lot of things I did because of autism were also seen as bad stereotypes for blind people, such as what I have found out since being here is called stimming, and also getting stuck on a special interest. They, especially my mom, would yell at me and tell me to stop, and when I didn't they just thought I was just being a brat. Also, the houseparents at school would criticize me because I can figure out things that would be hard for most people, like playing the piano by ear, but I have a hard time figuring out how to do really basic things like social stuff or doing laundry, etc. I still battle with that because it made me feel stupid. It's not like I want to struggle with things that are basic to most people.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 11:27 am

ya, i often wonder, if the way parents raise their kids, bring them up in their childhood, has a huge impact on whether or not their child will have ambition in life in their post-puberty years, as in ambition to develop a career plan, career path, do well in school, education, be more responsible, etc.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

B19 wrote:
I understand regret about the past, though I no longer wish things had been different. They were what they were, nothing can change it, finally I accepted that - and there's freedom in that. It did take a long time. Decades. Though now I am a much happier person - it is what it was, I survived, I am grateful for those who helped me survive terrible things. It made me stronger, not weaker. I look back at the horrors and sometimes think, there must have been an angel sitting on my shoulder, or I wouldn't be here now. And that's not hyperbole..

When I was in ~ 17, I began to resent my parents for the way they raised me (as I had what I consider to be a very unhappy childhood). I attributed my issues to the way I was raised. Which really made no sense at all (as I had an older brother and younger sister who seemed much less impacted by my parent’s upbringing). In any event, it wasn’t until I was going through the diagnosis process that I realized that they were trying to "make do" as best they could with a "broken" child (i.e. me). And, my issues I had as a child (and later as an adult) were not caused by "bad parenting".

PrincessSerena
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2015, 4:24 pm

Well, right now I am considered an adult but there are still many hurtful things that do happen to me. I have been called "worthless"and a few other things by my mother and she has implied that she is also ashamed of me. It would be great to not focus on their faults so much that you cannot see how great they are. Please remind them.