Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would you ever try being a monk/monastic for a time ?
I would try if I could . 27%  27%  [ 17 ]
I don't know , it might be interesting... 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
I very much want to ! !! !! 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Not likely . 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
No , never . 19%  19%  [ 12 ]
I am interested , but I don't think I could live up to the concept... 26%  26%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 62

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:11 pm

I have always been intrested by monts/religious brothers , fantasized about being one , at least briefly , though that , really , especially I suppose now , isn't going to happen .
I imagine I'm not alone here , there werte other old lines about monk/monasticism that you can't retreive anymore ~ So , there can just be a new one now :lol: .
(When I say " monks/monastary " I do mean female monasticism ~ " nunneries " ~ too , which is the proper/dictionary definition , I believe .
Thinking of the Christian version of monasticism especially here myself here though of course there's others .)
Actually , I'm thinking now of the robes/habits of monks ~ Not the Halloween-costume ones that you tend to find on the Web ,, but the ones that actual modern-day monks would wear when wearing one , which would likely be of a more " modern " cut - and thicker - than costume ones , since they wear them for real .
TWhen I am swinging in a religious direction , the idea of praying a great deal of the time appeals to me ~ Of course , it's following specific rules/outlined prayer rituals (generally , anyway) , I know .
The idea of being one/doing it :? ..What that life would be like....

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:22 pm

I couldn't cope with the rules, and the getting up in the morning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:30 pm

I've thought about this from time to time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:51 pm

That reminds me, I think I have a copy of "The monk who sold his Ferrari" that I really should read sometime.

Prayer & meditation are wonderful mindfulness techniques. Even if you never select a particular religion or faith & follow through with monk plans in a formal way, you can still do your own thing.. pray, meditate, breathe, appreciate, express gratitude, refine & focus your intentions, be one with nature.

I don't do these sorts of things nearly as often as I ought to, but when the moment strikes while out on a run or a hike I do step and just.. Be. I highly recommend it. It's very calming & rejuvenating. And yes, I've even hugged trees like a proper new ager with a little bit of hippie in me. :D

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

I don't think so. The idea of living a quiet, simple life appeals to me. But I think I'd get crazy bored with having to pray all the time and discipline my thoughts, as well as the lack of computers and books.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 4:02 pm

I don't think it would help my relationship with my partner.

I used to consider the idea of joining a monastery though. As long as it was a Zen monastery, I might stand a chance of doing well there. It would be hypocritical of me to join a religious monastery, I'd feel like I was in the wrong element, they'd find out my beliefs, we'd probably end up hating each other. But Zen might suit, because they don't do spiritual authority, if I read them right, there's no top-down doctrine.

Best of all for me would have been a well-run anarcho-syndicalist commune. I got pretty close to that once, though it was a neighbourhood rather than an actual commune. For a year or two, I had lots of company yet I nearly always felt relaxed with it. They were so into this "don't knock a person just because they're a bit strange" thing, and I'd never had that before.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm

Very interesting topic. I lived in a Greek Orthodox monastery for over 3 months (I'm Orthodox), and it was one of the most interesting and valuable experiences I've ever had. The Orthodox Church is based on monasticism (although priests are allowed to marry, in order to be a bishop or higher you have to be a monk), so unlike Roman Catholicism, monks and nuns aren't regarded as separate from other clergy, and are not divided into different orders such as Benedictines, Dominicans etc. Although monasteries are usually in a secluded location, they often serve a community of lay people as well, some of whom help with services.
But those who think that the monastic life is one of quiet contemplation and prayer would be disappointed. The usual day consisted of getting up at 04.30 for Matins and the Liturgy, followed by breakfast of black coffee and dry bread, after which you worked in the gardens/kitchen/workshop until Vespers at 18.00, which was followed by a decent supper with wine, then another short service and then bed. There was no time for personal prayer, reading or thinking beautiful thoughts, - a feature of monastic life is that 'the Devil' concentrates his efforts on religious communities and constantly tempts you with sinful thoughts - you just learn to pray within yourself while you're working ... when you're not thinking about food or sex or some other such thing!
I did think of becoming a monk, - the idea of wearing a long beard and pony tail is quite appealing - but realised that I didn't have the vocation. Monasticism has a certain Romantic attraction, but the reality is very different. However, it's possible to stay in monasteries for short periods (the Orthodox are particularly welcoming, even to those of other faiths), so for those of you who are interested I can recommend it. Monks and nuns are wonderful people, their way of thinking is completely different from the rest of the world's ... so it will come as no surprise that you will find not a few monastics who are on the spectrum.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 5:37 pm

One of my closest friends was Mother Superior at a Dominican convent for many years. She entered as a novice and now works in retirement in lay life sharing her insights, supports people with her radical understanding of how complex life and people are.

She is one of the most radical thinkers I have ever met. My life is immensely richer for her wisdom.

She entered as a novice many decades ago to escape a terrible situation - "rather like a young man joining the French Foreign Legion", she said in one interview. I love her sense of humour, insight, intelligence and spiritual ability.

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

I am seriously interested in becoming a monk. I've had interests in several spiritual traditions including orthodox christianity. I am kind of fascinated by Mount Athos and have had at several periods in my life had fantasies about going to live there.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Feb 2015, 8:00 pm

I wouldn't consider it because I never been in any way religious or spiritual.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm

nick007 wrote:
I wouldn't consider it because I never been in any way religious or spiritual.

You don't have to be for Zen.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 8:29 pm

It would be quite interesting and I think very enjoyable at the right place.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 8:33 pm

ASS-P wrote:
Actually , I'm thinking now of the robes/habits of monks ~ Not the Halloween-costume ones that you tend to find on the Web ,, but the ones that actual modern-day monks would wear when wearing one , which would likely be of a more " modern " cut - and thicker - than costume ones , since they wear them for real .

About 1998 or 1999, I came across a web site that sold monks robes that were much more substantial than for a Halloween costume type. They were made, I think, mainly for the use in theatrical productions where they might be used fairly extensively. I think they sold at the time for something like $400 or $500 each.

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2015, 9:05 pm

When I was a kid I thought about being a nun. I'm a religion nerd (one of my special interests) and the idea of routine and quiet was appealing. The lack of sex was not.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2015, 10:33 pm

The celibacy and the religion would be the two major barriers for me as well.

If I lived in medieval times, being a monk wouldn't be such a bad option. I get the impression that a lot of nuns choose their lifestyle because the alternative was marriage. Maybe they'd be feminists or openly non-heterosexual if they came from more secular backgrounds.

If I had to become a monk, I'd go for a buddhist monastery. Hopefully they could teach me some martial arts of something, although I wouldn't be enthusiastic about shaving my head.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm

Check out these monasteries. The first for men and the second for women.

Monastery of Christ in the Desert: http://www.christdesert.org/
Monastery of Our Lady of the Desert: http://www.ourladyofthedesert.org/

Both of these permit visits from guests. I'm not positive, but I think that the guests are not limited to Catholics.

Be forewarned: the day starts at about 3:30 am and ends at about 7:30 pm. That gives you eight hours to sleep.