Deinonychus

14 Apr 2016, 5:29 pm

is this a autism trait?

some say it is

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 5:35 pm

More of a HFA thing I've read but yeah I am a visual learner too. This was one of the things I needed help in for school because the type of learning they do with students is all auditory.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

I am a very visual learner too, but I don't think all aspies are. In order to learn what a teacher is saying I have to visualize images that represent what is being said. I can recall photos very well, and if the teacher ever shows a diagram or draws something then I will remember it in a lot of detail. It's not perfect and it's hard to recall text this way, but it works pretty well. My biology teacher noted that on tests I often get my labeling wrong but my diagrams are spot on.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2016, 7:15 pm

I'm visually oriented too.. complicated verbal information just passes me by unless I can build a picture in my mind to help understand it better. The ironic thing is though even if I can build a picture from what someone is saying, if they are trying to give me some kind of emotional cue at the same time, the picture I get is always wrong anyway!! !
Social emotional agnosia is hilarious.... :lol: ... and confusing :?

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

I am also a visually oriented learner but I don't know if it is a defining trait of Autism or AS

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm

RubyWings91 wrote:
I am also a visually oriented learner but I don't know if it is a defining trait of Autism or AS

Yep, i agree with this, everyone learns differently, but if it is a defining trait or not I honestly don't know.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 10:56 pm

I'm definitely a visual learner. My mind is like a camera and takes snapshots of the world around me. I never have words or speech in my head without accompanying images. These images also allow me to memorize large quantities of spoken information, like TV shows and movies, because I just pull up the pictures, and can associate all the dialogue that goes with it.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 9:20 pm

I need to see what is being explained to me or taught to me visually, then I need to repeat it myself in order to learn. If someone simply yaps at me with instructions I will end up retaining very little information.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 11:32 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I'm definitely a visual learner. My mind is like a camera and takes snapshots of the world around me. I never have words or speech in my head without accompanying images. These images also allow me to memorize large quantities of spoken information, like TV shows and movies, because I just pull up the pictures, and can associate all the dialogue that goes with it.

I am totally like that. I am much better with remembering what I read in opposed to remembering what I hear because I can pull up an image of the text any time. I don't have a perfect Temple Grandin style photographic memory and reading things from mental photos is hard but it's still helpful.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2016, 2:49 am

I am (or at least I maybe) a visual learner as well. I am learning Japanese, which means that you must learn Chinese characters. I expect that to be hard. But... it apparently is not hard for me at all. When I think of a word in Japanese, I think in those characters.

Wenn I think of the Japanese for "Japan" I think of 日本, not of "nihon" and not even in the hiragana version にほん. I can handle the hard writing system of Japanese.

I think visually, in pictures, and while learning Japanese, that is very useful.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Apr 2016, 12:10 am

I'm definitely an auditory learner. i was born with a low vision disorder & my brain can have problems processing things I do see like I could look rite at something I can see well & not notice it's there rite away. I failed every map test I took in Wold Geography even thou I had no problems seeing the map. I couldn't remember the shapes, size & position of things.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:16 am

For me, it depends on the material I am ingesting and how it's presented.

Some things sit better with me when it's told in a way that engages me. History would be a good example. It's not just dates and names. It's real people who forged societies with all that intrigue and actual daring. The days of Iron men and wooden ships vs today...the days of wooden men and iron ships. But it just puts me to sleep in a book.

Some things must be visual. Math would be a good example. I have to see the things I am solving and get the picture. Then cut it up and rearrange it into something coherently extrapolatable. Shapes, numbers and arrangement is all a visual construct. My memory is a visual construct. Blank walls are the whiteboards of my mind.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:47 am

Visual.

Thank goodness for visual instruction videos.

RinpocheMacGuffin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2016, 12:26 pm

I'm also extremely visually orientated. Being an artist, I guess it helps, but out there, in life, the same rule applies. If I can find visual clues, I can do it, however complex. If I can't find any, the task however simple or complex, won't get done, never mind be understood. It might as well be written in Aramaic.
Over the years, working with colour theory, & realizing my brain photographs everything it sees I have been able to access a direct link to those images & they coexist alongside my own development of complex colour association methodology whereby, if somebody gives me for instance, an elongated & complex algebraic equation, I can mentally assign colours & structures to each segment, segregate & hit the correct answer without touching paper.
At the other end of the scale, I use the same method for making a mug of tea in a set order to negate executive functioning issues. It's invisible to anyone watching, since it's a well established personal algorithm, & because for me, it's a natural execution of a self built internal OS, but through that, I have been able to spot glaringly obvious, even dangerous mistakes made by neurotypicals across the board of invention. As I said, it's barely perceptible to anyone watching, but if I could have a monitor wired to the top of my head showing the process's, any observers would think they were at the local disco. :D

RinpocheMacGuffin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2016, 1:03 pm

Oh, & yes Random1 - it is a strong ASD trait. :)

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 2:31 pm

Yes, I am a visual learner and thinker as well.