Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2018, 1:36 am

As far back as I can remember, I have always been a night owl. I am currently in between jobs and my natural sleep cycle seems to be from about 3am to 11am when I wake up. There is something about the dark and stillness that I find very soothing. Is this something common to people on the spectrum?

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2018, 1:40 am

Not sure if it's a spectrum thing but I'm usually up till at least 5:00. Been that way for 10 plus years

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:39 am

LisaM1031 wrote:
my natural sleep cycle seems to be from about 3am to 11am

That's about mine, too. It's 3:30 now, and I'm just about to go to bed.

There Are Four Lights!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:48 am

mee too. :tired:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:56 am

this is the only time i can find some quiet and solace.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:59 am

Seems a lot of people with autism have delayed phase sleep syndrome or other unusual sleep patterns. I sleep in spurts of 1 to 3 hours. That's why I'm often on wp at odd hours.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 3:11 am

hoot hoot

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 5:05 am

If I was completely free from imposed schedules from things like my job, I would naturally be on a Swing Shift sleep pattern. I might stay up until 5am or 7am. Then eventually sleep at 9am or 11am.

I might work on a project until I was falling sleep in my chair then push off my sleep schedule even further.

For what it's worth, I do conform to my current work schedule on 2nd shift and manage well enough. I worked until 2am and I'm still awake at 5am while writing this. I could easily stay away until 10am but I try to get to sleep by at least 8am.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 6:25 am

I’m a man by day, a Wolfie by night....

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 9:00 am

Yes, I have been mostly nocturnal for as long as I can remember. Left to my own routines, I can get a good eight hours of sleep, but only if I o to bed at about 4-5am, and rise at about 12-1pm. Trying to force myself to fit the normal timetables of school and/or work have always been hell for me. I treat severe sleep deprivation as a routine fact of life whenever I have a job or was at school etc.

kimosabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2018, 9:17 am

I've been a night owl all my life. Actually my whole family minus my mother are also night owls (dad had autism). I work nights and refuse to work any other shift. Major minus is that my vitamin D levels are laughably low... :oops:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 9:20 am

Night owl here

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

31 May 2018, 9:43 am

I am only a night owl when I am not on a schedule. I could probably stay up until around 3 AM given the time playing games.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 10:19 am

Night owl since childhood. At my current age, my sleep cycle is entrained by my cat demanding to be fed earlier than I would like to get up. I refuse to feed her any earlier because the next day she'll be bothering me earlier and earlier.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 10:33 am

I would always try to get to bed by 4AM, but it would slowly drift further and further, until I would notice that the sun was coming up before I was asleep...so then I'd have to force myself to start going to bed earlier.

Now I have a job, and I'm on third shift, so I have a reason to be up all night. But I still have the same problem up staying up later and later every day =|

...case in point, here I am posting, 2.5 hours after my bedtime... :oops:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 11:24 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I would always try to get to bed by 4AM, but it would slowly drift further and further, until I would notice that the sun was coming up before I was asleep...so then I'd have to force myself to start going to bed earlier.

People and animals exhibit a natural, innate circadian rhythm, and the periodicity of that rhythm does not in all cases approximate natural day-length. If placed in a cave environment where there is no natural sunshine and no clocks, people's tendency to sleep and wake varies all over the place, with some having a shorter and others a longer day-length than 24 hours. These differences can cause a number of different sorts of sleep disorders.

In everyday life, we are "entrained" (re-set) by events such as a work shift, sunrise, television shows we regularly watch, and so on. (In my case, my cats, wanting to be fed in the morning!)