If there was a cure for Autism, would you take it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

If there was a cure for your autism, would you take it?
Yes 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
No 43%  43%  [ 21 ]
I would have to think about it. 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
I like turtles 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 49

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 6:12 pm

if the cost and side effects were small, i'd probably do it. i'd like to be more persuasive in things as different as getting my elderly mother the best care and the safety of aspartame.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 12:09 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
If there was a cure available for your autism, would you take it? A cure woudn't change who you are, it would just significantly improve areas where autistic people have troubles at. For instance, your social skills would improve and become normal, language skills would become normal if applicable, and cognitive abilities would reach normal intelligence if applicable as well.

If you had a cure, would you take it? Why or why not?

So, you're saying I'd still be Autistic and have mild traits but I'd be rid of the vast majority of negative life hindering traits and have more NT social interactions?

In that case, I've already done it over the last couple years via diet, herbal detox to the nth degree (high volume enemas to cleanse the intestines) & probiotics. As I've shared here on the forums for a year, my ASD symptoms are down by ~95% from their peak and I'm living a second life. I've been back to work, social interactions are much more natural and intuitive, I'm happier, healthier, wealthier.. everything is better.

So, yeah, I'd do it - I already have.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 12:16 am

No, ASD is not my issue. Anxiety and Depression from a mishandled childhood are my problems.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 3:47 pm

I'd think about it. Assuming zero side effects, it might well be worth seeing if it would improve my executive function, my ability to concentrate in a noisy unpredictable environment, and my ability to read and name emotions in self and others.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2015, 4:44 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
If there was a cure available for your autism, would you take it? A cure woudn't change who you are, it would just significantly improve areas where autistic people have troubles at. For instance, your social skills would improve and become normal, language skills would become normal if applicable, and cognitive abilities would reach normal intelligence if applicable as well.

If you had a cure, would you take it? Why or why not?

No, I would not consider a cure. I may consider proven, reputable methods which may offer small, subtle improvements in perceptual, and social skills.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 5:00 pm

I'd like to try being NT for a short time, just to see what it's like. But I realize that wouldn't be an option with a cure. I probably wouldn't take a cure. I view my AS as part of who I am, and I worry that my interests and way of thinking would change. Just on principle I think it would be the wrong thing to do--to change who I am to be "normal".