Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2015, 5:30 pm

My psychologist told me that I have a mild form of Aspergers, however, I am doubting it. What should I do about it? I'm too lady to write any further because my auto correction is dfiving me insane.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm

Have you been "officially" diagnosed with Asperger's?

It sounds like this was more an "informal" diagnosis. In which case, you really can't "do anything" about it--because it's your therapist's thought.

Even if it's official, unless you want to get into the armed forces, it won't affect your future employment or college/university prospects.

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2015, 6:10 pm

He told me that it was an official diagnosis, I did ask that repediately.

However, I can be social to a certain extent, which goes against the criteria?

What should I do now.?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:13 pm

You should do what everyone else does; log ten thousand posts on this website....

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:13 pm

I would seek a second opinion.

Find out how the diagnosis affects you in official ways. Is it on your "record" in some way?

In the US, it doesn't affect you, unless you want to join the armed forces.

If it doesn't "go on your record," I wouldn't bother myself about it. You're a person first and foremost. Asperger's is not a disease. It's more like a "difference" in many people.

It really isn't true that people with Asperger's lack the ability to be "social." There usually is some "disorder" in that aspect of things, though.

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

It goes partly in the record, he told me it would be removed if my social skills would to be normal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:22 pm

You have the right to seek a second opinion, right?

Find out how it affects things like going to university, getting a job, etc. Find out if employers can see your diagnosis if they enquired into your record. I doubt that they could.

Maybe it's only "on your record" in a positive way--such as enhancing your ability to get accommodations in university or (perhaps) employment.

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm

They are willing to provide me several helpful methods which I have my right to, mostly social and educational help.

I can probably get a second opinion, not sure what it means.

Am I supposed to assume I do not have it? I was quite determined that I did not have it, should I talk to the psychologist again or what?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 6:46 pm

A second opinion means you go to another psychologist, who might not diagnose you with Asperger's.

I know it might be irritating--but maybe these "social skills" classes might be beneficial, whether or not you have Asperger's.

I still don't believe Asperger's is something you "have." To me, it's a "variation on what is normal." It's not a disease that you could die from.

You don't have tell anybody you "have" Asperger's, even should the second psychologist says that you "have" it. It's your right not to reveal your diagnosis to anybody.

There's no shame in having Asperger's, just as there's no shame in having something like ADHD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder. You would benefit from psychotherapy, just like any person in this world of ours would benefit from psychotherapy.

In my estimation, nobody is "normal." Everybody "has" SOMETHING!

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2015, 6:59 pm

It's not that I am against it. It makes me insecure about my identity, do I have it or not? Many assumes I have it (for some reason not my previous teachers).

Have I somehow developed into being identical, even though I might not be one? I'm not viewing it as a disease.

I can't get a second opinion vecause my mother would not bear with it.

Not sure what to do

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 7:04 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
You should do what everyone else does; log ten thousand posts on this website....

Haha! Oh, it would be so much easier and fun if, after every diagnosis, the diagnosee could say "I'm going to Disneyland!" 8)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Speckle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2015, 4:32 pm

Hey Quantum,

I understand that it might make you insecure about your identity. When I first heard that I might have Aspergers (now recently) I was afraid that it would be a sign of weakness and that my wife would use it against me. I was worried that when we had an argument, she'd always say that it's my Aspergers' fault that we're fighting.
But as it turns out, it's had exactly the opposite effect! My wife seems to be a lot more forgiving towards me than before. This weekend we had 2 social events that we were meant to go to. I always find them very tiring and emotionally draining, whereas my wife considers social events very important. So yesterday, for the first time in our marriage she said to me "oh, I realize this weekend will be stressful for you, why don't you skip the second event and stay at home?" and here I am alone at home and relaxing on this forum instead of stressing out in a big crown.

I know you're considerably younger than me, so maybe this will not have the same meaning for you as it did for me. However, I found this article very helpful in understanding that I really do have Aspergers and recognizing how it has effected me throughout my life. Try to read it not with an attitude of trying to prove that these points don't apply to you (some of them won't), but see if you can relate to some of these things.
http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.php/about-aspergers/what-is-aspergers

And really, it's not a bad thing. You don't HAVE to do anything now that you have a diagnosis. If you want to, you can read some books and talk to people to get some tools (ideas) on how to make your own life easier.
Would you share why you were seeing the psychologist in the first place?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 5:33 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:

ROTFLMAO

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2015, 9:29 pm

with or without the diagnosis - you are still you - it doesn't change you - for me if was a confusing relief, it answered many questions I asked of myself. It a way it has made me free to be myself.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 9:48 am

Quantum wrote:
It's not that I am against it. It makes me insecure about my identity, do I have it or not? Many assumes I have it (for some reason not my previous teachers).

Have I somehow developed into being identical, even though I might not be one? I'm not viewing it as a disease.

I can't get a second opinion because my mother would not bear with it.

Not sure what to do

You may be at the borderline in the symptoms for being an Aspie. If you are, the diagnosis could go either way each time you get tested depending upon how the results are interpreted by the professional in charge. Remember, it is a set of characteristics that determine this, not just one thing. Friends may see one or two of these characteristics in you and then automatically say "He is an Aspie!", yet they could easily be wrong. Everyone is different in some way, even if they "seem" to be perfect, they are not. Skurvey is right. Having a label put upon you by others should not change who you are, you are the only one who can do that.