I can't read facial expressions at all?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

Only the basics but anything further I can't read at all. Even mine own sometimes, I need to get people to help me.

Why? Why cant I read facial expressions?

BrannonC529
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Sep 2012, 8:08 pm

"Why can't I read facial expressions?" ?!?!?! -.-

Well, assuming you have Aspergers, considering you have an account here, that is the dumbest question I have seen yet... Why?

1. You have ASPERGERS SYNDROME

2. Not being able to read facial expressions is one of the severe symptoms!! ! (ALSO THE ANSWER TO YOUR Q)

Seriously?

Now that that's over, (sorry for my rudeness, Aspergers :D) I can barely read facial expressions as well. I know when someone is smiling, angry (sometimes), and confused. That's about it. Whenever someone is screaming with pain, I think they are laughing. You can guess where it goes from there, lol. 8O

Oh, and BTW, I am a HUGE Linux fan :D

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 4:42 am

An NT once recommended this to me. I swear that even though this isn't 100% effective, at least it has sharpened my ability to interpret facial expressions--watch more TV.

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2012, 4:10 pm

BrannonC529 wrote:

Well, assuming you have Aspergers, considering you have an account here, that is the dumbest question I have seen yet... Why?

2. Not being able to read facial expressions is one of the severe symptoms!! ! (ALSO THE ANSWER TO YOUR Q)

Seriously?

Now that that's over, (sorry for my rudeness, Aspergers :D) I can barely read facial expressions as well. I know when someone is smiling, angry (sometimes), and confused. That's about it. Whenever someone is screaming with pain, I think they are laughing. You can guess where it goes from there, lol. 8O

Let me just highlight AT ALL. I have kanners...

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 4:17 pm

Me neither.

And apparently I don't actively control my own. I get people asking me why I'm so pissed off all the time, when I'm feeling perfectly fine.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 1:39 am

It's a symptom of all ASD's. Most people on the spectrum can't recognize facial expressions.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 12:28 am

NateRiver wrote:
Only the basics but anything further I can't read at all. Even mine own sometimes, I need to get people to help me.

Why? Why cant I read facial expressions?

Hi, I realized something when I re-read your post. I have a relatively easy time reading TV characters' facial expressions because people more or less have to exaggerate their facial expressions while acting, especially if they are acting in melodramas. However, in real life, some high-context cultures such as the Chinese culture advocate that a socially adept person should be able to hide his or her emotions as much as possible. Therefore, people who grow up in such cultures tend to be inscrutable. I won't blame you if you can't read them at all.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 1:00 am

I have trouble with expressions too......I get that there's some expression if it isn't really subtle and if I'm paying attention but but even then it's more like I know it's a "negative emotion expression" but I usually just assume the person is annoyed/angry or something with me or wants me to go away,(yes...I'm a bit insecure and paranoid) where as it later gets revealed that they're bored, nervous, "irritable" but not annoyed at me or sad/upset. Another problem for me is that a lot of times I'm just not paying attention to other people's faces :oops:

As to your question, autistic people can have certain symptoms more severely and others more mildly from what I've observed. So some autistic people can recognize expressions to a certain extent (like me) and some not at all. You might have other symptoms that are more mild, but this symptom is just really severe or pronounced in you, or maybe you just have a severe overall presentation of the disorder. Anyway it isn't unusual for an autistic person to not recognize facial expressions at all. You can buy books or download internet resources to help with this, not even necessarily written for people with ASD but just resources on how to read non-verbal cues exist- I think some NT's have trouble with it too. You can learn to recognize other nonverbal behaviour this way too-like body language-you won't learn as well as people who know this stuff instinctively but you might improve a lot. I've been too lazy, not self disciplined enough to try to really teach myself this -I suck- but it has worked for others on the spectrum to a certain extent-according to this site anyway.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2012, 5:08 am

BrannonC529 wrote:

Seriously?

Meanie. Sheesh. :p

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Sep 2012, 11:07 am

BrannonC529 wrote:

Seriously?

Well, this is a support forum for people on the Spectrum. It is fairly customary for people to vent about certain aspects of it. So, IMO this isn't the dumbest question yet. This person is just looking to vent. I can see you are fairly new here. Perhaps you will learn in time to be supportive and not critical?

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2016, 4:18 pm

icyfire4w5 wrote:
An NT once recommended this to me. I swear that even though this isn't 100% effective, at least it has sharpened my ability to interpret facial expressions--watch more TV.

I can confirm this. Watching people on TV shows has helped me A LOT.