Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 10:51 am

Is NV reasoning and spatial skills both part of performance iq? A few years ago, I had an assessment where NV reasoning and spatial were seperate categories and there was no ''performance'' category.

The spatial was 20 points higher than the NV reasoning. Verbal was 17 points higher than NV reasoning.

I know it's not that big of a difference but does that 17 point gap between "verbal" and "NV reasoning" technically put me in the NVLD category? I've heard that a 15 point gap is significant. Or does the "spatial" balance it out? NVLD wasn't mentioned when discussing the results of the assessment, probably because all three scores were above average.

It doesn't really matter now, but seeing discussions about NLVD made me curious.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

Those results are typical of people with NVLD, but you can't diagnosis it on that alone. In order to be dx with NVLD, you need actual skills in visual skills to be low. For example, you would have to fail a test in visual rotation. Or you could demonstrate your inability to recognized faces. LD's are dx based on deficiencies in abilities.

There was an old thing were you could get an LD dx based on IQ tests alone, but no-one uses that anymore.

Pawz4me
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2016, 2:02 pm

My son (17) was recently diagnosed with NVLD by a clinical psychologist based on the (vast) difference in his verbal IQ and performance IQ. The IQ subtests are tests of abilities. However, I don't know if the difference in the OP's scores are enough to qualify for a diagnosis.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:08 pm

If you are going to dx on that alone, a 15 point difference is all it take. That's one standard deviation in statistics.

I was a special education teacher. I'm not overly surprised to hear that a doc did that with your son. The field of psychology is all over the place. What matters is that he gets the help he needs.