Page 1 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 12:03 am

This has come to my mind several times now... I have always found on the net, that to be able to connect to anyone, I need a photo. Without that, I tend to struggle to see that typing as being the product of a real, living, feeling person... I can know intellectually that there is another human typing somewhere, but it doesn't resonate with me on any emotional level. I cannot picture them, generally, as anything other than the style of their writing and their avatar...so often, I have been stunned to see a photo of someone, having built up this totally unrealistic impression of them from their avatar...

Does anyone else identify with this?

Last edited by Graelwyn on 17 Mar 2007, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

17 Mar 2007, 12:06 am

Sort of. I had a picture of me for my Avatar for a while, but then I changed it to the Aspie one, which I now use on all the forums I occupy!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

17 Mar 2007, 12:08 am

i usually feel like whatever i'm listening to at the moment so put it into my avatar, now it just happens to be enslaved, ruun

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Mar 2007, 12:13 am

I loved ALF and strongly related to him. So he is the ideal avatar for me :) But I prefer to see the real person in their avatars.

I was KBABZ age 16 when ALF first came on the ait in 1986.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 12:51 am

Yeah. I identify the member with the avatar.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 12:52 am

The title of this thread made me giggle, because I thought of a certain member whose avatar got him banned. :lol:

But, yes. I get confused when people change their avatar because I identify the person with the picture.

Last edited by janicka on 17 Mar 2007, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 12:53 am

janicka wrote:
The title of this thread made me giggle, because I thought of a certain member whose avatar got him banned. :lol:

Haha! :D

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 1:04 am

Was this someone with a new avi? In the last couple of days?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 1:08 am

Maybe I need to change the title of this thread... I suggest people read my initial post, as I can see some have simply read the title and answered and not read my post! lol. It is not about your avatar, it is about how you connect others with their avatar and whether you are able to connect to someone as a human being, beyond an intellectual level, if you don't see a photo of them...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 1:10 am

I identify each member by their avatar.

Natalie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Mar 2007, 1:10 am

Mine is not me, but represents a large part of my life. It is a picture of my Desert Rosy Boa (his name is Han Solo), and snakes are one of my major obsessions. I am especially fond of native Californian herps, and I own seven snakes as well as a bunch of fish tanks.

EDIT: I'm usually not too suprised after seeing real pictures of people on forums. Before they post their pictures, I feel like other forum users are sort of just like "characters" I can interact with, but not really people. They really only seem human to me after I know what they look like. I've been talking to an online "friend" for at least three years now, but he has never shown me a picture of himself so he is more like just an "entity" to me rather than a person. It's kind of hard to explain.

Last edited by Natalie on 17 Mar 2007, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 1:12 am

Rjaye wrote:
Was this someone with a new avi? In the last couple of days?

Here's the discussion about that particular avatar...

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=27789

The thread pretty much says everything you need to know.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

17 Mar 2007, 1:41 am

Natalie wrote:
Mine is not me, but represents a large part of my life. It is a picture of my Desert Rosy Boa (his name is Han Solo), and snakes are one of my major obsessions. I am especially fond of native Californian herps, and I own seven snakes as well as a bunch of fish tanks.

So, my Avatar really rings to you eh? I like snakes too, although it isn't at an obsession level. still like 'em though!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Mar 2007, 2:38 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Maybe I need to change the title of this thread... I suggest people read my initial post, as I can see some have simply read the title and answered and not read my post! lol. It is not about your avatar, it is about how you connect others with their avatar and whether you are able to connect to someone as a human being, beyond an intellectual level, if you don't see a photo of them...

No , while I'm a visual person I avoid looking at people in real life so its rather nice not to have to do the whole face to face thing.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 2:47 am

Lets see..the reason for my avatar is I have made hundreds of sock monkeys..(it's my main fixation I guess)...so it is a good representative of who I am as a person, but the monkey in my avatar is not one I actually made..it just happened to be the right size to be used as an avatar...eventually I will replace it with one I actually made...or maybe switch them out from time to time..unless I can peeel myself from the fixation on aspergers and this message board.

I don't mind this monkey too though..he is a vintage monkey named Poxy because he is covered with spots.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 2:47 am

I hope no one thinks I'm Faris as a Red Mage. :P