problems with sensory distractions in the workplace?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm

i do survies over the phone, and i can tune out the other workers talking. however, if there's static or background noise, i barely hear what the person is saying on the end of the line. the light is a bit too bright, and the noise a bit too loud, just enough to irritate me a bit, but then my sensory issues have never been severe compared to other aspies.

sometimes my crocs bother me, so i take them off, and then the carpet against my feet sometimes bothers me. and when i cross my feet at the ankle it bothers me, and the chair against my back is bothering me, and the reciever against my ear...

any similar experiences?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
i do survies over the phone, and i can tune out the other workers talking. however, if there's static or background noise, i barely hear what the person is saying on the end of the line. the light is a bit too bright, and the noise a bit too loud, just enough to irritate me a bit, but then my sensory issues have never been severe compared to other aspies.

sometimes my crocs bother me, so i take them off, and then the carpet against my feet sometimes bothers me. and when i cross my feet at the ankle it bothers me, and the chair against my back is bothering me, and the reciever against my ear...

any similar experiences?

Every day of my life. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 2:04 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:

any similar experiences?

They got a name for it. it's called "sensory processing overload", and it's not because your senses are too sensitive. But because your brain just can't filter out certain stimuli. It's a common problem amongst people with autism and asperger's.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 3:57 am

something at work seems to trigger an overload in you. i would say it's probarbly the lighting (i assume it's fluorescent tubes), or you just get tired from tuning out your collegues.

have you tried wearing (polarized) sunglasses to work? in my case, those reduce the effect of lighting