"Aspies live to work - NTs live to play"

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:05 am

I like working when it is easy, safe and is a play (joy). When the job is not pleasant for me, I may be worse in it than NTs. If something is not interesting for an Aspie, then the Aspie rather will be worse in doing it than NT who do something not interesting for (s)he.

Job, studying are like "child pay" for me. I am irresponsible, "childish". It is a problem. Being autistic does not mean that someone is so immature. I "lack" professionalism, but I am "enthusiastic" and idealistic. My occupational skills may be deficient. I am too immature to be married, at least at the moment. I "like" doing everything for fun, not for money. It looks "schizophrenic" for me.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2015, 11:42 am

Define work, and play?

I love programming. I do it for money when I need it, but I love it more when I'm "playing". I would view reading, research and toying with electronics and software as my play time, but they also exists in my job.

If I see research as playing, as I do (it's a free time activity I find fun and rewarding and I have lots of free time), then I'm "all playing". But if you view researching, learning, etc. as work then I'm "all work". Infact even when I'm making money I'm "playing". It's like a footballer, playing football in his back garden, or training in his free time, but then playing on the pitch for money. It's both work and play.

So I guess it depends on how you define work and play.

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 3:45 pm

Vertetuesi wrote:
How true is this?

Not true for me. I hate working. I've hated every job I've ever had and every school program I have ever enrolled in.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 5:10 pm

I'm not really a work person. I do my 18 hours a week, no more. I don't take my job too seriously. I am not a goodie-two-shoes at work. I just perform my work good enough, but I often do cut corners, and even tell white lies if I have to.

There is one worker there who takes her job very seriously. She does so much overtime, even if it's unpaid, as though part of her wants the rest of us to feel guilty. Then there's this other worker who's very hypocritical; she sneaks off for cigarettes and cuts corners a lot in her work, but she acts like she's an honest hard-working person by telling us off whenever we are caught white-lying, and she is not higher up than the rest of us.

I only work because I don't want to live on benefits all my life. If I won the lottery or something, I obviously wouldn't work. But I would do voluntary work, but that's only to help others and support charities, not to kiss the boss's arse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 5:13 pm

I thought you worked full-time, for some reason.

Yes, you do have lots of free time. Enjoy it!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 7:34 pm

I live to do nothing. Actually I barely even live, I just exist.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 3:03 pm

Work is my #1 passion. I always have to be working on something before 8 in the evening.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 4:22 pm

No thanks, that sounds super mundane and boring.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 4:31 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
I think what the OP is comparing this to is, is the fact that we don't play like NT's do, like going to bars, sporting events, etc. and in most "narrow interested" jobs. AS people do work longer and harder then most NT's would. but we would not work so hard and lose focus if the job got boring and monotonous.

I like to go to bars sometimes, I am selective about which ones though and prefer to only go with people I know otherwise I drink too much to fast trying to feel more comfortable. I don't like sporting events because I don't like sports, but I enjoy concerts which is similar in that it's a crowd watching a spectacle of some sort.

Also, the working longer and harder doesn't really apply...I do however like to do things 'right' or however I see being the most efficient way but if anything that sometimes slows me down.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 4:33 pm

Kiriae wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Aspies live to work - when they're work is their obsession.
i.e. Steven Spielberg.

But obsession makes everything fun. So the work turns into play.

Not if it's work that doesn't coincide with your obsession or one of them, as some of us have multiple.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 3:59 pm

Everyone lives to do both. Without either work or play, humanity would not survive.