Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

Is this an Autism thing or am I crazy? :-( I'm all for official diagnosis terms does it have a name? Example: stacking dishes a weird way on the sink drainer different ways I'll tell a bowl to "stay" as if it's a dog that will listen to me. I KNOW they are inanimate objects etc. But I believe I feel less stressed if I talk to stuff. I do the same with the computer or PS4 with having wifi for the internet "Come on Mr./or Mrs. Computer although they have no gender significance. Guess I'm crazy or maybe it's an Autism thing? Hope the 2nd then I won't feel crazy I'm not alone. Otherwise my parents think I consciously KNOW I'm doing it so I should just STOP! Or need to be wheeled off to a psych ward. :-(

I also fluctuate between "Lazy don't do much cleaning" to overload plan behavior Do A B C D E F task THEN go have fun relax computer/web surf or video game. If I don't plan A B C D E in my head of tasks I will at times forget a task which upsets my parents not getting the cat fed or dogs taken out or *insert chore here* I know some AS or NTs do lists but I make them in my head and am thinking go go go Do A then B then C etc. Anyone familiar with this? I know Autism have Executive Functioning issues there with getting stuff done another issue my parents don't seem to understand. :-(

Thanks.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:03 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Is this an Autism thing or am I crazy? :-( I'm all for official diagnosis terms does it have a name? Example: stacking dishes a weird way on the sink drainer different ways I'll tell a bowl to "stay" as if it's a dog that will listen to me.

Yep. When inanimate objects aren't cooperating, I frequently tell them to "cut that out!" as if they were intentionally resisting me. :?

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

I also do that, like if I put a pen down on the table but it rolls away I say 'stay still'

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 3:43 pm

I do this stuff all the time. I'm not 100% sure if it's an autistic thing or if people do it in general, though...

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 4:53 pm

NEtikiman wrote:
I do this stuff all the time. I'm not 100% sure if it's an autistic thing or if people do it in general, though...

IDK, I have had normies comment on it often enough to make me feel that its not something they do very often and they seem to think its strange enough to make fun of.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm

Why not? As a planet, we talk to our public officials and they ignore us. The difference is that inanimate objects are seldom as harmful as elected officials.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm

I'm not entirely sure if it's ASD-exclusive, but I do the same-- you're not crazy :)

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:26 pm

Me too. I wouldn´t know, if it is normal. My mother did it, - but she didn´t know, that she was an aspie (I´m pretty sure, she was).
On the other hand, see how many movies, that show people talking to things. I don´t think it is specifically ASD.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

my phone. and i felt like screaming expletives at my computer all last night, but it was 1 AM and everyone else was asleep, don't want to wake the angry midgets.

and then there is people calling referring to boats/ships (and sometimes, nation states) with feminine pronouns which i find curious. maybe it's because the words for those items in gendered IE languages were more often of the 'feminine' noun class and that got transferred into english?

Quote:
stacking dishes a weird way on the sink drainer different ways I'll tell a bowl to "stay" as if it's a dog that will listen to me. I KNOW they are inanimate objects etc. But I believe I feel less stressed if I talk to stuff.

i do this too. especially when it's positioned awkwardly and right about to fall over, or when it does fall over, it seems like a sort of reflex when it is very sudden like that.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 7:12 pm

Perhaps we don't find all that much difference between inanimate objects and animate objects.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 8:55 pm

I talk to inanimate objects all the time, yeah. I'm usually to be found screaming profanities at my computer -- well, not really at the computer, but at Windows 8.1. I think that's common to a lot of people though. :lol:

I'm usually cursing stuff out.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

I do this especially when I'm waiting for a game to load I'll say "Come on hurray up and load"

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 1:15 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I talk to inanimate objects all the time, yeah. I'm usually to be found screaming profanities at my computer -- well, not really at the computer, but at Windows 8.1. I think that's common to a lot of people though. :lol:

I'm usually cursing stuff out.

Makes sense. :D

I do stuff like this all the time...especially at work when the registers decide to stop cooperating. I think the customers find it more amusing than odd.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Mar 2015, 1:27 am

I only do it when I'm frustrated with em & I'm cursing at them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Mar 2015, 1:30 am

I think it is fairly normal thing for most people, usually for me it involves me directing some anger towards this object. Oh man, I use to get mad at my playstation lol.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 11:42 am

I talk to inanimate objects all the time.

I figure that as long as they don't answer back it's all A-OK 8)