Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
slave wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I got out of poverty by seeking and accepting every form of legal employment available (and few that weren't quite 'ethical'). Dishwasher, line-painter, trash-collector, roofer, telemarketer, septic-tank cleaner, janitor, lawn-mower, storefront 'psychic', snowplow driver, busboy, repo man, toll attendant, ticket-taker, tutor, usher, graffiti remover, ... if it paid, I played. Sometimes I would show up to a construction site and offer to be a 'gopher' ("go-for this, gofer that, gopher the other thing"), and sometimes loaded and unloaded trucks until my back was screaming agony and my hands bloody and blistered. The final "up-and-out" for me was military enlistment in my early 30s. After the previous years' worth of abuse and effort, boot camp was easy. Drill sergeant screaming in my face? No worse that being yelled at by schizos and tweakers! 70 push-ups for sneezing? No worse than lifting and loading 50-pound bags of fertilizer into a semi-truck trailer in July. Institutional food? Hallelujah! It was FOOD! One sure cure for poverty is employment. One sure way to stay in poverty is to be picky about where you'll work and what kinds of work you'll do.
you were a PSYCHIC 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: I commend your resourcefulness.
Yes, a 'psychic' ... among other shady professions that I "Plead the Fifth" on ...

Do I assume correctly that you were feigning your 'psychic' ability and regard it as hokum?

:D

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm

I don't know the specifics of your situation, so I doubt that I can offer any specific advice that would be useful. I will say how I have made progress in getting out of poverty. I worked and went to school. It took me eleven years to get my bachelor's degree because of executive functioning issues. I am not a good multi-tasker. I have sought help from the government when I didn't earn enough money to support myself (I got food stamps while working full-time at a minimum wage job and I got on Medicaid while working full-time). I sought help from my local government-run employment agency. I also went to Voc. Rehab. and sought advice from them. I've had mental health problems for as long as I can remember, way before I turned 18 so my whole adult life, I have considered going on disability, but I just tried to adapt instead. Because I don't multi-task well, I have never taken a full courseload in college (4 or 5 classes simultaneously). Instead, I have gone to school part time, or attended colleges where you take one class at a time. I avoided working full-time and going to school full-time until I absolutely had to. It damn near killed me, and I ended up quitting work my last semester of college because I couldn't handle both.

I ran into this really good personal finance adviser on talk radio. His name is Dave Ramsey. I have tried my best to follow his advice (living within my means and going without if I can't afford it). Now I work two jobs to pay my bills. I'm watching my debts disappear. In 2 or 3 years, I will be ready to go back to school and start a different career, one that pays more than social services.

I also had family support and was raised to work and pay my own way. This has been indispensable.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm

slave wrote:
Fnord wrote:
slave wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I got out of poverty by seeking and accepting every form of legal employment available (and few that weren't quite 'ethical'). Dishwasher, line-painter, trash-collector, roofer, telemarketer, septic-tank cleaner, janitor, lawn-mower, storefront 'psychic', snowplow driver, busboy, repo man, toll attendant, ticket-taker, tutor, usher, graffiti remover, ... if it paid, I played. Sometimes I would show up to a construction site and offer to be a 'gopher' ("go-for this, gofer that, gopher the other thing"), and sometimes loaded and unloaded trucks until my back was screaming agony and my hands bloody and blistered. The final "up-and-out" for me was military enlistment in my early 30s. After the previous years' worth of abuse and effort, boot camp was easy. Drill sergeant screaming in my face? No worse that being yelled at by schizos and tweakers! 70 push-ups for sneezing? No worse than lifting and loading 50-pound bags of fertilizer into a semi-truck trailer in July. Institutional food? Hallelujah! It was FOOD! One sure cure for poverty is employment. One sure way to stay in poverty is to be picky about where you'll work and what kinds of work you'll do.
you were a PSYCHIC 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: I commend your resourcefulness.
Yes, a 'psychic' ... among other shady professions that I "Plead the Fifth" on ...
Do I assume correctly that you were feigning your 'psychic' ability and regard it as hokum?
Yes on both counts.

You tend to be self-critical, and you tend to think outside the box. You have a hard time letting things go, whether good or bad. When you have your mind set on something, everyone else had better clear the way, although at times, your goals are a little unrealistic.

You have eclectic tastes in music and art, and you have yet to find someone who shares your opinions in every respect. Socializing itself is not an easy thing for you, and that "Special Someone" has eluded your best efforts. People tend to disappoint you, and getting close to others takes great effort.

Am I right so far? I sense that I may be a little off on one or two points ... :(

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:29 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
I don't know the specifics of your situation, so I doubt that I can offer any specific advice that would be useful. I will say how I have made progress in getting out of poverty. I worked and went to school. It took me eleven years to get my bachelor's degree because of executive functioning issues. I am not a good multi-tasker. I have sought help from the government when I didn't earn enough money to support myself (I got food stamps while working full-time at a minimum wage job and I got on Medicaid while working full-time). I sought help from my local government-run employment agency. I also went to Voc. Rehab. and sought advice from them. I've had mental health problems for as long as I can remember, way before I turned 18 so my whole adult life, I have considered going on disability, but I just tried to adapt instead. Because I don't multi-task well, I have never taken a full courseload in college (4 or 5 classes simultaneously). Instead, I have gone to school part time, or attended colleges where you take one class at a time. I avoided working full-time and going to school full-time until I absolutely had to. It damn near killed me, and I ended up quitting work my last semester of college because I couldn't handle both.

I ran into this really good personal finance adviser on talk radio. His name is Dave Ramsey. I have tried my best to follow his advice (living within my means and going without if I can't afford it). Now I work two jobs to pay my bills. I'm watching my debts disappear. In 2 or 3 years, I will be ready to go back to school and start a different career, one that pays more than social services.

I also had family support and was raised to work and pay my own way. This has been indispensable.

I admire what you have achieved. You have 'enabled' your progress, even through and over the roadblocks and speedbumps. I really admire that. We need a new word, I think: someone who could be called an "enablist".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:38 pm

Yep...that's a great new word! For somebody who has "enabled" his/herself to achieve to his/her highest potential.

That's not "Able-ist"--that's "Enable-ist!"

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep...that's a great new word! For somebody who has "enabled" his/herself to achieve to his/her highest potential.

That's not "Able-ist"--that's "Enable-ist!"

So glad that you like it, Kraftie :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:31 pm

Fnord wrote:

:lol: I've never been a psychic, but I've definitely had some of those shady professions that I "Plead the Fifth" on... :lol:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 11:02 pm

Value poverty

I'd rather be poor as hell than wealthy. You never appreciate things as much when they're easily given.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:41 am

Fnord wrote:
slave wrote:
Fnord wrote:
slave wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yes on both counts.

You tend to be self-critical, and you tend to think outside the box. You have a hard time letting things go, whether good or bad. When you have your mind set on something, everyone else had better clear the way, although at times, your goals are a little unrealistic.

You have eclectic tastes in music and art, and you have yet to find someone who shares your opinions in every respect. Socializing itself is not an easy thing for you, and that "Special Someone" has eluded your best efforts. People tend to disappoint you, and getting close to others takes great effort.

Am I right so far? I sense that I may be a little off on one or two points ... :(

add to that the desire on the part of the mark to believe that psychics are real and viola another sucker is born

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:04 am

Dillogic wrote:
Value poverty

I'd rather be poor as hell than wealthy. You never appreciate things as much when they're easily given.

So true. A few of my relatives grew up rich and spoiled with everything that they could ever ask for. (How many 10 year old kids have bank accounts in the high five figures and it is not for college?) Since they did not have to work for it with a job, they did not value money the same as someone who grew up poor. I remember a time where they bought out a fireworks stand (yes, the entire supply) because they wanted to. Times changed and the role got reversed on them when their farm started falling apart. That was a hard lesson for them to learn, as they always expected to stay rich living off of the farm account. They now value money much differently because they have to do work to obtain it.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:54 am

Not try to be picky about a job? Then you have never worked very sh***y work environment where you couldn't go to work anymore because you got PTSD from a job that was so degrading and bad. Being picky however beats not willing to work at all.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Value poverty

So true. A few of my relatives grew up rich and spoiled with everything that they could ever ask for. (How many 10 year old kids have bank accounts in the high five figures and it is not for college?) Since they did not have to work for it with a job, they did not value money the same as someone who grew up poor. I remember a time where they bought out a fireworks stand (yes, the entire supply) because they wanted to. Times changed and the role got reversed on them when their farm started falling apart. That was a hard lesson for them to learn, as they always expected to stay rich living off of the farm account. They now value money much differently because they have to do work to obtain it.

Some truth to this, yeah. I've never had much in the way of savings until the last year or so. I now have growing savings/investment accounts. I work hard for my money and don't get paid much, so it's taken extreme discipline to save up. I also now spend less than ever, too - and yet there's not much of anything I really want. The secret to having everything you want is not to want anything! ;) Seriously. I've gone from over $100k in debt and bankrupt a couple years ago to multiple five figures in savings/investments. I certainly value it more having earned every penny than if it were handed to me. Also, the things I do value aren't things at all - anyone can enjoy them in poverty or wealth. Having that mentality & embracing the simple things in life, "valuing poverty," so to speak, will most certainly make me a very wealthy man in the long run.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm

Aniihya wrote:
Not try to be picky about a job? Then you have never worked very sh***y work environment where you couldn't go to work anymore because you got PTSD from a job that was so degrading and bad. Being picky however beats not willing to work at all.
I am a military veteran with combat experience. If you want to talk about 'sh***y' jobs, you should try mucking out the field latrine with snipers around the camp (been there, done that, came back with a campaign ribbon).

THEN you can talk all you want about 'sh***y' jobs.

:roll: Kids these days ...

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 3:19 am

Fnord wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
I am a military veteran with combat experience. If you want to talk about 'sh***y' jobs, you should try mucking out the field latrine with snipers around the camp (been there, done that, came back with a campaign ribbon).

THEN you can talk all you want about 'sh***y' jobs.

:roll: Kids these days ...

A bit OT, but talking about sh***y jobs. When I was little, living in underdeveloped areas. There were many public toilets with no plumbing. Once a while a "poop scooper" drive up with his donkey cart and big poop barrel on it. He would use a long dipper to scoop them up by hand and pour into his barrel. The smell around the cart and the dude was atrocious. The stench was so strong and concentrated they actually condensed to form a layer of saltpeter on the outside of the barrel. Some kids told me they scrape those off to use in illegal firecrackers (like the type with no fuse but explode upon impact). (If you don't believe me look up guano.) People here have no idea the fear he instilled on children. How? Parents would say if you don't do better in school, you might only be fit to do that job. It's enough to scare any kid into working hard on their homework and study all night for their exams. :D

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 5:07 am

While it's been a long time since my work years... aside from a couple of recent contracts... the one major thing I'll say here is pretty simple and is what got me through the bazillions of bloody stupid jobs: just NEVER GIVE UP. The moment you start to think "I cant do this" is the moment when you in fact start to be unable to do it. It took... awhile for me to really learn that sort of concept fully. My father in particularly always yammered on about "the power of positive thinking!" but it took quite some time before I really "got it". Granted, even then I'm still pretty negative by default (so that positive thinking tends to be like "ugh I hate this thing BUT I CAN TOTALLY DO THIS, HAHA argh this is so damn stupid" with me) ... hence my name... but still, it ends up helping alot. I dont work anymore, but I've other challenges/issues to deal with these days, and that sort of thinking really does help.

It may sound cliche'd and stupid, but.... eh, whatever works.

And there, that's my own probably not very useful input on that. Not useful, but I bloody well gave it anyway! Hah.

But good luck either way.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 5:21 am

Good for you, Misery. That isn't an easy transition to make, but you made it, and that really impresses me. Take a big bow :)