Kosher 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Halal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 53

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:11 pm

Just seeing what kind of diets you guys have. Personally I am a flexitarian.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:23 pm

Ovo-lacto-vegetarian. I assume if anyone says "vegetarian" without qualifiers they mean ovo-lacto, and usually don't say ovo-lacto, though if people talk more about food I will specify. Then there's the limitations due to sensory issues, but mostly its that I'm veg.

(Also, I HATE the definition of flexitarian as "a vegetarian who occasionally eats meat" like some people use. If you eat meat you are not a vegetarian. Someone who usually avoids meat, but will on occasion indulge", that's a useful definition. Do not use a word that has another specific definition (and one which is frequently misunderstood and causes problems for people who are that). I've had so many problems caused for me by people assuming vegetarian means any sort of reduction of eating of meat.)

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:20 pm

But flexitarianism means flexible vegetarian, which does make sense because it is about rationing. Not all has to be black and white. Omnivorous is indulging all sorts of foods solely on appetite. Eating vegetarian five of seven days is moderation. That is the point of flexitarianism. You don't have to be so pragmatic about everything. I pretty much am a semi-vegan since I eat vegan during the week and eat meat only on the weekend, however I still don't use dairy, eggs or gelatin on the weekends (partially because of egg and dairy allergy).

Now if people think vegetarian is a reduction of meat, then they are uneducated. You must educate them.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:53 pm

No red meat.
I am like this since childhood. I was never able to eat red meat because it is too hard and sinewy for me. It's hard to bite, the thread-like parts hurt my tongue and get between my teeth. The only exception is my grandma's homemade pork loin. She makes it somehow soft and fragile. But for example my mom's homemade pork loin is still a no-no, she just can't prepare it right.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:25 pm

I'm on the "see-food" diet---What ever I see, I eat!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:29 pm

Besides being a vegan, I'm also transitioning to an extremely low-grain diet (like I'll only eat grains on occasion). I also eat a high-carb diet because otherwise I constantly feel hungry. Also, I rarely eat anything that contains added sweetener.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

LOL. :lol:

My diet is called the tomorrow diet. It always starts tomorrow. It's the diet of the future!

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2015, 6:47 pm

General preference order from most preferred to least preferred:

Beef --> Fish --> Ham --> Turkey --> Anything eggs --> Chicken (no nuggets ew) --> Salad --> Fruit --> Beans --> Cheese --> Bread

I like the taste of sugar... but merely knowing how bad it is for me deters me from eating it for the most part. I love gummy lifesavers, gummy bears, and caramel. Other than that is just so-so. I'm ok with the taste of soda too... but again... 'I don't drink my calories' (as my mother would say). Despite this, I LOVE Red Bull.

edit: I don't really have a strict dietary standard. I just prefer meat and eggs to anything else. I try not to eat bread and other grain rich foods.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:55 pm

You must be doing something right, Dianthus---you are a Hardy Perennial!

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

Omnivore here!

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2015, 7:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

You are dangerous 8O :)

I'm a vegetarian.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 11:29 am

I eat much more vegetables and fruits than meat because raw meat looks like a part of a dead animal and is full of germs. It's gross.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 1:38 pm

I have a Jain diet because I am a Jain. It's the same as being vegan except we don't eat vegetables that grow under the soil like potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. This is because uprooting the plant will kill it and Jains are sworn to non-violence. Fruits are fine because the plant isn't getting killed that way. We also eschew milk, cheese and eggs because the animal industry in America is detrimental to animal health. They are treated poorly, pumped up with hormones, and fed products not natural for them.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 1:44 pm

Limited meat. Very little red meat. Fair amount of fish. Lots of veges, fruit, nuts. No gluten, very little dairy.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the occasional bacon cheeseburger as a treat (on a gluten free bun of course). But it's not something I have that often.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:02 pm

Medicinal & Nutritional.
I eat what's good for my brain and body.
Because Health is Wealth & You are what you eat.

"Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food." - Hippocrates

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

Aniihya wrote:
But flexitarianism means flexible vegetarian, which does make sense because it is about rationing. Not all has to be black and white. Omnivorous is indulging all sorts of foods solely on appetite. Eating vegetarian five of seven days is moderation. That is the point of flexitarianism. You don't have to be so pragmatic about everything. I pretty much am a semi-vegan since I eat vegan during the week and eat meat only on the weekend, however I still don't use dairy, eggs or gelatin on the weekends (partially because of egg and dairy allergy).

Now if people think vegetarian is a reduction of meat, then they are uneducated. You must educate them.

The diet of someone who reduces meat makes a lot of sense. Using a word that has a specific meaning Doesn't. Especially when using that word ends up causing problems for people who do eat that diet.

I am saying now explicitly that people using things like "semi-vegetarian" has made it extremely difficult for me to find food at some restaurants. It's made it even more difficult at things like potlucks. People won't pay attention to vegetarianism, because they assume people will eat a little meat, because so many people use the word vegetarian associated with things like eating meat rarely, even if they do something like "semi-vegetarian". I can basically never eat soup that isn't homemade because people don't understand about the stock mattering, and even when I explicitly clarify that it does, I get different replies for the same soup on such a frequent basis, because of how many people have been "semi-vegetarian" and had the stock not matter for them.

Specifying that you will only rarely eat meat, specifying you won't eat meat every day of the week, sure. Eating low meat diets, great. Don't use our word. Not only because of black-and-white issues, but because in this case, its one where people don't understand the differences for the people where it is a thing where it is a hard limit, and they attempt to push the 'but its not a hard limit for others' on them.