Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

WillTheSpartan1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2015, 8:23 pm

My name is Will I'm 17 years old and I have aspergers syndrome. I'm having some trouble with my parents, pretty much last month I was invited by a friend to go to his Baptist church for an event and there I had a deep religous expierence and I also reunited with a couple of elementry school friends and I fell in love with this one girl who goes to my high school and I know she likes me so I started attending that church much to my parents disproval, my father is a methodist and my mother is a presbyterian. They tell me Baptist people do not believe in equal rights for everyone, tehy say they don't belive in drinking beer, dancing, and are not fond of gays which I say bullcrap, mark wahlburg is a baptist and supports gay rights, rapper entertainer and men in black star Will Smith is a baptist and supports gay rights, now recently my parents are thinking about forbiding me from going to that church which pisses me off, I've started to make friends there easily because I had reunited with my two friends from elementery school and they want me to start going to presbityrian church again but at the presbyterian I didn't know anybody and there nobody wanted to be my friend (I was 11 last time I went there) and the girl I like is going to leave for college in Tennessee in August and if I don't get her to love me soon I will lose her forever and I won't have another chance to date in high school and it will be my parent's fault I told them this but they wouldn't hear it and I don't know what to do now I was depressed but ever since I went to that baptist church I've been happy again but ever since my parents stopped letting me go to the batist church Iv'e been depressed again so If I could have some help and advice that would be nice

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 9:36 pm

If your parents are true Christians, they should understand, it's not about what church you go to, or what denominations you belong to. What matters is that you believe in God and Jesus and you follow Christian teachings. People choose what church they go to for all kinds of reasons. For some, like your parents, it matters a lot to them what a denomination believes in. But it's also important to most people to feel a sense of community and fellowship at church. I think I would explain to them that what you want is to feel that sense of fellowship, and that you feel that more at the Baptist church than you do at their church. That's a totally valid reason for your choice. And emphasize that you're not necessarily aligning with everything that particular church believes in. Tell them you feel depressed because you miss going there and you don't feel comfortable at their church. And try not to make it sound like you want to go there just because of the girl. I don't think that's the only reason you want to go there, but I think if you talk about her very much, it will come across that way and they won't hear you out.