AS being a "Type of Autism" ruins my self esteem.

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 6:13 am

bumpityboo123 wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
AS is on the autistic spectrum. Even those under the AS umbrella very greatly in abilities and deficiencies. People with more challenges aren't lesser than anyone else. Deal with it, and then move on with your life.

Why don't people realize you build self esteem. I think it gets mixed up with ego, which too many people cradle like a fragile egg.

I'm just sick of stereotypes and being diagnostically seen as "mild ret*d". Don't forget that a lot of people want severely autistic people euthanized because of how "worthless" they are to them. I don't condone the genocidal thoughts of some NTs but I can understand why they would think that way. I hate seeing myself as a burden or "ret*d" because Autism is a "spectrum disorder" and everyone on the spectrum is being treated equally bad. I didn't even get the same tools as other people did in primary school
because they were "too dangerous".

Perhaps you can sought out your own personal self esteem issues without casting elitist slurs on other autistic folk who have done nothing to deserve your remarks about them being "ret*d".

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2015, 7:24 am

bumpityboo123 wrote:
This has been upsetting me for quite a while now that milder forms of AS are being put anywhere near classic Autism or that AS is the same as High Functioning Autism. The thing is that I can read people's facial expressions and understand body language, I don't flap my hands, I can understand sarcasm unless I'm not paying attention and have good friends. Yet, I tend to really start feeling negative toward myself and how I look like to other people. Sometimes, simply looking in the mirror can make me feel s**t for the rest of the day, especially after seeing all the disdain that people have for people with AS because of how it apparently is simply a milder form of being too disabled to speak or do simple tasks like tying your shoes and have violent anger outbursts over the tiniest things. It makes me feel uncomfortable being put in a spectrum with people who are discriminated against because they're genuinely disabled.

Apparently science can't see much of a difference. Nobody wants a clear distinction between AS and Autism, not even the AS folks, yet AS seems closer to being NT than having Autism to me.

Perhaps another way of looking at this would be to improve the way you perceive people with classic autism?
It seems to me like you have a negative view of autism and so don't like being associated with people who you view as less than yourself. I guess I can understand that as a few years ago I would probably have had a negative view of autistic people myself. But I think trying to disassociate aspergers from classic autism is the wrong way to go about improving your own self image. Instead perhaps work on how you perceive people with classic and / or "high functioning"* autism. Once you understand that there is no shame in being associated with these people then your own sense of self worth will improve.

* I really am beginning to hate the the term high functioning as it divides autism into good and bad autism.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 8:29 am

bumpityboo123 wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
AS is on the autistic spectrum. Even those under the AS umbrella very greatly in abilities and deficiencies. People with more challenges aren't lesser than anyone else. Deal with it, and then move on with your life.

Why don't people realize you build self esteem. I think it gets mixed up with ego, which too many people cradle like a fragile egg.

I'm just sick of stereotypes and being diagnostically seen as "mild ret*d". Don't forget that a lot of people want severely autistic people euthanized because of how "worthless" they are to them. I don't condone the genocidal thoughts of some NTs but I can understand why they would think that way. I hate seeing myself as a burden or "ret*d" because Autism is a "spectrum disorder" and everyone on the spectrum is being treated equally bad. I didn't even get the same tools as other people did in primary school
because they were "too dangerous".

Well, that's a demeaning way of seeing autistic people in general. Has anyone ever called you a "mild ret*d"?

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 8:58 am

Surely you must know that your comments here would be hurtful and sound degrading and dehumanizing to some very valuable and much loved members of this forum.

- Albert Einstein

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2015, 10:06 am

Since it is nearing Easter I think a good egg hunt is in order.

Who can tell me why in @ 183days &13hours from this post any conversation about the DSM and its inclusion of Aspergers with autism is a thread wasted.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 12:02 pm

kicker wrote:

Who can tell me why in @ 183days &13hours from this post any conversation about the DSM and its inclusion of Aspergers with autism is a thread wasted.

Since it is Easter I want to know how long it will be after the thread dies it will rise from the dead(necrobumped)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 12:09 pm

Off Topic Post

Adamantium wrote:
Being upset about this is like being upset that a "mild" thunderstorm and a hurricane both get the "severe weather" label. It's not the labels that makes people react, it's the characteristics the labels describe.

Now you are getting into my special interest. Not any old T-storm can get the severe designation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_thunderstorm_warning

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
kicker wrote:

Since it is Easter I want to know how long it will be after the thread dies it will rise from the dead(necrobumped)

Could always start a pool.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 12:49 pm

bumpityboo123 wrote:
Apparently science can't see much of a difference. Nobody wants a clear distinction between AS and Autism, not even the AS folks, yet AS seems closer to being NT than having Autism to me.

The overabundance of sensory neuroreceptors in the brain is shared by everybody on the spectrum - we all have the same issues with sensory stimuli overwhelming the brain's ability to process incoming data, causing hyperanxiety and a withdrawal from the external world, into our own minds, and inhibiting abilities to navigate social interactions.

The "spectrum" is the sliding scale of how functionally we are able to handle those problems and live in some degree of normalcy.

The common misconception that autism is synonymous with mental retardation comes from the simple fact that that's what the media reported on, exclusively, for years. Mainstream media depends on ratings, so they always go with the most dramatic example of anything. When Hans Asperger identified this condition in 1947, he called it Autism. The term "Asperger's Syndrome" wasn't coined until after he died in 1980. So AS has never been anything but autism.

So there really was never any reason to call it anything else.

As for people who call themselves "superior" to neurotypicals because of their autism, I don't think most of them actually believe that, anyone who suffers from this knows its a handicap, but sometimes it makes a person feel better to pretend its a superpower. What the hell, we take enough abuse from the neurotypical world for not being able to keep up, I think we deserve to take a little pride in the strengths that we have. Let people have their harmless delusions, if it keeps them from being chronically depressed. The last thing we need is bickering, name-calling and infighting among our own.

It sounds like you're just succumbing to the notion that autism = ret*d, and that's insulting to everybody on the spectrum. Don't get suckered by the stereotypes of the ignorant and the bullies. You don't need to change your designation to avoid embarrassment, they need to change their thinking, because its pathetically uninformed.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

bumpityboo123 wrote:
This has been upsetting me for quite a while now that milder forms of AS are being put anywhere near classic Autism or that AS is the same as High Functioning Autism. The thing is that I can read people's facial expressions and understand body language, I don't flap my hands, I can understand sarcasm unless I'm not paying attention and have good friends. Yet, I tend to really start feeling negative toward myself and how I look like to other people. Sometimes, simply looking in the mirror can make me feel s**t for the rest of the day, especially after seeing all the disdain that people have for people with AS because of how it apparently is simply a milder form of being too disabled to speak or do simple tasks like tying your shoes and have violent anger outbursts over the tiniest things. It makes me feel uncomfortable being put in a spectrum with people who are discriminated against because they're genuinely disabled.

If you have Asperger's Syndrome, you basically have the brain of a cat. NTs have the brain of a dog.

Cats are far more badass than dogs. Dogs are p*****s compared to cats....really!

No need to feel of less worth than NTs.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

evilreligion wrote:
* I really am beginning to hate the the term high functioning as it divides autism into good and bad autism.

Good and bad are subjective to the individual. The irony is that when my daughter was diagnosed some years ago she was referred to by the psychologist as "High functioning" on the autism scale. Now that people with Aspergers and their parents are getting used to being part of the "autism family" her condition relative to people formerly diagnosed with Aspergers has moved down the scale to moderate or intermediate (mostly in relation to her social/communication functionality). I don't particularly care as these labels make no difference to her (or for that matter) other folk on the spectrum.

Newbies on WP might not be aware but the vast majority of Aspies on WP never referred to themselves as autistic (this includes Alex) prior to recent changes in DSM. I am speculating but there are more than a few here (and their families) who don't like being associated with classic Kanner's autism in the perception of the wider community. That's the way life is.

While labelling High Vs low function is an unpleasant aspect of being part of the autistic community (if such a community actually exists? at least online) lets not kid ourselves there is always going to be a divide between those who are independent and those who will rely on social/family support to survive for the rest of their lives.

The OP sees himself in the context of being a member of mainstream society and is allowing his identity to be dictated by others and having difficulty establishing his own sense of identity. Of course this will impact on his self-esteem. I think this is an ongoing issue for most on the spectrum. Not unlike young people coming to terms with identity/self-esteem being part of other minority groups relating to disability, ethnicity, culture, religion, sexual orientation etc etc...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

will@rd wrote:
bumpityboo123 wrote:

The overabundance of sensory neuroreceptors in the brain is shared by everybody on the spectrum - we all have the same issues with sensory stimuli overwhelming the brain's ability to process incoming data, causing hyperanxiety and a withdrawal from the external world, into our own minds, and inhibiting abilities to navigate social interactions.

The "spectrum" is the sliding scale of how functionally we are able to handle those problems and live in some degree of normalcy.

The common misconception that autism is synonymous with mental retardation comes from the simple fact that that's what the media reported on, exclusively, for years. Mainstream media depends on ratings, so they always go with the most dramatic example of anything. When Hans Asperger identified this condition in 1947, he called it Autism. The term "Asperger's Syndrome" wasn't coined until after he died in 1980. So AS has never been anything but autism.

So there really was never any reason to call it anything else.

As for people who call themselves "superior" to neurotypicals because of their autism, I don't think most of them actually believe that, anyone who suffers from this knows its a handicap, but sometimes it makes a person feel better to pretend its a superpower. What the hell, we take enough abuse from the neurotypical world for not being able to keep up, I think we deserve to take a little pride in the strengths that we have. Let people have their harmless delusions, if it keeps them from being chronically depressed. The last thing we need is bickering, name-calling and infighting among our own.

It sounds like you're just succumbing to the notion that autism = ret*d, and that's insulting to everybody on the spectrum. Don't get suckered by the stereotypes of the ignorant and the bullies. You don't need to change your designation to avoid embarrassment, they need to change their thinking, because its pathetically uninformed.

Good post. However I think many of us (such as the OP) are still subject to public perception and it's influence on our self-esteem. I think (as you have alluded to) the remedy for the OP is to address his own personal views on what stereotypes he believes his self-identity is characterized by. I think it's possible to inoculate yourself against negative stereotypes by working on your own self-esteem and building it up. This seems to be the real solution for the OP rather than (unrealistically) wanting labels to return to the "good old days" which is externalizing his personal problems and not addressing them.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:52 pm

Face it. When you're a kid, still in school. Anything that makes you stand out as different will attack and destroy your self esteem. Not just autism. You need to just get over it.

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2015, 11:09 pm

Personally, I would have preferred they had kept the separate designations simply because of the simplicity and clarity. The more words we have with different shades of meaning the better. But it has nothing to do with my self-esteem. I actually have pretty high self-esteem contrary to outward appearances.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 8:09 am

It doesn't bother me much that AS is seen as autism. I don't like the stigma attached to AS, but I don't see it as having much to do with it being associated with autism.

I try to remain reasonably arrogant and unapologetic about my condition. I'm more likely to consider cleansing my environment of judgemental people than internalising their judgements. Most people out there seem to prop themselves up with irrational, egocentric ideas, they rarely seem to admit there's anything wrong with their chosen careers and general behaviour, and they tend to blame others for their unhappiness.

sunset47
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2015, 11:31 am

I just posted about doubts to my diagnosis, but YOU affect your self-esteem. You can choose to think positively or negatively. If you feel it is inaccurate, get a 2nd opinion. But if you feel that it is accurate, you need to learn how to deal with it (or if you had a 2nd opinion and esp a 3rd opinion tell you that you have it).

I kind of wish they would combine NLD / SCD / Asperger's / PDD-NOS under one umbrella if the VIQ > PIQ by a large margin and Asperger's / PDD-NOS / HFA under ASD if the PIQ > VIQ. Both are communication issues, but it's whether you have the obsessive interests and/or repetitive behaviors associated with autism that determines if you are on the spectrum or not.

By the way, arrogant is different than positive. You really don't want to be arrogant about your condition.

EQ = 50
SQ = 37
AQ = 22
You are very likely neurotypical