Was it easy to get your favoured pet?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 9:20 pm

To get my kitty I had to threaten my housing officer that I'd kill the landlord if I can't have one... because the world is so merciless that a person with no family and one friend can't even have a feline companion. Supposedly because they might ruin the carpets if they pee on them... which doesn't work well as an excuse when I drop so many liquids cats can't possibly surpass the amount of destruction... but, point being, if landlords are such greedy bastards that they'd happily parasitically live off 'real estate investment' while effectively making sure their tenants live in isolation... I think some can agree that they deserve such threats.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:34 am

Get a grip.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:14 am

Well, I had to abduct "it", and it's also quite illegal to keep "it" locked up in the basement (abduction goes without saying with the legality), so pretty hard.

But hey, good things come and all that.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:40 am

There are plenty of unloved and unwanted cats and dogs in this world. I don't think death threats or abductions are necessary to befriend one.

My most favored dog was sitting outside my door whining and crying and scratching at the door during a tropical storm that was sweeping through my area. I finally opened the door and told him, "you can come in - but just for one night." He stated with me for the rest of his life and loved me so unconditionally.

- Albert Einstein

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:36 pm

easiest thing in the world. i walked down the street, and someone i knew because i used to pat his dog told me there's a feral kitten screaming under a bush, so i went and got it. she was five weeks old and the size of a rat, but she attacked me with a vengeance. i got a cardboard box from some people working outside a grocery store and took her home.

we have millions of feral cats all over the streets, anywhere you go. cant be easier than this to just pick one up and take home. take your pick. i got hazelnut because she was sick with felines herpes, but she got over it and is perfectly healthy now. i was afraid she'd die without treatment, and that's why i got her. now she's my baby.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 12:01 am

I don't have any pets.

I read recently that either the city of Vancouver or the province of BC is considering changes to the Tenancy Act that would disallow landlords to discriminate against pet owners. Landlords would have to allow pets. They'd just collect a separate damage deposit for pet damage.

I think a big part of the reason we have a problem with stray cats now (recent news article said more than 30,000 stray cats in my particular suburb city) is because so many landlords say no pets.. so when people move and aren't allowed to take their cat with them to their new place, they just let it go outside to fend for itself. A few years ago Vancouver had a lot of stray cats and had to sterilize them. Now it has to be done here. Totally avoidable if people had the right to keep their pets no matter where they move to.

I think people should be allowed to have their pets. But I also think they should keep their places clean and should be responsible for any cleaning/repairs required due to their pet - including replacing carpeting as necessary.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Mar 2015, 12:43 am

It was difficult to get my mom to agree to let me have a chinchilla but I got my dad to take me to the pet store to get her without my mom's consent. Me & my girlfriend had a difficult time finding apartments that would accept pets but we had our docs sign off that we needed em which helped.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 12:52 am

The three types of pets I've been most interested in having are ferrets, snakes, and lizards.
I haven't yet lived anywhere I've been allowed to own one though.

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2015, 1:57 am

Luckily my mums a cat person.

ana8710
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2015, 10:21 pm

I didn't have much problems with this... Here in Brazil it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't bother the neighbors. The contracts usually don't even mention pets, and it doesn't matter if the building's rules are against pets, because these internal rules aren't above the law... And inside your house you have every right to have a pet. You just can't walk with it in the common areas if the rules of the building are against it, so you have to take your pet in your arms whenever you have to take it outside.
The only cases that pets are really forbidden are when you deal directly with the landlord (without management companies) and he is your neighbor and doesn't allow you to have pets. I never saw this happen in a "real" building, though. It happens mostly when he builds something above/below/by the side of his house, or something like that. But I lived in a flat of this kind and had a cat anyway for four months without anybody noticing! 8) Then I moved out.