Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 6:55 pm

Anyone else on here, the only person in their family who is on the spectrum? I know I'm the only person in my entire family to have an asd diagnosis... my younger brother might be on the spectrum (not sure since we don't talk), or might just be a misfit/ juvenile delinquent due to crappy parenting. Is anyone else on here the only person in their entire family to have a diagnosis (whether self or formal)? I think it's really strange for me because I think ASD is genetic, right? So wouldn't someone else have it too? I'd ask my parents if they they think they're on the spectrum but they are both deceased-- however, I think they were both model nt's.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

All my family, stretching back at least 4 generations, are NT

Except me.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 7:07 pm

My grandnephew and his sibling, my grandniece.

But don't go by me, I am only screened.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 8:13 pm

nyxjord wrote:
Is anyone else on here the only person in their entire family to have a diagnosis (whether self or formal)?

As far as I know, yes. (I might not know if one of my cousins had a diagnosis because I don't see all of my extended family very often, but I don't think any of them do.)

Milder traits or related symptoms/issues can be found on both sides of my family, though -- both in my parents and some of my extended family.

nyxjord wrote:
I think it's really strange for me because I think ASD is genetic, right?

I'm not an expert but it doesn't seem that strange to me....

You don't inherit an exact copy of either parents' DNA. Mutations occur naturally during cell division, gametes (sperm and eggs) each contain only a half set of your parents chromosomes, and not all the genes you inherit are actually expressed.

Inheritance of genetic conditions isn't a straightforward thing where if one/both of your parents have it you're guaranteed to have it, too (some genetic conditions do have 100% heritability, but not all of them) -- even when a mutation in just one gene is responsible. With something like autism, which may be caused by many genes (in a single person), I'm guessing that heritability could be very complex.

Love transcends all.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm

I'm not sure. I do know, however, that my maternal grandfather's family has had to deal with mental illness.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2015, 8:46 pm

Yeah, I'm the only one in the fam. Lucky me. Some members including extended family are probably part of the BAP, but yeah nothing significant.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 8:58 pm

I'm the only person in my family diagnosed which hardly bothers me. I don't know of any other aspies in my extended family, but after I got diagnosed my mother wants to believe that my grandfather, who I'm told I am extremely similar to even bearing a slight physical resemblence to him, had it

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 10:18 pm

Same here. There are no other members of my family going back several generations that are on, or even showed signs of being on the spectrum. Not only am I the only autie in the family. I am the only one who was an intellectual and became an engineer. All the other where working class blue collar NT's. I was soo different, that my family even called me a black sheep.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 12:26 am

I'm the only one. There's a possibility that my cousin has mild aspergers. Which might explain why he has always been so good at relating to me. And I kinda suspect my dad might have a bit of aspie too. But I am the only one in my extended family that has it for sure.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 2:07 am

I am the only one diagnosed in my whole entire family. I might have relatives who may have AS such as my deceased grandmother and maybe my deceased great uncle and perhaps my uncle and cousin and aunt and my dad has bad social skills. Sometimes I wish I wasn't the only one because I feel so alone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 3:00 am

I think generations can be skipped. A recessive trait can appear when there's no one else with that trait around. I think the genetics of autism is still not clear but something like that must be happening.

My parents are surely non-autistic but most of my father's siblings seem(ed) autistic. Actually it seems my father is the only non-autistic out of all his siblings but somehow he passed it on to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 3:37 am

Yep, I'm the only Aspie in my family, and it's always got to me. I have a cousin who has mild learning difficulties, but she hasn't got AS. She was always better at making friends at school, and she didn't have any sensory issues or behavioural issues like I had.

And my grandmother is not NT as she has Alzheimer's, but she was born NT and was NT for most of her life, even though she was rather shy.

My brother is NT but has chronic depression, but is not on the spectrum. His depression and mood disorder is probably my fault anyway, as I was so difficult to bring up as a child and I took up all the attention. So that's probably why he hasn't turned out a very well-adjusted adult.

All my dad's side of the family are all mentally stable NTs. Both my parents are NTs. But apparently some distant relatives on my mum's side have mild ASD or ADHD, but I don't really know them. There's no trace of severe Autism though.

I remember when my youngest cousin was born, and I thought ''I wonder if he might turn out on the spectrum? Then I won't be the only one.'' But he's 13 now and shows no sign of ASD.

Shoggothgoat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 3:11 pm

Only one with a diagnosis. Probably an uncle on the spectrum. Also the majority of my familiy would probably fit in the Broader autism phenotype-

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:17 pm

There is a strong possibility my sister is an Aspie herself, but I am the only Aspie in my family with a diagnosis.

BookwormSophie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2015, 4:35 pm

I'm sorry, that must be very hard for you. I have one older cousin with Asperger's. He's not as high-functioning as I am, but I think that's because his parents coddled him too much. Mine forced me into normalcy, which in the end benefited me. I also have a much older cousin who is severely mentally disabled. I have several cousins with ADHD. Like 4+ at least. But honestly it doesn't make much difference. In the end all that mattered was how my parents treated me and how they were able to help me. They never talked to the parents of my cousins with learning disabilities to get advice. There was no support system, but no judgement either. So I don't think it makes much of a difference whether you're the only one or not.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Apr 2015, 1:41 am

No one in my family has many ASD symptoms.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition