What's happened now with volunteering? It's terrible.

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:10 pm

elkclan wrote:
Let's say you write a moderated article for a non-profit, someone still has to read it, edit it and format it for the intended publication (web or paper). It has to suit their purposes. That's very resource intensive, so for them your volunteering might actually use up more than it benefits them. I'm currently seeking volunteers to write stuff for then non-profit I work for, but it's not just any old volunteer, they have to be in a particular experience at a particular place at a particular time. For the very small amount of writing that I need, I will have to spend hours and hours and hours myself as will the rest of my team, reading, sorting and publishing.

If you're doing work that requires deadlines or where your work is necessary for the flow of operations, then they need to know that you can and will do it. That takes trust, verification, etc. And the best proxy measure of what you can do is what you have done.

You don't have to have volunteering experience that exactly matches what you do, you just need to get some volunteering experience to show that you're reliable and trustworthy.

There are plenty of places to do volunteering, it's just that you may need to do some grunt work before you get to do 'nice' work like writing.

Let's take it as truth. But then I can't see the point where is volunteering differ from corporate working instead of being unpaid?
Chance to get new experience? I get various experience in my working field, sometimes very various - so as many people.
Feeling that you are making some greater good? I understand that but being tied with corporate-style regulations in the free time is terrible. That is the point I try to evade somehow.
And doing work I can't do good instead of that I have talents, skills and experience too - that is very incompetent style of management imo. Employees since the beginning of their work should be given enough space to show what they are capable of - I used this principle in every project where I had any fellows under my command, no matter if it's IT development or political campaign. Result was perfect, I always had proactive and loyal team around. So no doubt if I'd ever create nonprofit, I'd adopt this principle there as well.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm

you could volunteer as a writer for the autistic self-advocacy network (ASAN) communications team. the only requirements for membership are that you identify as autistic and you submit some decent writing.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 1:04 pm

*** Voluntary and work strife in U.k

I have non verbal spatial language difficulties, empowered by negative traits, mild ocd, and failure to organise myself properly within any secure environment.
I like to make a visual impact on myself and others but can also be taken advantage of this way.
Body language errors are replaced by cognitive abilities to unnerve my rivals.
I forget things brought on by pervasive anxiety, PTSD and PMS and am not follower enough to fall in line. With anyone.
I've gained some experience in different industries, but my failure to pick things up straight away, lead to uncompromising situations lending a hand in their decision making of me.
What people, employers and a few fail to acknowledge is that we try and we try but end up being recycled just so that others can gain recognition in spite of us. The best people get kept on until they can harbour self sufficient instrustions by looking like they have all the best qualities already.

Slow organisational traits don't equal bad personalities, but autistic traits can prevent an honest outlook that we represent to our peers and ourselves. I, however, am aware of the situation as it stands and won't be used or manufactured by anyone in any way.
Principles are failing people, not people failing principles.
I've been to school and college and accpted myself into the work and voluntary outlets, and the emphasis is based on a technical evaluation of the work we deliver and not the terms they represent.
The voluntary sector is failing due to a high demand and growth for skills in chosen academic(polished) sectors.
I would mind not being valued and would hate not being given at least some appraisal or voluntary pay contribution to what I did.
I 've worked in housekeeping for a charity that payed some of their staff to do work that was never finished properly. I never took my eye off the ball for a split second.
Besides being courteous I could then decide whether or not I should wipe the floor with them. The latter made no difference, oap electricians got the better treatment. They used to come in on the day I worked there just so they could get a clean cup of coffee and because it would stay clean until i finished.

Those who turn a blind eye to events are usually shadowed by their own blind exteriors.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

If you like dogs or cats try the HSUS, SPCA, or some other animal shelter/rescue for volunteer work. It's easy to get into and very rewarding.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

Pet shelters and Humane Societies...my area..

For

Get

It.

You need a criminal back ground check, finger prints and if you work with the public (children around), you need to have your name ran through the sex offender list. That before they even look at your resume.

You can also not belong to any rescue organization.

Okay, you spent about $100 for the resume stuff, have fun competing with every Scout working towards his Eagle Scout badge, every college biology major gunning for vet school, and vet techs trying to gain some experience.

You have a better chance scoring a job at the local car wash here, than a gig volunteering at the ASPCA.

What makes it hard, is the school districts require community service as a credit to graduate. So all those "easy jobs" are filled to the brim by high school students. Scut work is done by the 16-18 crowd.

Meals on Wheels is full, and only looking for subs, and the local food panties have enough help. My friend said many social work students work those jobs for experience.

The only easy volunteering gigs are faith based ones, and you almost need to belong to that church/temple/mosque.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 4:50 pm

In England the prophecy of finding voluntary/paid employment is based on three years continuous work to be with an agency and even then they don't have the support to keep you in the job, their clientele has to negotiate feedback through them which you know nothing about. Secondly, any house sitting or general cleaning roles have to be advertised through a secure site to guarantee your experience so being 'neighbourly' doesn't count.
I went on a site and tried to locate contact details which weren't available to me unless you pay a fee to the site.
I don't let sites keep my bank details, in case some pretend negligence or bank scam takes shape. (In the case they were non profit and the owners don't have to pay you. ) They also save the whole f*****g conversation. :x

The pay by workscheme doesn't exist unless you pay your custom and revenue tax and then you are earning virtually nothing. I may look like i can't be bothered to walk 2 miles here and back to the nearest village every day to feed some cat but thats my physical health i'm putting at risk.(Along a fast and busy road to avoid trench mud). Cycling is fine, if its in the Summer.
The buses are agonising and difficult and they are changing routes again come Spring because of some big land development scheme which will take a marathon to complete.
The biggest challenge is securing references, character or otherwise, cos you could get problems either way if you are deemed untrustworthy. I have to say that belonging to some big European court of law has made conscription even harder for long term residents.
I'm not a migrant, thus I have less biological and human rights, they may have no experience and they keep those jobs. Do they want an english speaking citizen or not? No one has to fund my language skills for me, and like i say, you can sacrifice some things, but not your own territory.

It always makes me laugh when i see Go Self Employed, pay your own taxes. Yeah right, with what?
Near me Gurkas get migrant and war veteran benefits. No one can discriminate migrants.
People are becoming too scared of this s**t.
In, out referendum. I'd vote Leave. Oh and put a four year ban on them too. Just to curb public expenses.

The law isn't working too well for people, so time someone imposed a few new housing restrictions.
If no one takes stock of what this country is coming to, before long its us who will be kicked out.
Although out of the E.U is fine by me. George Osbourne and the torries can eat s**t if Brussels don't land them a deal. Say goodbye to your posh aristrocrats and unis because the country is going to starve of air before we bring Britains industries back. :|

End of voluntary U.k rant ***

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Pet shelters and Humane Societies...my area..

For

Get

It.

You need a criminal back ground check, finger prints and if you work with the public (children around), you need to have your name ran through the sex offender list. That before they even look at your resume.

You can also not belong to any rescue organization.

Okay, you spent about $100 for the resume stuff, have fun competing with every Scout working towards his Eagle Scout badge, every college biology major gunning for vet school, and vet techs trying to gain some experience.

You have a better chance scoring a job at the local car wash here, than a gig volunteering at the ASPCA.

What makes it hard, is the school districts require community service as a credit to graduate. So all those "easy jobs" are filled to the brim by high school students. Scut work is done by the 16-18 crowd.

Meals on Wheels is full, and only looking for subs, and the local food panties have enough help. My friend said many social work students work those jobs for experience.

The only easy volunteering gigs are faith based ones, and you almost need to belong to that church/temple/mosque.

To be honest I can’t speak for any animal rescue other than Humane Society of the US where I am a volunteer. I’m only assuming that HSUS volunteer recruitment is standard across the US.

I did have to fill out an application and a liability release but neither were very extensive or invasive nor was there any further selection process

There was a mandatory orientation followed by dog and cat handling classes for those like myself interested in working with animals. The dog handling class was more time consuming and more hands-on but with everything it only lasted half. That’s all it took. There were probably nearly 30 new volunteers just on that day and they do orientation one Saturday of each month.

They also have an advanced dog handler class but that just gave that to me since I had proven over and over that could handle any dog they threw at me and was so dedicated to them.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 6:54 pm

The only reason I know this about the animal shelter is my nephew brought the paper work home. I almost fell of the couch reading it. It was the equivalent of a job resume, and everyone went through 2 interviews. First one was to screen out the *nope, not even close*, the next one was a more in depth one.

There were questions like *what do you expect to gain from your experience volunteering here?*..and *what skill sets are your bringing to the shelter?* I'm guess writing you want to work with animals is not going to cut it.

Anyway, you have to be 18 to volunteer at the shelter in my area. So he was bummed.

As for dog/cat handling..almost everyone at my shelter has some sort of professional animal background going in. My vet volunteers her time mucking out cages etc, and once a month the whole clinic shows up to help. There are groomers and trainers who help out.

When you have a huge group of professionals to pick from, you can get really choosey.

Get this, to volunteer at my daughter's school, you need to pass a criminal back ground check. I've also been finger printed for my work, and the sex offender list check. It wasn't an issue for me. It is a huge issue for people who have got a record for DUIs, check bounces, petty theft, drug possession. They can never volunteer or go on field trips with their kids classes. No exceptions.

We've had a few scandals where kids have been molested by volunteers. So now you basically have to go through the same background checks teachers do to get a volunteer gig if there is any chance children will be around.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm

One of the problems that volunteer organizations have come up against is that some people volunteer solely to have the opportunity to exploit or harm those that they were allegedly "volunteering" to protect.

How often have you heard about someone who volunteered at a day-care center or nursing facility molesting or assaulting children, invalids, or the elderly? How many times have you heard about someone who volunteered at an animal shelter abusing or neglecting the animals there?

Sadly, being a volunteer seems to put you under at least as much intense scrutiny as degreed professionals being hired for the first time.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:43 pm

Well, as I often do, I'll play the devil's advocate here.

It is often unappreciated that it takes quite a lot of work to recruit and supervise suitable volunteers. You certainly don't want volunteer staff that, far from enhancing the organization, actually diminish it. And with a volunteer who doesn't have adequate preparation or a suitable personality, that very easily could happen.

Yes, they ask you for all these qualifications and references on their application. I suggest that you submit an application that you have completed as well as you could, and see if you are accepted or rejected. If rejected, ask why.

I think most soup kitchens or food pantries accept energetic employees without too many other qualities. Do that for six months and voila, you now have a reference. However, if you can't remain with an organization for six months, why should another organization invest the time to train and supervise you?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:52 pm

Alright, sometimes the criminal background check is necessary. The high road is probably for the agency to pay half the fee and the volunteer to pay half.

And they don't need to exclude someone for writing bad checks. And unless the job involves driving, they probably shouldn't exclude someone for DUI either.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:36 pm

One way to do a volunteer organization, although certainly not the only way, is how Henry Spira engaged in advocacy for animal rights.

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/15/busin ... sader.html

Mr. Spira was coordinator of Animal Rights International, which, despite its sweeping name, rarely consisted of more than Mr. Spira himself and a part-time aide. He operated out of his West Side apartment, which was filled with files and office equipment, a climbing tree for the succession of cats he owned and tired furniture.

Mr. Spira was a careful assembler of facts, a cynical humorist, a devoted practitioner of thank-you notes and, above all, disarming in his dealings with both friends and adversaries. Though willing to put on a coat and tie if necessary to meet with business executives, he was never able to look comfortable in them. Perhaps it was his insistence on wearing sneakers. He drew a salary of $15,000 from A.R.I., plus a few thousand dollars annually in expenses, and never wavered in his scorn for bureaucracies, including those of some of his allies.

But Mr. Spira was a master at building coalitions that melded the talents and resources of far wealthier organizations, like the Humane Society of the United States or Johns Hopkins, with scientists, advertising professionals and others who could contribute to his various campaigns.

One thing which I'm not sure the New York Times gets is how loosey-goosey Henry's organization was. For example, he recruited fellow activists to peacefully picket at a New York museum which did scientific experiments on cats. Some Saturdays, they had a lot of people picketing. Other Saturdays, only a few. And he realized visitors were often coming to the museum from quite a distance and often with their children. So, instead of just not going. He recommended that they put in a penny in the clear plastic voluntary donation box as a form of protest. The museum then changed their admission policy. Which is part of the sparring involved in activism.

The museum received and used tax dollars for this experimentation on cats, which is one reason Henry selected this as a winnable issue. But even with skillful activism, still took a couple of years.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 6:40 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

Yes, they ask you for all these qualifications and references on their application. I suggest that you submit an application that you have completed as well as you could, and see if you are accepted or rejected. If rejected, ask why.

I think most soup kitchens or food pantries accept energetic employees without too many other qualities. Do that for six months and voila, you now have a reference. However, if you can't remain with an organization for six months, why should another organization invest the time to train and supervise you?

I didn't get asked for qualifications or experience, they just wanted the lions share of the work done and for volunteers to put in their work. I put in seven months but migrant appeal always gets favoured.
I'm not sure why, but alot of people don't want to get their hands dirty cleaning up after people who leave things in a mess, I mean why should they? when they're sitting in an office running the books on people and looking whose wages need cutting first?
You can't have a soup kitchen without soup and you can't run a homeless shelter without the people who sleep rough out on the streets in the first place.
Having a sympathetic nature is key and so is listening to prevent more being out on the streets.
I asked for a reference and a place, I don't think your normal everyday office types are morally the right ones to ask.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 7:25 pm

Maybe those people who get paid to the work are just looking for someone else who is qualified enough to do their work for them without getting paid. That way, the work gets done, and the person who gets paid to do the work gets all of the credit while doing absolutely nothing!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

Empathy wrote:

I didn't get asked for qualifications or experience, they just wanted the lions share of the work done and for volunteers to put in their work. I put in seven months but migrant appeal always gets favoured.
I'm not sure why, but alot of people don't want to get their hands dirty cleaning up after people who leave things in a mess, I mean why should they? when they're sitting in an office running the books on people and looking whose wages need cutting first?
You can't have a soup kitchen without soup and you can't run a homeless shelter without the people who sleep rough out on the streets in the first place.
Having a sympathetic nature is key and so is listening to prevent more being out on the streets.
I asked for a reference and a place, I don't think your normal everyday office types are morally the right ones to ask.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 8:31 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Well, as I often do, I'll play the devil's advocate here.
I think most soup kitchens or food pantries accept energetic employees without too many other qualities. Do that for six months and voila, you now have a reference. However, if you can't remain with an organization for six months, why should another organization invest the time to train and supervise you? :(

Advocating yourself is fine as long as its not over someone else.
People here are obliged to tell of their experiences and what you're saying sounded
thoroughly biased, bland and perfunctory.

Although non-regulatory pay is not statutory, it should be. As long as 'office staff' want to keep on good volunteers, then they should consider employing them or offer them a work trial basis.
Volunteers are often seen putting in more hours than normal paid workers.
It's not a game of cat and mouse, and people aren't like pampered pets.
We don't feed off the scraps every time a job gets well done.

Whats changing soon, will be government sponsor deals being cut back to fund food shelters. Which is a revelation.

The law in each country should change, it would be like a renewal trial period which is not happening at the moment due to negative feedback.
Or lose out on an abundance of great people enriching their own life goals as well as improve company practice.
I'm also interested in hearing contributions from ordinary folk as they're no stranger to their own pain and rituals.