They have proved that ASD is NOT - repeat NOT genetic.

Page 5 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2015, 1:42 am

What people understand by "it is genetic", is - at least most of the time - not " the outcome is exactly determined by the genes" (what the original poster seems to understand by it), but that there is a stronger or very strong genetic factor. Robert Plomin explains that quite well in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCkylLAxK0, from min 10:00 on. He also refers to autism and twin studies, and for him a 60% correlation with identical twins compared to a 5% correlation with non-identical twins makes autism "one of the most heritable disorders".

From my understanding of genetics, and my life experience, I agree with him.

Lorna Wing who had first said that in 50% of the cases, genetics play a role and in 50% it is something else, later corrected herself and said that genetics play a bigger role than she first had thought. I would say that this development of thinking is quite representative for many people.

That said, I think that stress, in particular of mothers, but also in the families, and stress in the society plays a big role on the genetics of autism, and also on how a person on the spectrum develops.

That said, I still want to add that I consider neurodiversity to be constituent for humankind, and for any a little bit more complex society (also of animals).

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 2:54 am

Actually more and most experts are agreeing that both environmental and genetic factors, play about an equal role. The truth is their are likely hundreds of different factors that cause autism. That it isn't a single thing, but a group of conditions that have similar traits.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 3:48 am

I have also seen studies that extreme low functioning autism is nearly all genetics, while more high functioning autism, is likely more environmental.