They have proved that ASD is NOT - repeat NOT genetic.

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 9:31 pm

What I believe and I am no scientist :-) It is only my observation based on my family and others.

Part of autism IS genetics. This means that you have a weaker immune system and are wired differently because of it.
I ALSO believe that just because you have these genes, does NOT mean that you will have FULL BLOWN or low functioning autism. That aspect of it will also depend upon your environment. What is the environment? Many things. How you were raised. There is no doubt in most families a difference in how parents treat each child. In addition, there are vaccines, diet, toxic chemicals, pollution, etc. that can create havoc in the autistic's body because of the weaker immune system. Depending on WHEN you are hit with these environmental factors and to what degree you are exposed to them, your system goes into overdrive (similar to those who are allergic to shellfish and the system goes haywire although it should not). Depending on ALL of those things, your autistic symptoms will be greater or lesser…and then, you get diagnosed. If you meet X amount of symptoms, you get diagnosed on the spectrum…if you meet Y amount of systems, you do NOT get diagnosed on the spectrum.

PS I DO believe that diet helps SOME people with autism, if THAT is what caused their system to be overloaded and what started their symptoms to be more noticeable or less accepted in the NT world…but if that was not related, diet might not help. Same applies for stress and other environmental factors.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2015, 8:05 am

There could be multiple causes of autism. And most causes of Aspergers and what you call "HFA" are not genetic. The autistic that have genetic abnormalities that are linked to or have as their primary condition like Down's Syndrome, TSC, Fragile X,and Angelman are the ones on what you call "LFA".
Believe it or not this might aggravate you. But my Autism is really caused by a vaccine. But, I was not totally born healthy to begin with. I was born with a delicate stomach and used to have vomited when I ate the wrong food. So MMR vaccines do not cause Autism in healthy toddlers and infants but for those who had a delicate stomach, like me, it was different.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 8:22 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
How is it not genetic? It clearly runs in my family because my dad has it, my grandmother on his side has traits of it, and I'm pretty certain my grandfather on my mom's side has some traits as well.

Some of my mom's side of the family also have traits of autism, especially their adherence to routine.

I also wonder if I also got it from having trauma in the womb. My biological father tried to hit my mom with his truck when she was pregnant with me.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2015, 11:56 am

There may actually be many causes of autism, so there is no single BIOLOGICAL cause like Lafora disease or Cystic Fibrosis. One case of autism might be caused by genes another might be caused by MMR in a leaky gut syndrome child. So different cases of autism have different cause. ALS (Stephen Hawking disease) can also have different causes for different cases. ALS can be caused either by genetics or by a serious trauama, which is why many war veterans get ALS from that particular cause.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 12:02 pm

GoldTails95 wrote:
There may actually be many causes of autism, so there is no single BIOLOGICAL cause like Lafora disease or Cystic Fibrosis. One case of autism might be caused by genes another might be caused by MMR in a leaky gut syndrome child. So different cases of autism have different cause. ALS (Stephen Hawking disease) can also have different causes for different cases. ALS can be caused either by genetics or by a serious trauma, which is why many war veterans get ALS from that particular cause.

Well written.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 12:12 pm

GoldTails95 wrote:
There could be multiple causes of autism. And most causes of Aspergers and what you call "HFA" are not genetic. The autistic that have genetic abnormalities that are linked to or have as their primary condition like Down's Syndrome, TSC, Fragile X,and Angelman are the ones on what you call "LFA".

This is false, especially concerning my family. No one has LFA, and it is most definitely genetic.
We do not know enough to make absolute statements like "___ is not genetic."

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 12:34 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
This is false, especially concerning my family. No one has LFA, and it is most definitely genetic.

Then, we also don't know enough to make absolute statements like "This is false" and "...it is most definitely genetic." The best that could be said is that the matter isn't certain.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 1:09 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:

Then, we also don't know enough to make absolute statements like "This is false" and "...it is most definitely genetic." The best that could be said is that the matter isn't certain.

As in my family, and other families in which it runs, is not on the spectrum? :?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 1:26 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:

As in my family, and other families in which it runs, is not on the spectrum? :?

Well it runs in my family and we do have a few with lower functioning forms of autism. Like some of my cousins just didn't cry at all as babies. I don't know of anyone with severe - but they are mainly mid functioning. But if there are no low functioning people I don't think that does rule out that it's inherited. If there's a lot of autistic people in a family it does suggest genetics plays a part.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 1:28 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:

My statement was one of semantics. I do believe that ASD is genetic based, but I also believe that there is more than one road to get to ASD. As has been written here, various other diseases and disorders can be induced or mimicked by certain drugs to the point that diagnosticians have difficulty determining the difference. But, if we can't explore the idea that ASD is also affected by various causes, including genetic, we are likely to continue missing the mark.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 1:42 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:

My statement was one of semantics. I do believe that ASD is genetic based, but I also believe that there is more than one road to get to ASD. As has been written here, various other diseases and disorders can be induced or mimicked by certain drugs to the point that diagnosticians have difficulty determining the difference. But, if we can't explore the idea that ASD is also affected by various causes, including genetic, we are likely to continue missing the mark.

I didn't mean to insinuate that it's only genetic, I'm sorry. I meant that for my family it is definitely genetic. Considering the range on the spectrum, there could be a thousand to a million different reasons for each individual, such as those whose families do not have any sign of autism aside from one person.

There actually is reference to someone in my family tree we believe may have been LF, but being in the 1800's, they kept her locked away. She was nonverbal and thought to be deaf, but the information on her is very small. She's the only possible LF, I believe.
Some in my family are lower functioning than others (concerning blending in with society) and I doubt they could ever live on their own, and we do have delays, such as in speech (one of my uncles didn't start talking until he was 3, and my 2.5 yr old speaks in barely intelligible one word sentiments) though non have been nonverbal (recently).

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
I didn't mean to insinuate that it's only genetic, I'm sorry. I meant that for my family it is definitely genetic. Considering the range on the spectrum, there could be a thousand to a million different reasons for each individual, such as those whose families do not have any sign of autism aside from one person....

I agree that it appears mostly genetic (that is what I am betting on, anyway :) . It must be, otherwise, the whole BAP idea wouldn't be so intriguing to many.

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2015, 1:42 am

What people understand by "it is genetic", is - at least most of the time - not " the outcome is exactly determined by the genes" (what the original poster seems to understand by it), but that there is a stronger or very strong genetic factor. Robert Plomin explains that quite well in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCkylLAxK0, from min 10:00 on. He also refers to autism and twin studies, and for him a 60% correlation with identical twins compared to a 5% correlation with non-identical twins makes autism "one of the most heritable disorders".

From my understanding of genetics, and my life experience, I agree with him.

Lorna Wing who had first said that in 50% of the cases, genetics play a role and in 50% it is something else, later corrected herself and said that genetics play a bigger role than she first had thought. I would say that this development of thinking is quite representative for many people.

That said, I think that stress, in particular of mothers, but also in the families, and stress in the society plays a big role on the genetics of autism, and also on how a person on the spectrum develops.

That said, I still want to add that I consider neurodiversity to be constituent for humankind, and for any a little bit more complex society (also of animals).

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 2:54 am

Actually more and most experts are agreeing that both environmental and genetic factors, play about an equal role. The truth is their are likely hundreds of different factors that cause autism. That it isn't a single thing, but a group of conditions that have similar traits.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 3:48 am

I have also seen studies that extreme low functioning autism is nearly all genetics, while more high functioning autism, is likely more environmental.