They have proved that ASD is NOT - repeat NOT genetic.

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 9:25 am

B19 wrote:

So true.

I made a similar comment in a recent thread in another forum:

Quote:
It makes no sense to contemplate environmental factors outside of a genetic context. It makes no sense to contemplate genetic factors outside of an environmental context. It makes no sense to contemplate epigenetic mechanisms outside of both genetic and environmental factors.

To say that any one of these things is "the cause' without acknowledging the role of the others is a mistake.

If you look at the Harvard School of Public Health study showing that maternal exposure to particulate emissions in the third trimester closely correlate with increased autism rates, the effect seems to double the (still low) probability of autism in the child.

But they don't examine mechanisms or the genomes of the studied population. Would the rates be the same for all genotypes? Might additional study show that different genotypes respond differently to the same maternal environmental stresses? This seems highly likely but isn't known. Maybe for some genotypes, the probability of autism goes up 800% under these conditions and for others there is no effect. This won't be known until the work is done to get the data.

It's OK, perhaps even ethically correct, to acknowledge the limitations of current understanding.

http://www.nature.com/news/epigenome-th ... ls-1.16955

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/ ... ics/intro/

There is some interesting research announced recently that suggests that biological information may be carried in centrioles. If this is borne out, it will be another complicating factor in the interplay of genes and environment.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 085630.htm

What's clear is that:
genes operate in environments
environments can change the way genetic information is translated to proteins
inflammatory processes can impact the development of the ion gates that regulate signalling in the nervous systems.
our internal microbiomes, particularly the gut microbiome, can have profound neurological effects (e.g. Serotonin production)

None of these systems are simple, the interactions between these systems are not simple and so it seems very unlikely that simplistic explanations of how those interactions produce effects (e.g., it's all genetic, it's all the gut microbiome, it's all environment, etc.) are going to be correct or helpful.

M. Davis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2015, 2:37 pm

Adamantium wrote:

None of these systems are simple, the interactions between these systems are not simple and so it seems very unlikely that simplistic explanations of how those interactions produce effects (e.g., it's all genetic, it's all the gut microbiome, it's all environment, etc.) are going to be correct or helpful.

Oh but looking at ASD as a programming path/choice has proved a useful approach.
In the one experiment on the one subject - the subject no longer has any of the clinical measures of their former Asperger syndrome.
It seems that sometimes the simple is the answer.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 3:10 pm

M. Davis wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

Oh but looking at ASD as a programming path/choice has proved a useful approach.
In the one experiment on the one subject - the subject no longer has any of the clinical measures of their former Asperger syndrome.
It seems that sometimes the simple is the answer.

In every case that I have seen discussed where someone who was once diagnosed with an ASD now has subclinical symptoms, they still have symptoms. They are just re-categorized from ASD to the broader autistic phenotype. It's fine for you to use whatever models you find helpful, but simply wrong to say "it's not genetic" when many studies have shown a strong genetic component.

Edited to add an example:
http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cont ... 20150426-2

M. Davis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2015, 3:25 pm

Adamantium wrote:

In every case that I have seen discussed where someone who was once diagnosed with an ASD now has subclinical symptoms, they still have symptoms. They are just re-categorized from ASD to the broader autistic phenotype. It's fine for you to use whatever models you find helpful, but simply wrong to say "it's not genetic" when many studies have shown a strong genetic component.

Edited to add an example:
http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cont ... 20150426-2

Aye - and it is true enough.
As per the theory proposed - if you remove the "ASD" aspect - you retain the original genetic problem. You move from ASD to whatever underlying problem which caused the choice/pathway.

I had already mentioned that.
The opposite of ASD is NOT NT.

It does not remove the fact that when you have a new theory - and the new theory allows intervention - and intervention is tried and it succeeds - that the answer to ASD might be in said theory.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 5:49 pm

May I ask are you on the spectrum yourself M Davis? And if so what do you believe was causal of your spectrum status? If not, what led to your interest in the determinants of ASD? I appreciate that we can be interested in things simply because they are interesting issues, though often there are personal layers to those interests too, and I am wondering how this applies to you, should you care to share that..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 6:03 pm

It has been hypothesized that there are so many causes of autism that it was even proposed that "autism" encompasses a group of "autisms."

It has been pretty well proven in twin studies that autism has a genetic origin in the broad sense (not the Mendelian sense). It is not inevitable that two autistic people will produce autistic offspring--but it much more likely to occur than what happens between two NT people.

There are also documented epigenetic causes, and environmental causes.

I don't believe a single "cause" or "gene," or whatever for autism will ever be discovered.

My ASD is idiopathic; there are others who have many family members who share the same general diagnosis.

M. Davis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2015, 6:40 pm

Where am I on the spectrum? No idea now.

I used to be Asperger's with hypersensitivity to sound - and mild hypersensitivity to movement.

I remain aspie - by choice and design. Without the enforced tunnel vision - without the hypersensitivity to sound - and still with very mild hypersensitivity to sight.
Apparently my neighbour - a psych nurse - says I no longer manifest compulsive behaviours but as I was not aware of them - I cannot say.

I have no plans to stop being aspie - except in social settings. It was a hard won skill and very useful. The only difference is that it is now under conscious control - not forced upon me.

It is not possible? Tell me about it.
If you have the right model - that which is impossible (and everyone will tell you it is impossible - even to your face) is what you live. I live many "impossibles."

Do you think I would make such a fuss if it was only conjecture?
ASD is not what you thought it was - and very probably not what I think it is now.

All I have is a theory and the fact that it works.
And trying to work out what has happened after the event ... always reinterpreting it. I am now on version 7 - and I have no reason to think that my current version is correct.

As for genetics - I can trace mine to both sides of the family tree over several generations. But the condition is not the genetics - the genetics just "set me up" for the condition.

ASD is a response to the genetics, not the genetics.

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2015, 6:55 pm

M. Davis wrote:
And trying to work out what has happened after the event ... always reinterpreting it. I am now on version 7 - and I have no reason to think that my current version is correct.

I'm glad to hear that your tunnel vision and compulsive thinking are less now! I can't imagine how many more versions of your grand plan there would be if you were still deep in your autistic traits. :wink:

But seriously, I am glad you feel like you aren't as bothered by ASD. As we all know, this is more than just a gift, it can bring a lot of painful symptoms.

M. Davis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2015, 7:19 pm

On a personal level - the only advantage I can find (internal) to getting out of Aspie mode was that I could actually talk to my father. He is Aspie also.
This allowed me to bridge the gap.
Getting out of the HYPER (which is not aspie but is quite common) had a more positive effect on my life - again from the internal direction.

The skills which developed naturally (just like a baby but many years delayed) are ... interesting. I have just acquired the ability to tell stories - which I could never do before.
But the extra skills do not seem to have much impact on my life.

Being able to communicate with words is useful.
But on the whole - I do not feel any different from acquiring them.
I have not changed my personality - I am still as perverse and crotchety as ever.

Nothing is what I expected.
Choosing aspie mode as a conscious choice is NOT what others tell me I ought to desire. They want to cure me.
How can they cure me when nothing is wrong?

Sigh - why can't the world live up to my dreams?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm

A brief article regarding DNA/genes and expression/non-expression et al:

Epigenetics

“Learning itself consists of nothing more than switching genes on and off.”

Matt Ridley

Out of our 30,000 genes, only two percent of DNA codes for proteins. Until very recently, much of our DNA was considered to be what researchers call junk DNA. These genes were considered to be the byproduct of millions of years of evolution – genes were still inherited but were no longer used. Recently, however, scientists have discovered that some of this junk DNA actually switches on RNA that interacts with other genes.

The field of research of these phenomena is epigenetics. Epigenetics is the science of turning genes on- and-off with nutrients and other chemicals, resulting in changes of expression of those genes. The process of suppressing and enhancing genes is called methylation, a chemical process that, among other things, aids in the transcription of DNA to RNA and is believed to defend the genome against parasitic genetic elements called transposons.

Transposons are spans of DNA that – through a process called transposition – can actually move to different positions within the genome of a cell.

Transposition was first observed by researcher Barbara McClintock; this discovery earned her a Nobel Prize in 1983. As a result of her work, geneticists now know that this process can be activated by changes in diet, drugs, and exposure to toxins, and can permanently change a person’s DNA.

More fascinating is the finding that these mutations may be inherited by children. Environmental toxins have been shown to alter the activity of genes through at least four generations after exposure. For example, women who smoke while pregnant double the risk of asthma in their grandchildren.

For this reason, no two brains are alike, including those of identical twins. It is thought that about 40 percent of our genes can be modified epigenetically. Although identical twins share the same DNA, their epigenetic material can be different. Moreover, the older the twins become, the more discrepancies will occur in their DNA. Fifty-year-old twins have four times as many differentially expressed genes than three-year-old twins.

Even more interesting is the discovery that genes are regulated by maternal care. Thus far, at least nine hundred genes can be altered by maternal care. For example, the presence of a variation in the monoamine oxidase A gene (MAO-A) combined with maltreatment predicts antisocial behavior.

In mid-2009, researcher Moshe Szyf at McGill University reported that commonly-used pharmaceutical drugs can cause such persistent epigenetic changes. Szyf and his co-author Antonei Csoka posit that drug-induced diseases, such as tardive dyskinesia and drug-induced lupus, are epigenetic in nature. (More about Lupus below.) They also propose that epigenetic changes from pharmaceuticals may be involved in heart disease, obesity, diabetes, infertility and sexual dysfunctions, as well as neurological and cognitive disorders.

Smoking can cause changes in gene function. As stated earlier, there is compelling evidence that prenatal smoking increases the incidence and severity of ADHD. The risk of a severe type of ADHD greatly increases in children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy and who also have variants of one or two genes associated with ADHD – one on chromosome 11 and the second on chromosome 5. Interestingly, even children of mothers who smoked during pregnancy who didn't fit all of the criteria for ADHD had more symptoms of the disorder. This was true if they had been exposed to cigarette use in utero or had genetic variations related to risk.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 3:28 pm

This baffles me.

When med students lack empathy, it's assumed to be burnout, and not an innate defect: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/he ... 38083.html

People who are isolated often develop striking neuroses: http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2015 ... onfinement

Early isolation measurably disrupts brain development: http://scienceline.org/2014/06/how-negl ... the-brain/

Lower hemispherical interconnectivity is assumed to be environmental and not genetic when it's a gender difference: http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... -two-sexes

There's also low homogeneity on the spectrum:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/01/ ... idualized/

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/he ... 65331.html

Saying that it was genetic always seemed like premature closure to me.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jun 2015, 9:34 pm

Dr. Mark Hyman made his hypothesis on autism
http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/12/09/brea ... of-autism/

Researchers are still on the hunt to find the gene that causes autism but haven't yet; you can go from generation down and not find a single relative who has speech delay or anything but also find other families who do. I know one guy who's a little slow but his brother is autistic and if the parents had yet another kid that child would likely be even more autistic.

Maybe it really is nature's way of stopping overpopulation I'm not sure. I would think nature would a little nicer and sterilize people instead.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2015, 9:43 am

I am a twin.

I already told y'all in January of 2014 what causes ASD (intestinal dysbiosis) and how to effectively treat it via diet, cleanses, supplements, & most importantly: probiotics.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2015, 12:10 pm

There are other things that are genetic that twins don't always share, and that doesn't make those things suddenly not genetic.

My family is all over the spectrum, some higher functioning that others, but all definitely "weird." And we can trace this back to the 1800's. So even if it's not genetic for some people, it's definitely genetic for us, therefore the statement "ASD is not genetic" is inherently false. It would be better to say "ASD may not always be genetic."
And 77% is pretty high.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

More likely it is a complex combination of genetic, congenital, environmental, etc factors that all raise or lower the risk for developing autism.

But hey, maybe it's just an on/off switch?