Disdain for alcohol and drugs = sign of Austism

Page 5 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 7:20 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Things like percoset and vicodin ought to probably have somewhat heavier regulation as well...though it seems unwise the amounts of acetaminophen they put in Vicodin, there had got to be a better way to discourage abuse of it than making the desperate addict or someone in ongoing chronic pay with their liver which that can damage in large doses or over time. And wouldn't opiates in general run the risk of liver damage over time anyways, so why add another drug that does that?

Yeah I agree that Vicodin should not have acetaminophen in them. Vicodin is pretty popular to get high on- and acetaminophen adds unnecessary danger. Some people cannot help gettin addicted to pain killers- so this should be considered part of the risk of the medication. Adding acetaminophen only increases the health risk. I don't think pain killers should be more heavily regulated. Chronic pain is already under-treated due to doctors seeing these patients as addicts. Most pain relievers are already heavily regulated and cannot be more so without making it unreasonably difficult for actual patients to get the meds.

I know Suboxone prevents someone from getting high by injecting or snorting it. Suboxone includes naloxone-which works as an "anti-opiate". Naloxone blocks the effect of opiates almost completely by binding as an antagonist the receptor that they act on-preventing their activation. Naloxone cannot be absorbed in the GI tract so has no effect if swallowed- but completely eliminates any high and causes immediate withdrawl symptoms to an addict if injected. Maybe something like this could be incorporated into other pain killers- but it may hurt the brands already in existence if companies were forced to make new brands with naloxone. Of course it wouldn't prevent someone from getting high by taking the pills orally.

To answer the thread- I think some with Asperger's do have some sort of legalistic "disdain" for alcohol or drugs. But its far from being all aspies - maybe not even most. Some aspies have an obsessive and strict following of "rules/laws" and social naivety that may lead to them being complete teetotalers. I think both social naivety and desire for strict adherence to rules is a sign of autism, but not something that most autistics will have.

I meant opiate pain-killers should be regulated more heavily than marijuana...not that they should be regulated even more heavily than the already are. From what I understand it is already presenting a problem to people with chronic pain who are not helped by an alternative medication or medical marijuana, making it hard for them to get the pain killers they need at a dosage that actually helps.

Also I do not think they should incorporate something like that into pain-killers necessarily....I mean might deter certain methods of use, for some people. But then there are situations where hospital patients may need opiate pain killers in IV form isn't there? So IDK might just be something that would in the end be more trouble than it is worth.

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

05 May 2015, 3:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
GoofyGreatDane wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Things like percoset and vicodin ought to probably have somewhat heavier regulation as well...though it seems unwise the amounts of acetaminophen they put in Vicodin, there had got to be a better way to discourage abuse of it than making the desperate addict or someone in ongoing chronic pay with their liver which that can damage in large doses or over time. And wouldn't opiates in general run the risk of liver damage over time anyways, so why add another drug that does that?

Yeah I agree that Vicodin should not have acetaminophen in them. Vicodin is pretty popular to get high on- and acetaminophen adds unnecessary danger. Some people cannot help gettin addicted to pain killers- so this should be considered part of the risk of the medication. Adding acetaminophen only increases the health risk. I don't think pain killers should be more heavily regulated. Chronic pain is already under-treated due to doctors seeing these patients as addicts. Most pain relievers are already heavily regulated and cannot be more so without making it unreasonably difficult for actual patients to get the meds.

I know Suboxone prevents someone from getting high by injecting or snorting it. Suboxone includes naloxone-which works as an "anti-opiate". Naloxone blocks the effect of opiates almost completely by binding as an antagonist the receptor that they act on-preventing their activation. Naloxone cannot be absorbed in the GI tract so has no effect if swallowed- but completely eliminates any high and causes immediate withdrawl symptoms to an addict if injected. Maybe something like this could be incorporated into other pain killers- but it may hurt the brands already in existence if companies were forced to make new brands with naloxone. Of course it wouldn't prevent someone from getting high by taking the pills orally.

To answer the thread- I think some with Asperger's do have some sort of legalistic "disdain" for alcohol or drugs. But its far from being all aspies - maybe not even most. Some aspies have an obsessive and strict following of "rules/laws" and social naivety that may lead to them being complete teetotalers. I think both social naivety and desire for strict adherence to rules is a sign of autism, but not something that most autistics will have.

I meant opiate pain-killers should be regulated more heavily than marijuana...not that they should be regulated even more heavily than the already are. From what I understand it is already presenting a problem to people with chronic pain who are not helped by an alternative medication or medical marijuana, making it hard for them to get the pain killers they need at a dosage that actually helps.

Also I do not think they should incorporate something like that into pain-killers necessarily....I mean might deter certain methods of use, for some people. But then there are situations where hospital patients may need opiate pain killers in IV form isn't there? So IDK might just be something that would in the end be more trouble than it is worth.

Marijuana should be legal - and not just for people with pain. It should be legal for everyone.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 8:20 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:

Marijuana should be legal - and not just for people with pain. It should be legal for everyone.

Indeed it should.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 8:28 pm

Sting wrote:
alex wrote:
I've noticed that many people on wrong planet do drink alcohol. Although, our difficulty putting ourselves in other peoples shows could result in those of us who don't drink being more vocally opposed to it and vice versa.

It's more so the people getting drunk that I have a problem. It seems so counter productive, dangerous, and childish to me. Hard drugs and "psychedelics" also seem stupid to me. The risk, legal, physical and mental all seem sky high, the reward appears non-existent and my few experiences around people on drugs have ranged from annoying to infuriating. It's something I think only exist because of societal pressures and the "cool" and "rebel" image it is sometimes tied to. Also, I find the notion of drugs "expanding" the mind to be laughable.

Ok, with that distinction I would agree. I do love alcoholic beverages. I love the way they burn and I love the way some of them taste. I prefer wines, ciders, and similar beverages most. I don't like the idea of getting drunk. I don't get drunk, I think that is stupid.
I wouldn't mind trying LSD if it were legal and if I had a safe environment to try it in, but I'd only try it once. It isn't toxic at all, so the risks could be minimal. My reasons have nothing to so with "expanding the mind" or for some idiotic reason like looking cool. I just want to know what it is like to have my mind temporarily ripped away from sanity and that is the only drug I would be willing to use to do that.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 2:23 am

I drink alcohol & smoke weed. I've done some other drugs over the years. I don't have a problem with peoples' responsible use of alcohol & drugs.

My twin brother has never drank a drop of alcohol (says it smells like solvent and drunk people are idiots, basically.), never smoked anything, or done any drugs besides absolutely necessary prescriptions.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 12:57 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
My twin brother has never drank a drop of alcohol (says it smells like solvent and drunk people are idiots, basically.), never smoked anything, or done any drugs besides absolutely necessary prescriptions.

Ethanol is an organic solvent and is toxic.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 1:48 pm

olympiadis wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

And it is delicious when mixed with quinine, bitter lemon, and carbonated water in the right amounts... - it's called traditional tonic water.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 2:51 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
olympiadis wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

And it is delicious when mixed with quinine, bitter lemon, and carbonated water in the right amounts... - it's called traditional tonic water.

I was thinking that would be a gin in tonic...Was not aware traditional tonic water contained alcohol/ethanol...I thought that was if you add gin to it making it a gin and tonic.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 3:18 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
olympiadis wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I was thinking that would be a gin in tonic...Was not aware traditional tonic water contained alcohol/ethanol...I thought that was if you add gin to it making it a gin and tonic.

The method for brewing a carbonated drink is essentially the same as brewing an alcoholic drink. The difference between an alcoholic beverage and a soda is that a soda has to legally have less than or equal to 0.5% alcohol by volume. Back then, there wasn't a legal distinction, which meant there could be a far higher alcohol content.
For example the Fentiman's brand of soda maintains a 0.5% (requiring roughly 5.9 liters to equal that of a single beer.) Coke has a 0.3-0.2% (requiring 400+bottles in a single sitting for a minor to fail a breathalyzer.) 7-up is about 0.4%.

However, back in the day, there wasn't a legal distinction. Tonic water could have significantly more ethanol than what would be legal today - often more than enough to alter the perceived flavor for any connoisseur.

Unfortunately, most modern tonic waters don't even use real quinine anymore... preferring instead quinine flavoring.
Finding a good tonic water is hard.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 5:08 pm

Protogenoi wrote:

The method for brewing a carbonated drink is essentially the same as brewing an alcoholic drink. The difference between an alcoholic beverage and a soda is that a soda has to legally have less than or equal to 0.5% alcohol by volume. Back then, there wasn't a legal distinction, which meant there could be a far higher alcohol content.
For example the Fentiman's brand of soda maintains a 0.5% (requiring roughly 5.9 liters to equal that of a single beer.) Coke has a 0.3-0.2% (requiring 400+bottles in a single sitting for a minor to fail a breathalyzer.) 7-up is about 0.4%.

However, back in the day, there wasn't a legal distinction. Tonic water could have significantly more ethanol than what would be legal today - often more than enough to alter the perceived flavor for any connoisseur.

Unfortunately, most modern tonic waters don't even use real quinine anymore... preferring instead quinine flavoring.

Interesting, I was not aware of that...As for good tonic water, its not very hard for me to find it, they have some at Whole Foods grocery store and probably Vitamin Cottage as well and those are all over around where I live. Though it wouldn't have alcohol but it's organic with real quinine and no high fructose corn syrup like all the mainstream brands. It makes a much better gin and tonic than the crap with high fructose corn syrup not to mention I don't settle for pseudo grain alcohol gin I always go for the actual botanical kinds...admittedly feel kind of guilty if I mix that with the artificially flavored tonic water because I feel like it taints it.

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2015, 5:25 pm

Lots of self righteous and judgmental posts here. Can't say I'm surprised seeing as most posts on here consist of looking down on NT's in one way or another.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 7:19 pm

Freak-Z wrote:
Lots of self righteous and judgmental posts here. Can't say I'm surprised seeing as most posts on here consist of looking down on NT's in one way or another.

I mostly hate the notion that us autistic's are supposed to ridgedly follow whatever rules society/the system decides to enact just for the purpose of following rules. I figured the autistic rule following more referred to rules we develop in our heads like every morning I get up and have a cup of tea/coffee with a cigarette and smoke a bowl if I have the means to and I feel off all day if I do not do that ritual....so I adhere to that sort of 'rule'....or if a rule makes sense.

This thread does show autistics are not immune to judgmental sort of self righteous view points, but also counters the stereotype that we're all super geeks who are all about rule following as if we're all stuck in some perpetual state of being 10 years old and not doing things because mom or dad wouldn't like it...or having to follow a strict code of avoiding anything that people might possibly find cool/interesting. Not that drug use per say is 'cool' but avoiding drugs to not come off as 'cool' almost seems the mentality of some people here.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 7:25 pm

I think what got overlooked or lost in this thread was why people do use drugs, there are many reasons, and the view that is is merely a simple moral choice and that people who make that choice deserve to be stigmatised ignores many other factors. It's much more complex than that. This link briefly summarises some of the main reasons, though certainly not all:

http://thejenniferact.com/2011/05/12/re ... use-drugs/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 7:34 pm

B19 wrote:
I think what got overlooked or lost in this thread was why people do use drugs, there are many reasons, and the view that is is merely a simple moral choice and that people who make that choice deserve to be stigmatised ignores many other factors. It's much more complex than that. This link briefly summarises some of the main reasons, though certainly not all:

http://thejenniferact.com/2011/05/12/re ... use-drugs/

That is a good list, though I kind of disagree with the articles bias that still seemed to imply drug use is always a 'negative' and I don't entirely agree....though all those reasons are solid, I can relate to some myself and have seen the other reasons expressed by others more than once.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 8:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

Interesting, I was not aware of that...As for good tonic water, its not very hard for me to find it, they have some at Whole Foods grocery store and probably Vitamin Cottage as well and those are all over around where I live. Though it wouldn't have alcohol but it's organic with real quinine and no high fructose corn syrup like all the mainstream brands. It makes a much better gin and tonic than the crap with high fructose corn syrup not to mention I don't settle for pseudo grain alcohol gin I always go for the actual botanical kinds...admittedly feel kind of guilty if I mix that with the artificially flavored tonic water because I feel like it taints it.

I often brew it myself. It takes about 48 hours to brew after the ingredients are mixed. I can often smell the alcohol in it, but the slight alcohol flavor is still rather hit or miss as I can't maintain the proper conditions for the perfect brew at the moment. It isn't ever quite enough to cause that throat burning sensation alcohol has.
I make other drinks decide tonic water.
I actually have recently obtained a 130 year old recipe for Root Beer that calls for 50 gallon cauldron and a long list of hard to find herbs... I can't wait to be able to try it out! :D

I work for a health food store on occasion and when I do they give me a 10% discount. So, I get my ingredients for cheaper.
Botanical brews are definitely of superior quality.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 8:47 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

I often brew it myself. It takes about 48 hours to brew after the ingredients are mixed. I can often smell the alcohol in it, but the slight alcohol flavor is still rather hit or miss as I can't maintain the proper conditions for the perfect brew at the moment. It isn't ever quite enough to cause that throat burning sensation alcohol has.
I make other drinks decide tonic water.
I actually have recently obtained a 130 year old recipe for Root Beer that calls for 50 gallon cauldron and a long list of hard to find herbs... I can't wait to be able to try it out! :D

I work for a health food store on occasion and when I do they give me a 10% discount. So, I get my ingredients for cheaper.
Botanical brews are definitely of superior quality.

Wow that is pretty cool, l'd certainly want to try such root beer.....but yeah I had no idea the process of carbonating of beverages in general involved any alcohol, guess it sort of makes sense since some breweries also make sodas obviously with the same sort of equipment. If I was working, I think a health food store would be cool, especially if you got discounts on some of the stuff....but yeah if you work for one wouldn't you potentially have somewhat easy access to acquiring the herbs necessary for the root beer? Though I imagine a 50 gallon cauldron may be hard to get ahold of.