Disdain for alcohol and drugs = sign of Austism

Page 7 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 7:42 pm

cavernio wrote:
Alcohol helps me experience emotions; not all control is wanted control.

I quite frankly don't understand how someone can NOT be curious about mind-altering substances. Leery of addiction and side-effects? Sure. My consciousness is all I have, and I want to protect it and my body. But that's also why I think it's neat to change my consciousness at the root.

The whole fake vs real is just so...so...If you're going to get into what reality actually IS, social and perceptual realities are incredibly unreal. Calling someone 'grounded' is, in my mind, calling them 'taken in by the constructs around them' which is the total opposite of what reality is. Socialness is a convoluted perception of reality.

It is snobbish because when you do not do a substance -with the reasoning of 'it's not real, you are harming yourself, my body is a temple' etc.- you also must be saying that you think a person who does is doing all those things. You, on the other hand, would never deign to participating in such things, because you -know better- than someone else. If that isn't snobbery, I don't know what is.

On the other hand, if are someone who doesn't do those things because you have no desire to because you see no purpose in it, that's fine. There is no snobbery in that. It is a problem though when you say 'it only does thing x' when you have utterly no experience with it and people who do use it report constantly that the experience is more than thing x. Why would they lie?

I don't like being around people who are using substances unless it is going to be a mutual experience myself, and it's damned annoying to be around drunk people a lot of the time, but I know that what I see on the outside isn't what's on the inside. And I would think that coming from a population of people who are known for acting weird that it would make sense that someone could see that how someone acts is really a very poor representation of their internal state of mind.

"I dont understand how someone can NOT be curious"

*sigh*

My explanation for alcohol in particular is simple: I've *watched* it happen. Over and over. And over and over and over and over. And every time, EVERY time, without exception, the person I was watching thought they were acting "perfectly normal". And every time, EVERY time, without exception.... they werent.

And this wasnt just ONE person, nooooooo. It's *all* of them. I've never met, not once, someone that could drink and NOT appear altered. But that's the thing with alcohol: The user often isnt aware of it BECAUSE IT LIMITS THEIR AWARENESS. THAT is one of the reasons why my "curiosity" isnt there. I mean, what in the bloody hell would I want to take that stuff for, when it could make me do something stupid without even realizing it? And that's on LOW levels of the stuff! That's not even close to reaching the "drunk" point! That's like, ONE drink! Now granted, I'm.... abnormally perceptive. It seems to take most people a lot longer to notice small changes in others (though in many of these cases, others around them aside from myself DID start to notice after a certain amount of time had passed, even when no further alcohol was taken in by the person).

And one way or another? The feelings it produces really ARE false. Like I said: They go away when the stuff wears off... they were never real to begin with. An illusion. It's one of the reasons why I have no respect (whatsoever) for those that rely on it to produce that. Particularly when it turns out that a way to increase their happiness (as in, increase it and KEEP it there without regular "refills") had been RIGHT IN FREAKING FRONT OF THEM for quite some time, but they didnt notice it.... until they werent drinking. Seen that one before. It's one of the things that really nailed this idea home for me. It wasnt pretty.

In the end though, I personally *really* dont care if someone I know ends up having a problem with me for the fact that I dont like the stuff and have absolutely zero tolerance for it around me. They can think me a "snob" or... whatever. Dont care. To them, I say... TOUGH. Just go do it elsewhere, and dont come near me for awhile afterwards, or I'll make your life miserable for awhile (as I am *not* one bit pleasant when angered as my name and demeanor suggest). Usually those exact words, too, as I prefer to very blatantly get the point across.

Again though, beyond that.... it's not my problem.

Ugh. I'll step out of this topic for now though. This one always starts getting me enraged after a time, despite those doing the discussing having done nothing directly to tick me off.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 11:46 pm

Misery wrote:
I'll make your life miserable for awhile.

Last time someone did that to me, I contacted my local police department, and it didn't end well for that person.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 12:07 am

I just wanted to add that D.A.R.E program I was forced to participate in at school is probably one of the things that got me curious about drugs in the first place. Lol though for a while I was actually afraid there where strange people hiding around corners ready to force me to do drugs that I'd have to 'just say no' to....but gradually I realize that is akin to monsters under the bed or in the closet, they aren't real. Sure peer pressure exists, and with a lot more than drugs...but the way that program portrayed it was as if any drug user would force their drugs on you. People I hang around who at least smoke weed wouldn't try to get someone to if they don't want to and I sure as hell wouldn't do that. Even people who use drugs don't like it when someone tries to pressure people to use drugs that clearly does not want to.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 6:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I just wanted to add that D.A.R.E program I was forced to participate in at school is probably one of the things that got me curious about drugs in the first place. Lol though for a while I was actually afraid there where strange people hiding around corners ready to force me to do drugs that I'd have to 'just say no' to....but gradually I realize that is akin to monsters under the bed or in the closet, they aren't real. Sure peer pressure exists, and with a lot more than drugs...but the way that program portrayed it was as if any drug user would force their drugs on you. People I hang around who at least smoke weed wouldn't try to get someone to if they don't want to and I sure as hell wouldn't do that. Even people who use drugs don't like it when someone tries to pressure people to use drugs that clearly does not want to.

Actually, the stupid dealers sometimes do that... it did happen to some people at a nearby school a while back. There was a party and a guy started lacing the food and drinks with Ice and almost dozen people accidentally consumed a lethal dosage. Police came in and arrested that guy and a bunch of people were hospitalized. My friend said it was the worst experience he ever had.

But in general you are correct.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 10:33 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Misery wrote:

Last time someone did that to me, I contacted my local police department, and it didn't end well for that person.

I dont do illegal things to create the effect though. Frankly, I dont even need to get close to the person or be in the same room/house/building. I dont do physical.... anything, or anything that breaks any rules. Those who know me well enough (wether friends or otherwise) know full well they couldnt do a thing about it. Fortunately, that theory has only been tested a few times (by jerks, not by friends). Guess who won out?

I call myself Misery for alot of reasons; this is one of them. I'm *really* unpleasant when crossed. And really creative. Call it a result of being bullied so much back in high school. I abhor physical violence, so I came up with, ah.... other ways of defending myself and retaliating. By senior year, the bullying had ended, and the faculty always took my side without exception.

Granted, I can be a little unpleasant alot of the time regardless, but whatever. To some degree I do that on purpose. Prevents people from getting too close.

In truth though, I have very, very few rules (maybe three) that I require those around me to follow. Most "normal" people have way more. So long as these are acknowledged, I'm easy to deal with. And as the people I know and deal with ARENT jerks, they're not the sort that'd ever do anything that breaks any rules to begin with. It wont happen with them.

...and yes I know I said I'd pop out of the topic, but I'm bored out of my skull here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 11:46 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Actually, the stupid dealers sometimes do that... it did happen to some people at a nearby school a while back. There was a party and a guy started lacing the food and drinks with Ice and almost dozen people accidentally consumed a lethal dosage. Police came in and arrested that guy and a bunch of people were hospitalized. My friend said it was the worst experience he ever had.

But in general you are correct.

Alright well I guess I cannot say people are 'never' forceful or don't carelessly 'lace' things that does happen sometimes, though I would not want anything to do with those sort of people. But I mean for a while I was paranoid I'd have to worry about some demented drug user popping out from behind every corner to try to get me to smoke or whatever...and I learned it wasn't to that extent typically it seems more common people might offer and then if you turn them down they don't care. Then after a while I just got generally curious.

Not entirely sure what Ice is....another term for methamphetamine? or something else?....why anyone would just lace food and drink with something like that at a party is beyond me, either extreme lack of common sense or apathy towards well being of others.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 11:52 pm

Misery wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
Misery wrote:

I dont do illegal things to create the effect though. Frankly, I dont even need to get close to the person or be in the same room/house/building. I dont do physical.... anything, or anything that breaks any rules. Those who know me well enough (wether friends or otherwise) know full well they couldnt do a thing about it. Fortunately, that theory has only been tested a few times (by jerks, not by friends). Guess who won out?

I call myself Misery for alot of reasons; this is one of them. I'm *really* unpleasant when crossed. And really creative. Call it a result of being bullied so much back in high school. I abhor physical violence, so I came up with, ah.... other ways of defending myself and retaliating. By senior year, the bullying had ended, and the faculty always took my side without exception.

Granted, I can be a little unpleasant alot of the time regardless, but whatever. To some degree I do that on purpose. Prevents people from getting too close.

In truth though, I have very, very few rules (maybe three) that I require those around me to follow. Most "normal" people have way more. So long as these are acknowledged, I'm easy to deal with. And as the people I know and deal with ARENT jerks, they're not the sort that'd ever do anything that breaks any rules to begin with. It wont happen with them.

...and yes I know I said I'd pop out of the topic, but I'm bored out of my skull here.

I am just not entirely sure how someones personal choice is really 'crossing' you though...I mean I can see not wanting to be around drug use, or people who are under the influence if that is not something you're cool with. But I just don't see why it seems you'd take it as a personal insult if someone uses any drug in general even if they did make a point to keep it away from you/not do it around you. Or maybe I am misunderstanding....I just find the to each their own policy works best unless of course someone directly does something with ill intent towards me.

Also I suppose I don't see what is so great about rules...or following them just to follow them, if the rule makes sense sure...but I feel like I'd be far too easily molded if I was willing to simply follow any rule thrown at me by society/the system just because its a rule and I like to have a mind of my own...so I feel that would be contrary to that. I cannot help but question just about any rule...not always out-loud but in my mind for certain to rationalize if I agree or if it makes sense. As a child I was very afraid to break rules...sometimes to my detriment.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 1:32 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Misery wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
Misery wrote:

I am just not entirely sure how someones personal choice is really 'crossing' you though...I mean I can see not wanting to be around drug use, or people who are under the influence if that is not something you're cool with. But I just don't see why it seems you'd take it as a personal insult if someone uses any drug in general even if they did make a point to keep it away from you/not do it around you. Or maybe I am misunderstanding....I just find the to each their own policy works best unless of course someone directly does something with ill intent towards me.

Also I suppose I don't see what is so great about rules...or following them just to follow them, if the rule makes sense sure...but I feel like I'd be far too easily molded if I was willing to simply follow any rule thrown at me by society/the system just because its a rule and I like to have a mind of my own...so I feel that would be contrary to that. I cannot help but question just about any rule...not always out-loud but in my mind for certain to rationalize if I agree or if it makes sense. As a child I was very afraid to break rules...sometimes to my detriment.

*shrugs* So long as they simply keep away from me until any effects wear off, I really just dont care what anyone else does. It's not my problem. Beyond that, I wont take any direct action unless I were to find out that someone I know is actively damaging themselves with something like that (like, becoming a heavy alcoholic, the sort that tends to have really bad health issues).

As for rules... the way I see it, if anyone has a problem with any of the rules I put forth, well... they can go find someone else to talk to, or whatever. Besides, alot of autistics seem to have a few rules that really are not meant to be broken, lest it trigger a meltdown or fit of some sort, so it's not exactly abnormal. I dont get violent with reactions to something like that as some that I've met do, but I still have those things that I just wont tolerate.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 9:27 am

Misery wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Misery wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
Misery wrote:

*shrugs* So long as they simply keep away from me until any effects wear off, I really just dont care what anyone else does. It's not my problem. Beyond that, I wont take any direct action unless I were to find out that someone I know is actively damaging themselves with something like that (like, becoming a heavy alcoholic, the sort that tends to have really bad health issues).

As for rules... the way I see it, if anyone has a problem with any of the rules I put forth, well... they can go find someone else to talk to, or whatever. Besides, alot of autistics seem to have a few rules that really are not meant to be broken, lest it trigger a meltdown or fit of some sort, so it's not exactly abnormal. I dont get violent with reactions to something like that as some that I've met do, but I still have those things that I just wont tolerate.

Ah that makes sense....and you are talking of 'your' rules not societies?...that is a bit different. Lol it would be kind of hard to blindly follow your own rules since you're the one that made them. I guess when it comes to peoples personal 'rules' I follow them to respect that person...but with societies rules I have to question it a lot .

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 9:36 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ah that makes sense....and you are talking of 'your' rules not societies?...that is a bit different. Lol it would be kind of hard to blindly follow your own rules since you're the one that made them. I guess when it comes to peoples personal 'rules' I follow them to respect that person...but with societies rules I have to question it a lot .

Yeah, I tend to think the same way. Sometimes society's rules are just.... very strange to me. Much that I dont really understand. Often it seems like a better idea to just avoid any of it altogether.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 10:28 am

Misery wrote:
Yeah, I tend to think the same way. Sometimes society's rules are just.... very strange to me. Much that I dont really understand. Often it seems like a better idea to just avoid any of it altogether.

While we've had our differences, you're right about society's rules. Society's rules aren't meant to benefit you, meaning citizens (and legal aliens) in general. If you learned differently, it's a lie they've been feeding you since your 4th grade social studies class. Even if you went to a private school. It's the crappy reality we created for ourselves.

Society's rules are meant to benefit only a small group. In capitalist countries, it's the super-wealthy, the chiefs of police, and the corporations. In socialist countries, it's the government elite and the military. Nobody else. You do not matter, unless of course, you break the society's rule; then they'll be after you. It's why countries like Libya and North Korea don't care what you poison yourself with, as long as you love their leader and follow their religious ideology.

Going back to your point. Why is alcohol legal but most drugs are prescription-only? Even though they can reduce a person's unhappiness level much faster and more efficiently. Because the prescription drug companies need their freaking revenue! It'll hurt their profits to have happy pills sold on shelves like vodka. So they lobby for restrictions.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2015, 5:30 pm

I've never been interested in alcohol.. from what I've observed in others the effects are simply disgusting.
That and I find the taste absolutely foul.
I don't know about drugs.. I'd want to try pot if you consider that a drug, I think it could possibly help me in various ways, but I have no connections so its not too easy to come by.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 6:01 pm

I have always tried to feel good naturally, through healthy living. The more you take substances to achieve the same thing, the harder it is to achieve it naturally.

Drugs and alcohol are a way of dealing with mental anguish, and I suppose I am fortunate as despair is a rarity for me, and when it hits I have more productive ways of dealing with it, not that I would take them in any case.

I don't judge people who take substances out of despair over their situation, but it is aggravating when we have to live in high crime areas because certain people don't have enough self control or basic common sense.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 12 May 2015, 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 6:11 pm

It is not really a matter of autism though. It has been examined that people of high intelligence are generally risk takers and more prone to alcoholism and trying drugs. Whereas the use of drugs normally remains at "trying" and not the abuse of such. I would rather like to see a questionnaire asking for an honest answer of IQ, educational level, use of alcohol, use of drugs and use of tobacco. Rather maybe I should start such a questionnaire for statistical reasons. Due to a lack of official documentation, it cannot be seen as a valid study though.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 7:11 pm

Aniihya wrote:
It is not really a matter of autism though. It has been examined that people of high intelligence are generally risk takers and more prone to alcoholism and trying drugs. Whereas the use of drugs normally remains at "trying" and not the abuse of such.

Let's be honest. Intelligent people---and most aspies are pretty intelligent---have difficult lives. Not only that, they can see and feel the difficulty with full force. So they simply need alcohol and/or drugs to make the difficulty more bearable. Otherwise, it's a fast track to clinical depression or worse. Less intelligent people can get by on the notion that ignorance is bliss, or "the less you know, the better you sleep".

I could never understand why popular kids in high school drank. Ditto for juvenile delinquents street thugs. Most of them have easier lives---not wealthier, but easier---than we aspies can even dream of. So why would they need alcohol? To forget what exactly? How many girls they had sex with? How many intelligent people they mugged? Or how many aspies they bully?

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 12:57 am

I do not see any need to drink alcohol. I see it as an option. Plus jocks and such do not always bully aspies. Well I was diagnosed with HFA, but I was only bullied by one person until I won a fight against him in ninth grade.