medical ID Bracelets-to write Asperger's Syndrome or autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2015, 10:02 pm

I have one for epilepsy and it Asperger's Syndrome on it. But I need a new one, especially since I have Fibromyalgia and need to add that.

I know they've done a bunch of name changing int he DSM book (what edition is it anyway 5?) so should I have Austim or Asperger's Syndrome engraved on it?

I know the choice is really mine but I would like some advice and comments from you even though I haven't been here for a long time. Not a good choice-I should have been, I know. :cry:

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 10:40 pm

I got one recently and put "autism" on it, partly because it's shorter character-wise than Asperger's, and partly because it's more universally well known than AS. The distinction between autism and AS is essentially just functioning level semantics, and when you're in the middle of a meltdown, shutdown, or have gone nonverbal, the semantics don't really matter, you just need to convey your message quickly and efficiently, and I personally think that the word "autism" would do that more effectively than "Asperger's".

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

doraE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2016, 7:00 am

Hi! I'm using one for a time. But I also use medical alert system that I found on reviewsbee, and it is very good. Check the site, because they offer you a user's review, scores, experience etc and it is very helpful.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 7:19 am

Mine says Autism, as I never use aspergers or aspie or any of those terms, it always sounded silly and seemed divisive, mincing about between differing "levels" of autism. I agree with the above - people are going to be more aware of what effects autism can have than aspergers.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 9:26 am

I would go with "Autism".
It's shorter, more well-known and it also is the current official term anyway

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 9:36 am

I don't need a medical ID bracelet saying I'm autistic or have Asperger's. I've gotten along this far without one, and anyway most people be will be all like, "you're not autistic because blah blah blah" while not having a clue about Asperger's and how it's like having "a dash of autism".

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 9:39 am

I would put autism as it's a more well-known word.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 10:46 am

I also lean toward autism but keep in mind that some people are going to see that and think stupid things. I think that's preferable to seeing Asperger's and wondering what it is.

I say that because I sometimes tell people what I research and they don't know what autism is and ask me ridiculously offensive questions.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 3:03 am

Quote:
I say that because I sometimes tell people what I research and they don't know what autism is and ask me ridiculously offensive questions

Such as? I know people used to tell me that being autistic meant you were ret*d, and would spend your life on the "short bus" if anyone ever found out, and would never be able to have a real job or get into university and so on.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 5:11 am

My alert tag says Autism.

Wreck It Ralph

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 4:45 pm

My medical ID bracelet says "Autism", but also "Epilepsy" because I have seizures.

Whatever word you choose is your decision alone.

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2016, 6:58 pm

Mine one has the word "autism". I had many ordeals because of misdiagnosis. I better wear one.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 8:18 pm

Mine has three lines inscribed on it.
1. My name
2. Autism, Bipolar
3. Where I get treatment

The bracelet is necessary in my case because my behaviour is very unpredictable and the police could misconstrue a psychotic period or meltdown as an occasion to put a bullet in my head.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 9:01 pm

After some extensive research about this idea, I believe that the nonprofit organization Crisis Intervention Team Inc. (CIT Inc.) of Albuquerque, N.M., ( http://www.gocit.org/care-cards.html ) does a great job in creating an Alert/ID card that relies on specific tailored information for each person ... for just $10.00!

For such an affordable price, it might just be a good idea to have one, just in case.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 12:42 pm

right now you can get a medical id bracelet from this site for free if your getting it for someone autistic:
https://www.medicalert.org/autism

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2016, 5:40 pm

My feeling is a medical alert bracelet of some sort is a must. Especially if you are driving. It is something that will speak for you if you are involved in a crash and found unconscious.

I highly recommend the ones at Lauren's Hope (www.laurenshope.com) where they have a very large selection. I bought one made of cloth and velcro and that is designed to be waterproof. https://www.laurenshope.com/black-adjus ... t&catId=37 It comes with a plastic insert that you can write your info on. However, I used the insert to refer an interested party to a card in my wallet where I have more detailed info (emergency contact, doctor name and how to contact, my antidepressant, etc). And I never leave the house without it on my left wrist. If I am driving and in an accident, an emt will get to my left side first.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.