Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 8:47 pm

Mostly by voice I have not reconized women when seeing them in heels.

I never miss on machine parts.

I do not recall what is not of use.

I do see dangerous people, they are remembered.

I do see well in near total darkness.

It is not what cannot be done but a special range.

Anyone notice special visual skills?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 8:52 pm

I am very good at finding things...which means i am very good at "spotting" things that others might not see...and um...I have a very good visual memory for knowing where things are (but that is not the same as having special visual skills.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 9:38 pm

I've got prosopagnosia. I'm taking part in the study that Harvard has been working on in the past few years.

LRKirsch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2007, 9:43 pm

I seem to have a hard time remembering what acquaintances look like, usually until I see them again. I'm much more likely to remember their voice, sometimes what clothes they were wearing, and maybe their name. In 9th grade, it took me a couple weeks to realize that one of the people in my band class was someone that I had talked to every day at lunch for a few months in 8th grade.

I'm not too bad with reading obvious emotions (happy, sad, mad, shocked, etc.), but I feel that I struggle with more subtle expressions. Apparently I might be just as bad with projecting them -- I can't tell you how many times my classmates used to come up to me and ask me what was wrong, when absolutely nothing was wrong.

Oddish
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2007, 10:51 pm

Yes, I do. In elementary school, I'd meet someone and they'd want to play pogs or trade Pokemon cards again the next day, and I'd always really worry that I wouldn't recognize them, so I'd find somewhere to sit and look distracted so that the person would find me.

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2007, 11:03 pm

Embarrassingly bad. Once at my previous lab, located in a remote wooded area (I live in AK), I saw a man walking toward the lab, approximately .25 mile away. He was wearing Arctic gear, but I thought he was my co-worker, Jack, whom I used to kid around with a lot. And, Jack did sometimes take the bus and walk the rest of the way to the lab. Jack is approximately 6' tall. So, in my darkened car, at 6:45 am (AK is pitch black at that hour in winter), I pulled over with my headlights on this man and said, in a mock seductive voice (thinking it was my buddy Jack), "Get in, come on, just get in!" Anyway, this man started to veer off into the woods and then began to run. He was not Jack. I think I seriously frightened him and he probably suspected I was a perverted stalker. Ooops. Next time, I'm going to start carrying candy in my car to lure strange men.....heh heh. Sigh....I was just trying to be a considerate co-worker. This is bad. I've had other weird/bad experiences too. I recognize by what clothes/colors are typical of the individual, and voice.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 11:28 pm

I totally suck. I can, given time and xposure, get to sort of recognize. Yeah, but let me meet that same person out of context and I am lost. I will be stumbling about consciously plodding through my files wondering "who just said hi to me?"

I now tell people up front about this issue.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

PG500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2007, 3:09 am

I can remember faces and names pretty good. Sometimes though, I just can't

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2007, 12:01 pm

I can generally remember peoples' faces if I see them a lot or spend a lot of time with them... that means I can remember the face of my parents, classmates and teachers; but not the faces of our neighbours, taxi drivers, and random people who come to our house some days. I still consider this ability of mine to be a little lacking compared to the rest of my eidetic memory- I can recognise other things when I've seen them only once and I have a fairly detailed picture of them in my mind if I try to visualise it.

I am extremely worse with names- it takes me about two weeks to learn the names of some new people, and even after that, I forget it sometimes.

cobweb
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2007, 4:17 pm

Unless the person has a very distinguishing feature, like big curly hair, I am very faceblind.

:( As an example, I actually couldn't tell two of my aunts apart until I was well into my teens because I only saw them twice a year and they both had the same hair style. It was very embarrassing.

Clueless_Rhino

27 Mar 2007, 4:49 pm

OMG, That reminds me of a Doctor's office I visit. There were 2 ladies that worked there that were unrelated. I couldn't tell them apart at all. Once they sat next to each other at the pay window and all I could do was stare. I felt like I was staring at identical twins. I knew in my head that there were differences between the two, but my eyes wouldn't tell me what those differences were. I was so uncomfortable.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 5:40 pm

Oddish wrote:
Yes, I do. In elementary school, I'd meet someone and they'd want to play pogs or trade Pokemon cards again the next day, and I'd always really worry that I wouldn't recognize them, so I'd find somewhere to sit and look distracted so that the person would find me.

hahaha! I do that too!!

I mean, in elementary school and beyond. I *still* do that. Sit there and look distracted- if they know you they'll come to you.

lab_pet, that story is hilarious.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 6:23 pm

I just have trouble reading expressions on people's faces. I recognize their faces but I just can't glean any clues or cues from their expression.

I just have trouble remembering people's names. I have trouble assigning a name to someone's face.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 9:28 pm

I am much better at remembering names than I am at remembering faces. I think I may have a degree of prosopagnosia.

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2007, 10:25 pm

Inventor wrote:
Mostly by voice I have not reconized women when seeing them in heels.

I never miss on machine parts.

I do not recall what is not of use.

I do see dangerous people, they are remembered.

I do see well in near total darkness.

It is not what cannot be done but a special range.

Anyone notice special visual skills?

I do! And with admiration......I think you navigate like a bat using echolation. I too navigate using my senses. I understand this way. We have a high attenuation.

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2007, 11:23 pm

I'm very poor at remembering names. Not that much with faces. But There are time when people come up to me and say hello and I don't remember who they are only to find out that they used to be my class mates in middle school. But then again I don't think it's that bad to forget faces from 7 years ago. :/