Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Erewhon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2020, 7:26 am

I love absurdism.
With absurdism i dont need more than the 1 kilo of brains in my skull.
Absurdism is a place in the city called 'Nowhere'
Nowhere a big town, where i feel ultimate freedom.
Its a town where the streets have no name.
And 1 of the streets is called 'Nirgendwo' in the German language.
The sign tells that for going to Nirgendwo you have to travel to the right side.
In my view to going to Nirgendwo you can travel in every possible direction.
Middle in the centre of Nowhere i find Everywhere.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 12:58 pm

Aniihya wrote:
Where many Aspies feel that they are misplaced in this world, I do not just feel that. I even feel so among other people on the spectrum.

Sometimes I feel that way too.

Wreck It Ralph

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 5:46 am

A phrase I've used and related to for many years...

Belonging nowhere is something I feel deeply, and I relate it to R.D. Laing's idea of the double bind. The double bind is a situation in which a person is given choices but any choice they make will be "wrong" in some way. For example, one can mask, which is "wrong" in that it causes stress and hurts you; or, they cannot mask, which is "wrong" in that they will be ostracized or ridiculed for being autistic. The individual is undermined in that they cannot authentically be themselves, and are rewarded for self-invalidation.

I think, diagnosed or undiagnosed, many of us here go through this. And since most of the language and ideas around ASD are made by those who are definitely not on the spectrum, you have one group of people telling another what that second group thinks and feels, and what their motivations are. This can only mess with one's sense of identity, creating a feeling of belonging nowhere.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 7:17 pm

I don't feel like I really belong anywhere. I feel like an outcast or a reject pretty much everywhere I go. The best luck I've had with feeling like I belong and am somewhat understood is with people online that I meet that share my interests and while that helps, I even have moments there where I feel unwanted. Honestly, I feel like my only real safe haven and place where I can be 100% myself is in my bedroom inn my own little world I've created where I feel like I am accepted and loved.

lvpin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2020, 9:55 pm

I wouldn't say I feel like I belong but that isn't to say I don't think others at least partially accept me. However I do often feel frustrated/upset because I realise how I think and experience the world is so different to others and in any ways I will never truly feel like I gel/fit in. I don't mind it as much sometimes but when my mental health isn't so great it ruins everything.