Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Butterfiend
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2015, 3:41 am

My whole life I've never been able to pay complete attention. It takes me hours to do a task that should take 20 minutes. I end up just doing something else or sometimes just walk around in circles. It frustrates me because I'm never going to accomplish anything in life because I can't just sit down and do them. It's so annoying.

AQ Score:44

Feel free to PM me for any reason at all. I like to talk to people online.

"I do not know what I am, and soon it may not matter." -Mewtwo.

"Time passes, people move. Like a river’s flow, it never ends." - Sheik

"I'm not popular enough to be different." -Homer Simpson

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 5:52 am

Written lists help me. I usually bounce back and forth doing separate things a bit at a time. If I find myself going in circles, I sit still a few minutes and then re-read my list. I always sit in the same spot, and put the list in an obvious place.

Good luck. I do admit there are times when my to do list gets crumpled in the garbage. :mrgreen:

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2015, 12:33 pm

I sometimes tend to work on numerous different projects at once when like this.

JJabb
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2015, 10:00 pm

Folks Like us ten to be great at multi-tasking. But I tend to have the same worries that I will never be able to complete anything I start. I tend to think about the amazing things I would be able to accomplish if I could only focus on one thing for more than a second. I find that fish oils help. I also find that wearing a hat helps too for some reason.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 10:41 pm

Paradoxically, I find that sometimes having something in the background like music can help me maintain focus on my primary task. How well that works depends on the nature of the primary task.

For example, if I am trying to write something then the music must be purely instrumental, i.e. no vocals. Otherwise the words I am trying to write and the lyrics can get jumbled up in my head.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2015, 7:03 am

JJabb wrote:
Folks Like us ten to be great at multi-tasking. But I tend to have the same worries that I will never be able to complete anything I start. I tend to think about the amazing things I would be able to accomplish if I could only focus on one thing for more than a second. I find that fish oils help. I also find that wearing a hat helps too for some reason.

I feel that I work better when wearing a hoody (a hat can be a bit tight and a hood keeps my neck warm too.)

Marky9 wrote:
Paradoxically, I find that sometimes having something in the background like music can help me maintain focus on my primary task. How well that works depends on the nature of the primary task.

For example, if I am trying to write something then the music must be purely instrumental, i.e. no vocals. Otherwise the words I am trying to write and the lyrics can get jumbled up in my head.

Yes, no vocals and not loud, also I do find classical helps too (but not too melancholy, even though many of my fav's are in this genre.)

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 7:16 am

Try the pomodoro technique.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2015, 9:48 am

The pomodoro technique seems very similar to the method of cleaning up i thought of some years ago. I was playing my favourite turn based strategic computer game (Heroes of might and magic 3) and back then it took the computer quite a long time to make its turn, making me feel restless and bored. Also it began being urgent that i cleaned up. It was a horrible mess everywhere and getting worse.

Then it struck me to try cleaning up while i was waiting for the computer to make its move. And to stop the second i saw the computer was done. Giving me some 10 or 15 minutes each time. Tho of course I never knew exactly how long each "work phase" would be.

It was so much fun! Cleaning up, bit by bit, was suddenly possible and the game was somehow also more enjoyable!

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair