Page 5 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 12:36 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
"For The Win" doesn't even sound right. Win is not a noun, it's a verb. But I used to think FTW normally did start with the f-word until I saw it on a family-friendly website.

I always viewed it as sort of a sport term, like how people will tell players to bring in the win, or get a win for the team, thus making it a noun in a strange sort of sense.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:24 am

Many of the words and phrases listed in this thread have been around for years and hardly count as "new" speak.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:08 pm

[quote="lostonearth35"]"For The Win" doesn't even sound right. Win is not a noun, it's a verb.[quote]

Win can be a noun. For example, in baseball statistics they will say how many wins a pitcher has. Or how many wins a team has.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:14 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Politicians in the UK seem unable to mention any of their decisions or policies without adding that "It is/was the right thing to do". Is this a worldwide phenomenon?

It is in the US at least. Our politicians usually will say they did some piece of legislation "For the children". Somehow that makes a crappy policy ok, because it was done for children.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:17 pm

TTRSage wrote:
The one that just drives me up the wall is when they say on the news that this, that or another "went viral".

This was exactly one of the terms I was thinking of when I started this thread. There are quite a few more, fortunately I can't think of any of them right now.

I also hate the computer analogies like how when someone changes themselves they are now (their name) version 2.0.

I guess a lot of things get on my nerves.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:20 pm

I think "for the win" may have started on a game show like "Wheel Of Fortune", or "Jeopardy", or another.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:35 pm

olympiadis wrote:
I think "for the win" may have started on a game show like "Wheel Of Fortune", or "Jeopardy", or another.

Or "Hollywood Squares." :D

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:49 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Many of the words and phrases listed in this thread have been around for years and hardly count as "new" speak.

True, some of them would be better termed "idiot-speak" or "spin-speak."

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2015, 2:50 pm

I hate "text speak", if that's what you call it when people write in acronyms for phrases nobody knows. I also hate when people us "text" as a past tense.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

I hate when people say, "Is that a thing now?"

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:10 pm

gaz34 wrote:
I hate "text speak", if that's what you call it when people write in acronyms for phrases nobody knows. I also hate when people us "text" as a past tense.

Which is a variant (sort of) of this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LeetLingo

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2015, 3:16 pm

conundrum wrote:
gaz34 wrote:

Which is a variant (sort of) of this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LeetLingo

Yes, I think you are right. There is also "text talk" I've heard of but "Leet Lingo" is new one for me.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:20 pm

gaz34 wrote:
conundrum wrote:
gaz34 wrote:

Yes, I think you are right. There is also "text talk" I've heard of but "Leet Lingo" is new one for me.

Talking in leet (1337) was at its peak 10 years ago :P

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:22 pm

gaz34 wrote:

I've mellowed a bit, but I used to hate that too, when used in emails and posts where the message length isn't subject to restrictions. It made sense in the very early internet days when people had to be very economical with the number of characters they used. It's easier for me to tolerate it now I know what a lot of those abbreviations mean, but it used to drive me mad when I didn't. Basically I don't like it when I have to read stuff that contains any terms I don't already know, because I feel that the author has made it easy on themselves and hard on me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 4:02 pm

TTRSage wrote:
The one that just drives me up the wall is when they say on the news that this, that or another "went viral".

In terms of everyday life, the one that grinds on my nerves is, "have a good one". Have a good WHAT? Orgasm? To me that is a highly invasive sexual innuendo implying the God-given right of the person saying it to pry into your sex life and as an excuse of the other person to not have any part of it. I have sent complaints to the main offices of several companies on this issue regarding comments made by their employees.

I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than to hear either of these remarks.

The first phrase is fine. "Going viral" just means it spread all over the internet (which stuff tends to do...in ways analogous to how disease causing viruses spread).. Its an indenspenceable phrase for the 21st century.

But yeah: stuff like "have a good one", and "how's it hanging?"(my Johnson?) I could live without.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 12:38 am

TTRSage wrote:
I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than to hear either of these remarks.

That's Newspeak, right there. Why do so many now refer to a blackboard as a chalkboard? Does it have something to do with the word 'black'? Is this word now only P.C. when referring to someone who isn't 'white'? If so, then why do we still call whiteboards, whiteboards? Isn't this... I don't know - 'racist' or something? Has the world gone mad?