The habit of laughing at inappropriate times.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

29 Jun 2015, 3:25 pm

I wonder how many of us here laugh at the subtle absurdities we see in things around us and begin to laugh at inappropriate, seemingly random times. This has happened to me on many occasions, today my form tutor announced to our form class that there was a shooting in Tunisia and multiple people had unfortunately perished.. As he was delivering the harrowing news he began to violently cough and splutter.. He face began to contort and for some reason it looked funny to me.. So I began to quietly snigger, I tried my hardest not to laugh loudly. But my fellow classmates noticed my unintended grin and I was given a few glares. :oops:

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 4:08 pm

Sometimes I will see or hear something that I think is humorously ironic. Because my thinking seems a bit different than most people, often I am the only one perceiving humor even when, on its face, the circumstances are not funny to others. So the short answer is: yes. :D

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 10:14 pm

DestinedToBeAPotato wrote:
I wonder how many of us here laugh at the subtle absurdities we see in things around us and begin to laugh at inappropriate, seemingly random times.

Yes, it has happened to me a great many times.
It's one of the reasons that many of us get conditioned to not emote.

Laurelynn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2015, 2:07 am

I understand completely. This sort of thing actually happens to me a lot. I think some people think I'm a psychopath because of it. :oops:

TheMilkman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2015, 3:17 am

I think it's a bit like pleasure and pain or anything that's essentially two sides of the same coin. I've felt like I've given myself lock jaw at a funeral before. I had to clench my teeth throughout to stop laughing. Had there been no-one around to embarrass myself in front of I would have wailed tears. The suppression of emotion contorted the emotion to laughter.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 3:28 am

Sounds like me. I don't generally find comedy amusing, but laugh at things that most other people regard as deadly serious. I could give a list of examples, but you'd probably laugh ...

:lol:

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2015, 3:41 am

I've had that sort of experience many a time, and I tend to laugh excessively at things that are only mildly funny. Sometimes I'll randomly remember these things in public then have to stop myself from laughing visibly. But the harder I try not to, the more I actually laugh! :oops:

AQ: 39 / 50

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 5:06 am

I don't normally laugh at inappropriate times.

But about a week ago when I was in a second-hand shop with my friend, there was a book with the same name as mine printed boldly on the front, and it caught my attention, just seeing my name printed intensely on the front of a book made me laugh at it for some reason. My friend then looked at it, then said, ''oh that's [her name], she died of breast cancer''. I felt really bad for laughing at the book after that. But I didn't read the best of the cover. I only saw my name, and my name is quite unusual to be seen on the front of a book, which is why I laughed. But it felt so inappropriate to laugh at a book published by the family of someone who suffered and died from cancer. :oops:

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 8:18 am

Guilty.

I really cut up during the scene in Wallace & Gromit (sp?) the curse of the Were-Rabbit (sp?) were the Anglican priest, after praying for unity before a vegetable growing contest, is then sprinkling holy water on his vegetables. Nobody else in the theatre was laughing. Then later there is this scene were the female lead right at one moment walks in front of this two huge melons while in her rooftop garden.

Oyesyoko99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2015, 2:38 am

I do this too. The most dramatic example was when my school had a Remembrance Day assembly one year and when they started playing the bagpipes I just lost it. I was stifling my laughs the entire time they were playing them. I had never laughed at the bagpipes before and some other started laughing too and some glared at me.

Also no matter the subject someone talks about whether it be happy or sad if they say a certain word that sounds weird to me I'll start laughing. :oops:

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 2:47 am

I used to giggle during school classes.
Also, when I laugh out loud, I sound like a donkey. Anyone else with this problem?

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

02 Jul 2015, 2:55 am

Oyesyoko99 wrote:
I do this too. The most dramatic example was when my school had a Remembrance Day assembly one year and when they started playing the bagpipes I just lost it. I was stifling my laughs the entire time they were playing them. I had never laughed at the bagpipes before and some other started laughing too and some glared at me.

Also no matter the subject someone talks about whether it be happy or sad if they say a certain word that sounds weird to me I'll start laughing. :oops:

Haha XD The sound of bag pipes also make me laugh at times. I don't blame you.

I also had a similar gaff during the remembrance day 1 minute silence. At my school we have an alarm that goes off to alert us that the one minute silence is happening. And on this occasion the alarm malfunctioned, the sound it made could be likened to an extremely loud fart.. And I absolutely lost it. I couldn't contain myself for the entire minute. I felt ashamed of myself for laughing during a moment I was supposed pay respects to fallen soldiers.

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2015, 9:11 am

Anyone else do the "liberation laugh"?
Comes with exhilaration when overcoming some fear or inhibition of some kind (which can be a good thing or a bad one).

Examples from my own experience:
> Playing gigs - overcoming mild shyness
> Sex - losing inhibitions (yeah, laughing during or after is a great way to confuse & alienate your partner if they're just that wee bit insecure - maybe better explain yourself beforehand)

Examples I've heard about:
> Bungee jumpers, parachutists, that kind of thing - overcoming physical fear
> Mass murderers & such - overcoming entirely justified taboos against doing bad stuff to people (recent massacre in Tunisia comes to mind - media reported the guy laughed while shooting)

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2015, 9:48 am

DestinedToBeAPotato, I had to laugh at your malfunctioning alarm story. I know what you mean about feeling bad because you know you're meant to be solemn during such a moment, but it's impossible not to laugh sometimes!

It's as if the more serious or quiet the scenario is, the funnier small things seem...

One time, when I was about 11, our whole class had been misbehaving all day and we knew we were in trouble. The teacher was in the middle of chastising us and, because she was so angry, mispronounced a word but apparently I was the only one who found it immensely humorous. She was already at the end of her tether so luckily she didn't catch my suppressed giggles. :lol:

Maglevsky, I'm not sure that I can personally relate to the 'liberation laugh'. Perhaps that's because I haven't often had the experience of overcoming fear / inhibitions. I think I've seen it in others though.

AQ: 39 / 50

bookworm360
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2015, 10:29 am

Happens to me all the time. My mom had to leave the theater when she forced me to go see Titanic with her because I just started laughing like crazy when people were falling off the boat as it capsized.

Just a couple weeks ago a guy was trying to start a fight with/intimidate me and I just started laughing in his face because one of the insults he used was just so ridiculous.

I'm often told I have a dark or twisted sense of humor, I don't think so, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Rosalind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2015, 10:56 am

This thread caught me by surprise. I know I've always done this (uncontrollable giggles in school, offending people and hurting their feelings, and so on). As for laughing at an absurd insult, I found that this can be useful for defusing a potentially violent situation, at least if the opponent is intelligent enough to see that they are being ridiculous. And ya, I laugh a lot during sex, both at the tickles I feel as my inhibitions are first being bridged, and then as my body warms up and I start having a good time, then at orgasm I go off quite hysterically. Good thing we don't have close neighbours, and good thing my lover "gets it". Isn't life fun?