11 Jul 2015, 11:17 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
Okay, so I went over to the Landover Baptist Church forum, and the recent thread titles on basically every forum in it's index had me laughing already. And then I read a few posts and figured I would definitely have to sign up and poke some fun at these people. Wish me luck in getting banned. Seriously, this might be the dumbest forum I've ever been on and just the thread titles are enough for me to piss my pants laughing.

Haven't been banned anywhere but I'm working on it now. :lol:

:

Ummm...you're confusing it with the Westboro Baptists Church. The Landover is a put-on, and a deliberate parody of Fundamentalism.

I tried to warn him.....hope he noticed in time.

Oh I've noticed, trust me. Was having fun a little earlier in a pretty dumb thread on why "God doesn't recognize any language other than English".

OK but I doubt you'll achieve your ambition to get banned.

Dunno. I've received a bunch of infractions for "arguing" and "disagree with a True Christian". Saying that Jesus' own name was Yeshua, a Hebrew word, sure riled em up good.

It's a satire site and the other people posting are doing it satirically. You won't have 'riled them up' as such but you probably do have them wondering if you are in on the joke or if you are debating un-ironically. Are you in on the joke? Because you are debating with pranksters, not fundamentalists and you seem to be doing it as though they actually are fundamentalists.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 4:10 am

Janissy wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
Okay, so I went over to the Landover Baptist Church forum, and the recent thread titles on basically every forum in it's index had me laughing already. And then I read a few posts and figured I would definitely have to sign up and poke some fun at these people. Wish me luck in getting banned. Seriously, this might be the dumbest forum I've ever been on and just the thread titles are enough for me to piss my pants laughing.

Haven't been banned anywhere but I'm working on it now. :lol:

:

Ummm...you're confusing it with the Westboro Baptists Church. The Landover is a put-on, and a deliberate parody of Fundamentalism.

I tried to warn him.....hope he noticed in time.

Oh I've noticed, trust me. Was having fun a little earlier in a pretty dumb thread on why "God doesn't recognize any language other than English".

OK but I doubt you'll achieve your ambition to get banned.

Dunno. I've received a bunch of infractions for "arguing" and "disagree with a True Christian". Saying that Jesus' own name was Yeshua, a Hebrew word, sure riled em up good.

It's a satire site and the other people posting are doing it satirically. You won't have 'riled them up' as such but you probably do have them wondering if you are in on the joke or if you are debating un-ironically. Are you in on the joke? Because you are debating with pranksters, not fundamentalists and you seem to be doing it as though they actually are fundamentalists.

Oh, I get it alright. There is a fellow there that is putting in a not unimpressive effort, of course still satirically, to present some sort of academic argument for their ideas. It is entertaining to see what he can muster up as a devil's advocate, in terms of scholarly support for "True Christianity". I'm merely making mincemeat of his feeble attempts at language study for the hell of it.

One thing I found hilarious was that he criticized me for calling Yeshua an Aramaic word, until I explained to him cognate words in Semitic languages. He then tried to muster up a response that Isaiah didn't use Aramaic anyways until I cited the relevant phenomenon of targumim. At this point he appears to be in a pickle, as to mustering up anything else as a devil's advocate. Of course, it's not as if practically any fundamentalist would know what a cognate or targumim is. Just some ridiculously complicated semantics in a play argument, for no apparent reason.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 5:29 am

For the most part, I have done really good on all the forums I have been on, to my surprise.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 8:27 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
Oh, I get it alright. There is a fellow there that is putting in a not unimpressive effort, of course still satirically, to present some sort of academic argument for their ideas. It is entertaining to see what he can muster up as a devil's advocate, in terms of scholarly support for "True Christianity". I'm merely making mincemeat of his feeble attempts at language study for the hell of it.

One thing I found hilarious was that he criticized me for calling Yeshua an Aramaic word, until I explained to him cognate words in Semitic languages. He then tried to muster up a response that Isaiah didn't use Aramaic anyways until I cited the relevant phenomenon of targumim. At this point he appears to be in a pickle, as to mustering up anything else as a devil's advocate. Of course, it's not as if practically any fundamentalist would know what a cognate or targumim is. Just some ridiculously complicated semantics in a play argument, for no apparent reason.

I was so intrigued I had to go over to the Landover Baptist Church forums to see. It was a pretty hilarious exchange. The whole website is built on mocking people who have unsupportably ignorant religious views so the only one who could play devil's advocate while staying in character was the guy who put "distinguished professor" under his name. Nobody else's character could plausibly have the knowledge for a rebuttal when upthread they had written "joo". There are limits to how much I could poke around without actually registering but I did notice that in another thread he made, his character was far less knowledgeable. He had to let the mask slip in order to engage with you.

Pretty funny stuff all around. But it's a one note joke so I didn't register to join in.

gmad1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2015, 10:01 am

Do imageboards count?

If they do, I do go on 4chan and I've never been banned.

feelsgoodman

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 2:23 pm

While I don't intentionally cause trouble on forums, like those found on WP or AC, I used to cause a lot of misery on Usenet. Many are the times Godwin's Law was invoked because of something reactionary that I wrote (especially about Robert Mapplethorpe and Sen. Jesse Helm's reaction to the so-called Piss Christ, even though that so-called masterpiece was privately funded. I still feel the piece should be banned from public exhibition, as I and quite a few other people found it offensive.)