New here, I have questions about acquiring diagnoses.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CantSwim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2015, 3:23 am

Hello everyone, my name is Tyler.

Between the 'funny' stories about when I was a little kid, the trouble I had throughout school and now my difficulties of maintaining a facade to work my way through a job or relationship I think enough puzzle pieces have been put together.

I suspect myself of being somewhere within the spectrum and, as a 23 year old, I am unsure where to start looking for answers. Most of the resources that come up on the internet are geared for children and the search gets distressing.
So I am here to ask for a little guidance, or wisdom now.

Should I try hitting up a neurologist?
What about a therapist? What should they specialize in?

Thank you for reading, I've been in a bad place for a while but am friendly and enjoy talking sometimes (through text mainly).

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 7:17 am

It's hard to give any specific advice but these are pieces of advice I've heard from people in the 2 years I've been here since this is a commonly asked question.

You should try and look a lot into autism and list any symptoms you believe you have. I imagine it varies from country to country and I have no idea where you are but you can then make an appointment with a doctor about your concerns. They don't always listen and in which case you can always come back here because there have been people who have also had GPs tell them things like "it's a children's disorder" or that kind of thing. But the more prepared you are hopefully the more they listen and they can then refer you on. At least I think that's how it works.

Good luck and I hope others have more advice than this, I just saw nobody had responded yet because WP's always inactive around this time. My "route" for diagnosis (it's getting there) differs a lot from this so I don't have any personal experience to add in, sorry.

CantSwim
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2015, 1:10 pm

Of course, sorry!
My location is the United States, Baltimore.

Thank you very much for the input, I'll start a journal of all my memories and such.

I can almost understand why an uninformed practitioner might call it a 'children's disorder', as I've grown I've learned to blend a bit more and seem more 'normal' as I do hate to stick out. At the same time it is hard work trying to be like everyone else and has made me extremely depressed.

Part of why I posted was because I had been seeing a therapist for alleged depression/anxiety. At some point I brought up the notion that I could possibly be on the spectrum and she brushed it off suggesting ADD instead. Surely there are different therapists for different things, maybe bringing the idea up to that particular kind of therapist was a bad move, but has left me unsure overall.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 1:17 pm

CantSwim wrote:

I'm not too sure how it works for the US but I imagine it's similar to what I've said. I'm in the UK, sorry. :?

CantSwim wrote:
suggesting ADD instead

It might be ADD. There are a lot of overlaps between them. It is worth finding out if it's either of them, though.

I'll do a little digging around the site if I can but the search feature only works occasionally at the moment. I do recommend you stay here though, even if it is ADD since there are also people with that here too. :P

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 1:36 pm

College student? Sometimes a college disability office can help. Ditto, family doctor, if you've got one.

Doesn't matter too much what diagnosis you get, if any, so long as you solve whatever problems you need to solve.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 1:39 pm

CantSwim wrote:
Of course, sorry!

Thank you very much for the input, I'll start a journal of all my memories and such.

I can almost understand why an uninformed practitioner might call it a 'children's disorder', as I've grown I've learned to blend a bit more and seem more 'normal' as I do hate to stick out. At the same time it is hard work trying to be like everyone else and has made me extremely depressed.

Part of why I posted was because I had been seeing a therapist for alleged depression/anxiety. At some point I brought up the notion that I could possibly be on the spectrum and she brushed it off suggesting ADD instead. Surely there are different therapists for different things, maybe bringing the idea up to that particular kind of therapist was a bad move, but has left me unsure overall.

In the United States, a clinical psychologist is the person who is qualified to make a diagnosis. A therapist is not qualified, and you could have both ADD and autism spectrum. They are not exclusive. It's also a little silly for the uninformed to think that autism/Asperger's syndrome goes "poof"! and magically disappears at age 21. Coping mechanisms may be found, but our brains stay the same.

Try to find someone with experience in diagnosing autism spectrum or developmental disorders if possible. You can search by state here: http://www.autismsource.org. Click on the Search button, select Maryland, then Baltimore, and check "Diagnosis" to just show you diagosticians. It looks like Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center has group for treating autism, plus there are some other practices in the area. If you are going to university, your university mental health center may provide diagnosis and treatment for free. Some insurance does cover diagnosis and treatment for adults (mine covered my tests, after some searching and being stubborn). Hope this helps!

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 3:29 pm

CantSwim wrote:
...I am unsure where to start looking for answers...

CantSwim - My own personal search began when I was 49. Several months before I decided to pursue a formal diagnoses, I spent a lot of time reading books (on Asperger’s). I would go to the library and read every book I could find on the topic. The most important book (for me) was Tony Attwood’s book (“The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome”). When I finally decided to pursue a formal diagnosis, I chose someone who focused on only doing assessments and who had experience diagnosing Asperger’s. Good luck.

Callista wrote:
College student? Sometimes a college disability office can help. Ditto, family doctor, if you've got one.

Doesn't matter too much what diagnosis you get, if any, so long as you solve whatever problems you need to solve.

Callista – Welcome back. I haven’t seen you around here in a while.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 3:29 pm

This is the most recent and most relevant thread I could dig up. While not all of it is going to be relevant, I hope there is some useful stuff in there. :)

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=255649