Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 3:43 pm

Does anyone here use assisted employment services? That is, people who help you with your resume/interviews, and who work with you on the job site until you can comfortably do it for yourself? I'm starting the process and will be having my first meeting with a "vocation counselor" in nine days, but I'm nervous because I have no idea what to expect. Anyone care to share some insight?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 5:51 pm

You really should try out for Starfleet!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 6:28 pm

Seriously: I really hope they don't try to guide you toward a menial job in something like retail/fast food

I don't remember how much college you've had--aren't you a graduate?

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2015, 8:03 pm

i did it but i found the jobs to be so menial and below my ability that i was really turned off by it. it made me feel really bad. i wasn't trying to be better than anyone else but i'm not super disabled.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:02 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Does anyone here use assisted employment services? That is, people who help you with your resume/interviews, and who work with you on the job site until you can comfortably do it for yourself? I'm starting the process and will be having my first meeting with a "vocation counselor" in nine days, but I'm nervous because I have no idea what to expect. Anyone care to share some insight?

Generally, those people are there to help you. And when you become successful, this in turn helps them be it with credibility, or monetary reasons. I've been to both in the past... well a work source program, and I've been working through temp services for years.

Their very friendly, nice, and understanding from my experience. Just be sure to give it all you got, and make it worth their while.

You'll have some new faithful friends, then. Basically, just be ready to listen, learn, and follow instructions as best you can. Be sure to ask questions when you need to.

You may have to answer a lot of questions and fill out a bunch of paper work, so come prepared with all the personal information you may need.

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity, and you should just relax, be thankful, and maybe a little excited. :)

I think you will do well. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:04 pm

Yep...She's definitely Starfleet Material!

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep...She's definitely Starfleet Material!

Hi Kraftie!

How are you? I like both you guys. You always seem to genuinely try to encourage other people, and tend to brighten the mood of most threads you post to. :D

Hey, I lurked for a long time before participating. :wink:

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:18 pm

Oh boy....just be prepared lol that's all I can say. I have been dealing with incompetence since day 1 people whom talk a lot and produce very very little.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:23 pm

Hey Marcb0t,

My older brother's name is Marc.

I hope you enjoy yourself here.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:29 pm

JoelFan wrote:
Oh boy....just be prepared lol that's all I can say. I have been dealing with incompetence since day 1 people whom talk a lot and produce very very little.

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone can escape that, at least when you're starting out at the bottom. But as you are able to find more professional opportunities in life later on, that will generally change.

I work with a lot of people who might be considered, "the dreggs of society", but we don't have to conform to that image. When I'm on the job, since I know it so well now, I try to help and give people advice that will help them become better workers. Not everybody cares or listens, but I figure it's their problem, not mine. As long as I get a paycheck, and do my best, that's all that counts. :)

You'll find "bad apples" anywhere you go in life. But you'll learn how to deal with it. Those kind of people generally don't stick around, anyway.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hey Marcb0t,

My older brother's name is Marc.

I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Why thank you!

Yeah, I normally go by Marcus in the real world, but you are welcome to call me Marc or bolt brain, or whatever. Nicknames are cool! I really like it when people call me marcb0t in the real world, though it's embarrassing to ask people to call me that, as it exposes my true inner rob0t self. :oops:

And yes, I'm enjoying this Wrong Planet experience. And, yessss! I am now officially a "tufted titmouse". Don't know the significance, but yiiaaaahh! 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:41 pm

There should be a category called "Emu." They have the egg...shouldn't they have the bird, too?

Emus are swift birds, and they speak Aussie.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 10:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There should be a category called "Emu." They have the egg...shouldn't they have the bird, too?

Emus are swift birds, and they speak Aussie.

Perhapsh, they should. I might strike up a conversation with one sometime. We got some emus just a couple of houses down in my neighboorhood... and peacocks, horses, goats, cows, and.... well, I kinda live out in rural area. :P

EDIT: Darn, I said too much. I'm a Woodpecker now... we got those too!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 10:04 pm

JoelFan wrote:

Aye. Been there, done that.

It's not like something like this CANT work, but... dont make the mistake of assuming that it WILL. I've seen people go into this thinking it's definitely a done deal, and then months later... they cant figure out why they're still not employed. And I went through it myself, too, way back when.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm

Misery wrote:
JoelFan wrote:

Aye. Been there, done that.

It's not like something like this CANT work, but... dont make the mistake of assuming that it WILL. I've seen people go into this thinking it's definitely a done deal, and then months later... they cant figure out why they're still not employed. And I went through it myself, too, way back when.

True, it's important to "not count yer chickens before they hatch". But perseverance is key, as with getting anything good in life.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 11:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Seriously: I really hope they don't try to guide you toward a menial job in something like retail/fast food

I don't remember how much college you've had--aren't you a graduate?

As much as I wish I could apply for Starfleet Academy, I don't think they're accepting new recruits right now! :)

Yes, I'll have my bachelor's in psychology come August, and I'm in the process of collecting experience to put on a grad school resume. When I spoke to the vocational rehab people, I specified that I hoped to find a job involving psychology, so I'll have to see what they come up with.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!